Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Friends and Seasons



You know how they say there are different seasons of our lives? And some people are only in our lives for a season. Well, I don't like that very much. It's one of the reasons (one among many) that I'm going to love heaven. No more good-byes. No one that will only be in our lives for a season.

I'm not feeling very well today, and there is supper that needs cooking, a tired, hungry husband who would appreciate the aforementioned supper, a little boy that needs tickled, and a teenager somewhere that I'm sure has been saving up some sass just for me. So, I will try to be brief. Also, as an added bonus, it is a chilly, rainy day. Now I know some of you out there love you a good rainy day. I am not really a fan...unless of course I am allowed to spend it in my bed under the covers with a good book, which is really where I wanted to be all day today. But, I wasn't. I was at work...so I didn't love the rainy day. Anyway, my mood is a little cloudy. Sorry about that.

On my mind today are those friends in my life who have been so dear to me...but only stayed for a season. As far as friends go, Tim and I are quite blessed with some pretty amazing people. We live in the town where we grew up and our children attend the school where we went as children. I even work at my childhood school, alongside my childhood teachers. We love our church family and love to spend Saturday evening and Sunday morning with them. We have friends that have been in our lives since we were twelve (and...even younger than that!). Friends that have supported us through the losses we've endured...through my mother's illness...who support us in our efforts to serve through our ministry...friends who laugh and cry and pray with us. I have friends to golf with, talk with, reminisce with, and lunch and shop with. Some friends...special, dear friends walked with us through the valley of the shadow of death (more than once). And I mean walked with!

Some friends just get you...you know what I mean? It's so great to connect...to find people who know you (flaws included) and love you anyway. Friends you can just "be" with...no effort, no facade...just be. We all need a place where we are just loved and accepted. No strings attached. I have had a few friends like that. And recently...one of my favorite lunching shopping, being-"me"-with friends has moved on to a new season. It is a mutual drifting as we are going separate ways, but I am not a fan of this moving on. It breaks my heart that we change and tear away from relationships. I like the never say good-bye part of heaven. On my mind today are several sweet friends who spent much time walking through various journeys with me, but who are in another season now. I miss them.

Lately, I have less time and interest in the lunching/shopping stuff. (Not that I've spent an overabundance of time doing these things before.) But I find myself kind of nestling in with my family and focusing more on the needs before me. I want to enjoy life...and I am a huge fan of fun! But, I also have appreciated something in blogland that I haven't found much in real life friendships (although there are a few dear friends who have been supportive - and you know who you are! Thank you!). In blogland, I have found some who are really focused on reaching out to comfort grieving families or to share the love of Jesus. While many encourage and support us, and we are so grateful, not many in my life are burdened or understand the passionate desire in my heart for Sufficient Grace Ministries. That's O.K....I understand that. God lays different things on our hearts. It isn't something I can really share and have someone understand.

Until now. I am so thankful for blog friends I have met who share the desire to reach out to others and share the comfort that God has given them as they have walked through various trials. Hearts that are burdened to pray for grieving mothers and to offer them hope. I am blessed and encouraged daily by so many of you. And while my heart breaks for the friendships whose seasons have ended in my life...I rejoice at the new friendships I have been blessed with...the bond of connection that I feel with some I have never met. What a beautiful gift. Thank you for your part in that. Thank you for making this path a little less lonely. A lot less lonely.

Love to all...

16 comments:

Holly said...

I am sorry you are not feeling well and I hope you feel better soon! It is rainy here as well. Rainy enough that our basement has water in it. There are totes floating in the water.

I've definitely had seasons. Close friends come into and out of my life. While I still keep in contact with them on occasion and we still care for each other, the close relationship that was once there is gone. I think distance and being at different stages in life have something to do with that. I'm very blessed to have found such wonderful friends (like you!) over the internet, both in "blogland" and on Cafemom. God bless you and your ministry!!

September said...

Ohhh... Dearest Kelly,
I am so sorry today is one of those days for you. Been there many times,, at least once a week! LOL.. The rain doesn't help , does it? I hope tomorrow will find you feeling better. Will be praying for you as I rise tomorrow.
The other day, after seeing your post with your beatiful voice, I was thinking about the wonderful friends that we have here, and what it would be like if we had some of our blogging friends living closer,,but, I know that the Lord has chosen to place these friends across the miles for a reason. I, too, am thankful for fellow bloggers that listen and care.
Hang in there friend! Isaiah 40:31********** ********

Snarky Belle said...

