Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Friday, May 8, 2009

The Missing Place...and Another Place You Won't Often Find Me...

I woke up a few hours ago, suddenly overcome with the heaviness of grief. Overcome with the "missing", as I often refer to it in real life. You see, I am not in the fresh throws of grief over the losses in my life, like so many are (so many that are on my heart daily). I have written about the beauty that comes from the ashes of our sorrow...the sufficient grace we are blessed with daily. Of the hope we have in Jesus. And, the truth is that we do have hope...and that when He makes the beauty in our lives the ugliness of the ashes for the most part fades away. When He does a new thing, He does a new thing...the old passes away. I cried many tears, oceans of tears in the thick of my grief, but God has restored my joy. Completely, abundantly restored my joy. I say that so that you will have hope. The same God who carried me through the storms of grief will carry you too, if you cry out to Him. And He will restore your joy, as well.

In saying that, I hope what I am about to say does not take away from the steadfast truth that our joy is restored. There is still something that we will always carry, until we are in Heaven's glory. Something that will not be fully restored until that sweet day of redemption. There is a place that most of the time is masked as I walk through my days. I call it the place of "missing". Something can sweep past me and unmask the covering over that tender spot in my heart...the spot of missing. And the ache will wash over me anew...the ache of missing the one who is lost. The spot is tender and raw and the ache is deep. It could be a memory that suddenly appears. It could be the sorrow of seeing someone else walking in the valley of shadow of death. It could be the changing of seasons as the winds blow in, reminding us of the passing of time, and days gone by.

Although I spend a lot of time with those who grieve...praying for them...walking with them...seeking ways to support them...remembering my own days of great sorrow so that I can have compassion and understanding...I do not consider myself one to wallow in my grief. Those who know me probably wouldn't describe me as melancholy or a woman of sorrows. Probably, a better description (one I like better, anyway) is my friend Dinah's mother, Ruth who always referred to me as the "girl who laughs".
But there are days...moments when the "missing" comes, and it will...as long as I walk this Earth.

Mother's Day is this weekend, and the "missing" is so strong this morning...the missing of the generations surrounding me. I am so grateful for the gift of being a mother. So thankful to see my boys live life with such zeal...the kind of zeal that only boys can display! So grateful that that I am called "mom". I'm also thankful for the short time I was allowed to mother Faith and Grace...for the tender moments I carried them within me and learned their personalities...for the gift of briefly holding them in my arms...and that I was allowed to see them wearing pink lace and ribbons, if only for their funeral. I'm so grateful for the time I was given with sweet Thomas...for all the lessons his life taught us about faith, and believing without seeing...for the moments I held him in my arms...for the moment he opened his eyes and looked up at his mama...for the immense privilege of singing to him as he went straight from my arms to the arms of Jesus. I'm thankful that I have been allowed to tell their story, and that others have been comforted through our ministry because of their brief lives...lives that hold precious value. And I am thankful that I am my mother's daughter...that God redeemed the years the moth had eaten and restored the broken places in our relationship before she passed. Thankful that He showed her His great love for her and that she received it. I am thankful that she no longer feels the physical pain that wreaked havoc on her body the last ten years of her life. Thankful that her arms no longer ache for her grand babies, and her heart no longer aches to be loved perfectly. I'm thankful for her grace and beauty and all the gifts she gave me in this life.

I am thankful...but aching...and missing...missing them.

After Mother's Day, comes Memorial Day. And, with a Marine as my step dad and also a Marine brother-in-law, Memorial Day is not something that means just a day off school (although we are always happy to have a day off school!). Attending the Memorial Day Parade and Ceremony is not negotiable. And we have come to love it...to cherish it...to instill in our children the importance of honoring and remembering those who have sacrificed their lives for our freedom...to honor the memory of those who have gone before us. I expect my boys to wave their flag with pride and put their hand over their hearts when the flag passes by and keep it there until every last veteran parades past.

