Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Liberty

Welcome to this week's Tuesdays Together in the Word. To join us, please click on the button below:


Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage. ~ Galatians 5:1

Freedom. Men have longed for it, bled and died for it, written about it, spoken fondly of it, and fought to protect it. Families have risked life and limb for the promise of it.

Freedom...liberty. A beautiful gift we enjoy in this great land of ours. A land where we can worship as we please, work where we wish, send our children to the schools we choose, and vote for leaders to uphold the law of our land. We have choices and freedoms that we enjoy and maybe even take for granted everyday. The freedom we enjoy came at a price. Brave men and women have given their lives for the freedom we hold dear. Wives have waited at home, praying for husbands...for the fathers of their children...praying for their safe return. Mothers have said good-bye to sons (and daughters).

Yes, our liberty comes at a dear price. And, although we speak of being free...are we really? We enjoy so many choices, and opportunities are all around. But are we truly free? Are we free from the burdens of sin, selfish choices, our past, debts, the opinions of others, the cares of this world? Do we walk and talk as one who has been freed from the yoke of bondage that once held us in it's grip? The ways of the world that we once followed?

Just as we enjoy freedoms in our country because of the sacrifice of generations of brave men and women, our freedom from the bondage of sin came at a great price. Jesus gave His very life to buy our freedom...to pay our debt...to grant us complete liberty in Him...the ultimate opportunity of a new life, a new identity. He promises to make us a new creation in Him, cleansing us and forgiving us of our sins...freeing us from the bondage of all that entangles us...all that wears us down, all that is keeping us from being the person He intended us to be. He wants us to be free to spread our wings and soar.

I often find myself feeling burdened and entangled. Sometimes it is with the day-to-day schedule. The to-do list. The mounting disorganization of my house, my purse, my car, my office/basement, my thoughts...my entire life! I don't always "feel" free. Sometimes I feel like the prisoner who has been set free, and stands in the cell with the doors wide open. He just has to walk through. Like I'm holding my breath and waiting for life to begin. Like I'm just putting my head down and surviving the day, instead of really living the most of each moment. Seeking what the Lord has for me in every breath. The prison walls have come tumbling down. He has granted me complete freedom. He wants to see me fly... and sometimes, I just stand there.

Please don't get me wrong. I know that I am already completely free in Him. He has already granted me that freedom, and in many ways, I do take His hand and experience the joy of walking in liberty. But sometimes, I sense that there is more freedom from the burdens of this world...that He has something more for me that I have yet to grasp. A different way to live. A freedom that I sometimes experience...sometimes I have tasted a hint of what He has for me. Sometimes, my flesh is quiet and my spirit feels fully free...unburdened, unentangled by the cares of this world, complete. Other times, it is a great battle to stand fast in the the liberty by which Christ has made us free...a "taking every thought captive into the obedience of Christ" battle.

Why is it a battle? Because I grow weary when I try to go out over and over in my own strength. I grow weary of the ways of this world, the inadequacies of my flesh, the ugliness of my sin. Weary of my out-of-order list of priorities. Weary is not good.

And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith. ~ Galatians 6:9-10

And...what helps us to keep from getting weary? What reminds us of the beautiful freedom we have in the arms of our Lord? Encouragement...how I have longed for encouragement today. And, I found it in His Word. (Big surprise!) :)

And may the Lord make you increase and abound in love to one another and to all, just as we do to you, so that He may establish your hearts blameless in holiness before our God and Father at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ with all His saints. ~ Galatians 3:12-13

So, we must stand fast in liberty...Keep our eyes on Jesus, and Keep on Keeping on in Him...abounding in love, resisting weariness, and resting in the promise of the sweet freedom that is ours if we surrender all to the One who set us free.

10 comments:

Holly said...

Thank you for posting Galatians 6:9-10.

I truly want to be free in Jesus! That is the only freedom in this world that truly matters. Thanks for this wonderful post!

Linda said...

Kelly, so true - As I spend this year without the love of my life I see first hand that freedom isn't free! http://hisbootshittheground.blogspot.com/
But like you say here, So, we must stand fast in liberty...Keep our eyes on Jesus, and Keep on Keeping on in Him...
I will, for he's holding me minute by minute while his son does what he needs him to do!

Big Hugs to you today!

Blog is no more said...

Great truths in your post today...

Keep on keeping on.

Blessings,
Sharon

Snarky Belle said...

Beautiful post (as usual)!

Thank you for your thoughts. I need to work on unburdening and detangling. Thanks for the inspiration!

Laurie Ann said...

Kelly, your post couldn't have come at a better time for me. I'm reading and re-reading it. I'm feeling downcast and burdened today and the liberty is there for the taking! How quickly I forget not to let myself become tangled up...

September said...

Kelly,
Your posts always help me see things a little clearer. Thank you for sharing your hear once again. Blogs can be such an encouragement, can't they? Two songs came to my mind while reading this today- " Turn your eyes Upon Jesus," and "I Surrender All." Detangling life is so important.
Also, because of your post a week ago about visiting the cemetary, I took this as a nudge to do the same. Thank you. Wow - this was difficult. I , too, am not one to visit there. It does not bring me comfort, but my visit on Mothers Day was healing. We have never ordered a headstone for the three babies, bbut now I am inspired to do this. I NEED to do this. Thank you for your song and video. I cried. It was special for me to see this. We share similar losses, you and I. Praise the Lord for other believers.

Anonymous said...

Such strength in your words, your thoughts. As Laurie Ann said, this is a post to reread and attempt to grasp. God does encourage us through His powerful Word and I am so very grateful that He gave His Words to us. ~ linda

Joyeful said...

Wow, this was a tremendous post, Kelly! There is so much truth in here--that Christ sacrificed so much for our freedom and sometimes we still choose to walk around tied to the toils of this world. I love the way you write from your heart and so beautifully, too. Thank you for being used by Jesus, Kelly.

You always encourage me!

Jennifer Ross said...

It's not easy, but we must keep "fighting" for Jesus. The rewards are so great!

Taking Heart said...

I am a first time visitor to your blog, it is lovely. Your story is touching and I pray your mission touches many!