I'm sorry you aren't feeling well. And good luck with the sass....I know I shouldn't have, but that made me laugh. ;)

Meeting you (even though it's through the blog world, and not real life) has blessed my life. I am thankful to God for giving us the opportunity to find each other. What a gift.

Feel better soon!
(((hugs)))

Megan said...

Kelly....you must be told: YOU, YOUR WORDS, YOUR EFFORTS AND YOUR HEART ARE SUCH A BLESSING. Thank you for taking the time for others. For taking the time with me. i will keep you lifted in prayer.
Peace be with you-Megan

Kristin said...

Blogging has brought me so many friends that just understand me so much better than anyone in my "real" life. Maybe it's because only my blog friends know the real me, my deepest thoughts. I wish we could all pack up and move into the same neighborhood!

Jennifer Ross said...

Thank you for putting your time and talent into your wonderful posts. I know others, like myself, look foward to what you have for us next. No pressure:} I only wish that I lived closer so that we could get together and share "stories". Much love....

April said...

I am new to Wednesday's Walk and I came upon your blog through participating. I am newer to this blogland (as you so truly named it) but I find myself reaching out. I am always happy to see what God will lay before me. I love your creation of "Dreams of You" and think that would have been extremely helpful for my mother when she lost a baby 20 years ago. Thank you for sharing your story and I look forward to following it.

Sally-Ann said...

I hope that you are feeling better soon.
I enjoyed reading your post, it reminded me of friends who have moved on like the seasons. I am with you, I don't like it very much either, but also realize that is how it goes sometimes.
Thankyou

Linda said...

Kelly, I too am sorry you aren't feeling well today. I have had a lot of those days lately. And the rain doesn't help!

I can relate to the friend issue. I have lost special friends for one reason or another, and it hurts....a lot! But I have moved on and the Lord has helped me.

I also love you and thank God for the privilege of being able to meet you through the blogs. You are a very tender woman and your words have ministered to me many times.

I was dragging my feet when my daughters said I should start blogging, but I am so glad I gave in and just let Lynnette set me up.

And now I look forward to Weds. and also Tuesdays Together in the Word, and At The Well, etc.

I don't always get to join in for one reason or another, but when I can I love it!

Sometimes I wonder how long I will blog. It does require a lot of time. But then I think that if I need to cut back I will,...and I think the Lord will make it clear to me. (Or my husband will!) smile

But for here and now I will enjoy it and think of it as a ministry because I can encourage and pray for people's needs, as well as make some new friends.

I count you as my friend sweet Kelly.

Love in Christ,
Linda

Kathryn said...

I don't make friends very easily. I tend to be very shy & lack confidence.

The internet is a lifeline for me in many different areas, but especially in finding folks with similar interests, experiences, or other walks of life & creating new friendships. I am so very thankful for the new friends i have made.

Hope you feel better soon.

Carol said...

I hope you feel better soon and get that smile back on your lovely face. I, too, feel blessed by my new found blog friends. I may have told you this before, but a friend of mine had a beautiful baby, full term, 9 lbs, born still. It has affected me so much. I feel burdened to care for and about her. I tend to be motherly, which may or may not be a good thing, but it is who I am. I care for those with loss. I can not underand it, I have never been through the loss of a child, but I do care deeply for those (and you), who have this loss. All I can do is pray, care, hug (lots of hugs to you), cry with and for. Thinking of you today and crying with and for you, praying for you and sending hugs your way. Carol

Spud said...

I hate rainy days! I hope you are feeling better today. I admire you so much for your heart for ministry and I think you are using your spiritual gifts so very well.

Mary

Kathryn @ Expectant Hearts said...

What a beautiful testimony to friendship! Thank you for sharing. I hope you feel better today!

La Familia Garcia said...

Who knew that blogging friends was really even possible?
Another blessing from God!

Unknown said...

Dear Kelly,
It's the days just like that that make us appreciate the days not like that - don't you think? ;)

I'm so glad that we've crossed paths and I DO understand your desire to reach out and touch the lives of hurting people. I don't think it's possible for those who haven't lost children to truly understand that passion because it's not how God has worked in their lives. You know?

I hope that today is a better day and that the sun will shine again for you so that you can laugh and enjoy a lighthearted day.

I'll pray for you right now.
Love,
Lynnette

Unknown said...

Thank you for allowing me to be a part of this blog season of your life. Tahnk you for your ministry, and your heart for people.