Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

What Matters

Welcome to this week's Tuesdays Together in the Word. To join us, please click on the button below:



Busyness abounds in our lives. We rush around with full schedules, running here and there...working, building, making a home. Many of the things we are doing are good things, fun things, necessary things. But they still take our time and focus. Almost everyone around me seems a little stretched for time, a little busy. And, I am most certainly included among those who are frazzled and at times even overwhelmed with the day-to-day demands of this life. I've written many times about it...about my jumbled priorities and disorganization...about feeling overwhelmed. Much of it is necessary. Much of it is good. But, how much of it really matters? And how much of it could we do without?

This week's scriptures are excellent words to remind us of what really matters, starting with this:
For when he dies he shall carry nothing away;
His glory shall not descend after him.
~Psalm 49:17


Psalm 49 talks about those who focus all their time and energy on building wealth and glory. Please don't misunderstand, we have to work to make a living and we should focus some of our time and energy on that. We have to make a home, pay our bills, support our churches and ministries. But, how much of our focus is on material things? Are we seeking to have more than we need...to always have something more or bigger? Are we seeking glory in the things of this world? And, I love the message of this Psalm...you cannot take any of it with you. What does it really matter? What really matters is where we will be spending eternity...not how much stuff we accumulated on this earth and how much glory we achieved.

So...what really matters? What should really be the focus of our attention, the desire of our hearts, the attitude with which we approach the day's agenda? Let's look to Philippians chapter 4 to find out.

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. ~ Philippians 4:6-7

We are not to be anxious or overwhelmed when we look at the needs before us...but instead we should pray with a thankful heart, and trust the Lord to handle what lies ahead. In return, He fills us with peace as a trade for our anxiety...and not peace as the world gives us. Not a fleeting moment of peace, but a deep abiding peace that comes from a loving, able God...a peace that is not dependent on circumstances...a peace that surpasses all human understanding. A peace that guards our hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Oh...sweet peace.

What should we focus our thoughts on?

Finally brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy - meditate on these things. ~ Phil. 4:8

Guess what, if you read to verse nine, you'll find that the trade-off for focusing our thoughts on the things which are true, noble, just, pure, lovely and of good report is...more peace. Peace sounds so much better than frazzled and overwhelmed...so much better.

Another good place to be...resting in the arms of our Father, trusting Him to meet our needs...no matter what state we are in. No matter how things look with our limited human eyes. Knowing that He is not only able...but willing to meet all of our needs.

Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~Phil. 4:11-13


How can we learn to be content everywhere and in all things? Because, we know the One who promises to meet all of our needs according to His riches and glory...

And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus. Now to our God and Father be glory forever and ever. Amen. ~ Phil. 4:18-20

6 comments:

Holly said...

Our lives can sure get busy quickly!! And things that are truly important, like spending time in the Word, get pushed aside in the hustle and bustle of daily life. I definitely need to take a step back, take a deep breath, and reprioritize. I don't care much for material things. I don't need a fancy house or car or lots of money to be happy. I have my family. I have God. I enjoy helping others. That is enough for me.

Jennifer Ross said...

I like how you included Psalm 49:17. That is a verse that I remind myself of often. I have stayed at home with my boys there whole life. By doing this, we have sacrificed a whole other income that could be brought into our home, for "things". When life gets a little difficult, I remind myself that someone out in the world has it a lot worse than me, and that helps me to be thankful for what God has given me. We have all that we need. When I am feeling bad about "money" issues, I remind myself that everything we physically get, will not be with us for very long. The way that I raise my boys, will be passed on to generations to come. That is the eternal "things" that I choose to focus on.

Great post!

C.C. and Double T said...

Amen! I really needed to read this today!!! Thank you for sharing.

Spud said...

I really love your Tuesday posts. They always lift me up. Thanks!

Mary

Laurie Ann said...

Oh what great Words and words for today! Thank you so much. Busyness does abound and you've given some excellent thoughts on getting caught up in Christ and His peace.

Jennifer said...

I love that peace....that we can trade for anxiety and that is ours to claim - a peace that often doesn't seem logical or too fit with all that is going on in our lives - but peace, nevertheless!

Great scriptures today - thanks for sharing.