Why am I talking about Memorial Day in the middle of my post about the "missing place"? Well, because it's also a day where all the cemetery plots are decorated nicely because many will be visiting on that day to pay their respects. The cemetery is on my mind this morning. I've had a little tugging on my heart to take out some flowers and to check on the graves of my babies and my mother. I don't want them to look sloppy when everyone else's look cared for and loved. (Although my step dad religiously visits my mother's grave and cares for it...as do others in our family.)The thing is...I am not a very good grave caretaker or visitor of graves...at all. Sometimes years have passed without me visiting. I know this is a tender subject. I see so many of you visiting and caring for the graves of your children. I know that in a way, it is an act of mothering for many. And that some find great peace and comfort in such a beautiful serene place. And, I can understand that and there is
beauty in it...in that act of love. In the early days of my grief when my arms ached so desperately to hold my babies, I did visit more...needing to perform some act of mothering...even if it just meant putting flowers on a grave. I hope you won't judge me for struggling with it, myself.

Many feel close to their child or loved one at the cemetery. I do not. I do not wish to remember that day of raw grief. I do not wish to think of them there. The ache is smothering for me in that place. And the finality that I don't believe to be true. It just doesn't bring me comfort. And sometimes, I feel guilty that I don't visit. I have even tried a couple times. And, I will say, it is easier for me to visit the grave of my children than my mother's. I will pull in sometimes and start to walk toward it...and then back away. I just cannot. I take comfort from thinking of them alive and in heaven with Jesus...where I know that they are. And, I know those of you who visit the grave...many of you take comfort in heaven's promise as well. But for me, I do not even wish to look upon the grave.

This year, I am going though. I may not stay. I may quickly put the stakes of my floral arrangement in the ground and back away from the smothering ache. But, I will go. And I will leave pretty flowers in a place that seems dull and gray to me. A picture of beauty from ashes. And when I leave and the ache comes like it has come this morning, I will take some time to weep in my Father's lap...for the daughters and son my arms still ache for and for the mother's voice I long to hear. He will wipe my tears and remind me that I will hold them again and I will hear her voice. And...when that sweet, sweet day comes it will take away, forever, the ache of the missing place. And, I'll never have to visit the grave of someone I love...ever again.

13 comments:

Holly said...

You know, that's how it is for me-suddenly hits me. Most of my days I am very happy and mostly myself. I have no idea why I am not swallowed with grief over my recent loss. God's grace? I think so. Because of this I have a hard time relating to other mothers. My grief seems totally different.

You are right in saying that there is something we'll always carry. A piece missing. I've really mostly forgotten this weekend is Mother's Day. I sent cards to my mothers and I'll prolly call too on that day. I think we will go to the cemetery too. The last time we were there Carleigh's marker was not up yet and I don't like seeing one not there. I almost couldn't even find her. I would love for it to be up this time.

Thanks for writing things so beautifully.

Jennifer Ross said...

You are a wonderful woman. A wonderful mother. A wonderful writer of "posts".LOL It's nice to see the whole "you". We all know that it has been many years for you, and I'm sure not one of us has asked ourselves, "doesn't that lady miss her children"? You have used your pain to help others through the same pain.

I don't go up to Isaiah's grave as much as I did in the beginning. Maybe because of all the bed rest that I was on. I felt so bad about it, then I realized that I have him all around me. He is in my heart and soul. I can do my blog and I feel like I'm honoring his life. I realized that I can do so many other things to honor him than just going to his grave. I wrote that poem about going and visiting his grave, and it is just the WORST pain in the world. I really sat and thought about how I could put my "heart" into words. I would lay in my bed and just think it out for days. I figured the best way to describe it was to write what I do when I'm there, and how I feel during the whole visit. Sounds pretty easy, but the ovderwhelming feeling that I get at his grave was not easy to explain. I knew that the reader would understand, especially if they have lost a son or daughter.

Anyway, I respect how you feel about going to your children's graves. I have so much guilt all of the time. With everything. I am trying to get it under control, so it doesn't have control over me. It is the enemy, and I know that the Lord wants me to let go of the guilt, and fall on him.

It has brought me much joy to be your friend and share posts together. I have had so much healing, and processed my grief so well, by having the women in my life who share the same loss. I felt so alone in the beginning, now I'm in a circle of friends who help carry me on my good and bad days.

God is my provider of this healing, and holds my little Isaiah until I am able. I can't think of a more loving thought than our loving creator wrapping His arms around our children. Oh what love!

So I thank you today for being a wonderful friend, while juggling the job of wife and mother. Thank you for your heart. HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

Tammy On the Go said...

I feel like I am looking in the window of a room I never want to enter when I read these different blogs from my new friends, such as you, kelly. Grief has not entered my house like this. It will one day in some form or fashion, that is just life. I know this life is not my home either.
I rest in the same hope as you. My hope is in Heaven. My treasures are there.
Thank you for being one more person in my life to remind me of this wonderful truth. And as life happens, I pray I will glorify our King with every step that I take as well.

Snarky Belle said...

I am in tears as I read this. So heartbreakingly beautiful.

I just felt relief wash over me as I read your words regarding the cemetary. In the 12 years since my daughter's death, I have visited that spot no more than 6-7 times. I do live many hours away, but even when I visit my hometown, I rarely visit the cemetary.

I have never felt close to my daughter there. I know she isn't there, I know she is with Jesus. And, when I pull through the gates of the cemetary, I'm immediately yanked back to the overwhelming grief and devastation.

I have often felt as though by not visiting, I am failing my daughter. I feel tremendous guilt when I hear of others who visit frequently. As if I am allowing my pain to overtake my motherly duties. So, that's why this post means so much to me. It feels good to know I am not the only mother who doesn't visit. And, you have reminded me that I am not failing my daughter.

Thank you Kelly, thank you.

Carol said...

PERFECT description....I am in my "missing place". I love my kids and my grandbabies SOOOOO much, there is no imagining what it would be like to lose them. I follow so many of the babies that have been lost and who are struggling, don't know why, but I do, and it saddens me, yet it stengthens me to see the journey and the survival. You seem to be a wonderul mom, and yes, blessed to be called mom, as I am. MY mom was older than yours, but just a pillar of strength and health until that darn "C" word hit, and no matter the age, I MISS MY MOM! Now, when I cry for no apparent reason to anyone else, no explanation needed....I am in my "missing place" for a while. I'll be back when I am done. Have a wonderful Mother's day, and thank God for having had the beauty of a wonderful mother in your life...we were granted that for whatever time God allowed...some had never experienced such joy and love. My mom was the absolute greatest mom ever put on this earth (and I am sure yours was too). Thank you God, for Mothers! Love, Carol

September said...

Kelly - I woke up this morning with your name on my heart and my mind. I asked the Lord to be with you today,, this weekend,. to grant you an added measure of comfort. I didn't know why your name was so ever-present on my mind when I woke up, and then I sat to read some blogs this afternoon. HE works in Mighty ways!
I am thinking of you friend.
That missing place always seems to be harder on Holidays like this.
Thank you for sharing your heart. I am always blessed by your posts.

Cat said...

Thank you for the comment on my blog. I appreciated your insight and taking the time to give me your feedback. I've been quite frustrated with Riley. At home, he's independent and does well.

You have a beautiful site - very well written words.

~ Catherine

Mommy (You can call me OM) said...

Thank you for your heartfelt honesty. Your support is much needed, yet it's important to recognize and care for yourself as well.

L said...

Praying for you today.

Your posts have taught me so much in just a few short months Kelly. I see the Beauty now when before it was just the Ashes. The Missing Place is there but I'm not bound by it anymore - it's there because I loved and that's a beautiful thing.

lynette x

Tricia said...

Praying for you sweet friend... that He would minister so sweetly and lovingly to you all through this weekend.

Thank you for being so transparent and sharing with us... your faith and dependency on God are an inspiration.

Blessings!

Linda said...

Amen, Amen, Amen!

God is using you in a mighty way to help me keep my head up! Memorial Day, what a day this year that will be as my husband serves in Iraq and I do my best to take care of our home and our children. There is so much to be said for those of us who put this uniform on every day.

As for your visit, your love for your children and your song to them brought tears to my eyes.

I know my neighbors probably think I'm crazy when I talk to the yellow and black butterfly's but that is my way of knowing he's here with me in spirit and so I do talk to him and watch his every move.

Blessing to you today!

The Gypsy Mama said...

What a beautiful, brave testimony - thanks for sharing it with others!

Kathryn @ Expectant Hearts said...

I clicked the link from today's Walking with you post to this one. I have a friend who graciously came alongside when we were losing Seth, as she had experienced similar 20 years ago. She says she's "not a cemetery person." I like to go and sit, not because I think Seth is there (for I know he's in Heaven) or because I feel closer to him but because with 3 kids still at home, it's one of the few times I can have quiet and be with my thoughts!

I enjoy this post. I like the phrase "the missing place". I'll have to remember that...