Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Living

I've talked a little about sometimes feeling like I'm just merely surviving the day and not truly living...making the most of each day. Yesterday, I mentioned the rain...and a bit of a melancholy spirit. Today, was not a day of just surviving. Today, the sun was shining...and I was living...truly living.

I was blessed to attend the Special Olympics in our area today. The entire first grade class of the student I work with was allowed to attend the Olympics to support their classmate, who was participating. So, we loaded on the bus equipped with signs to hold up as we cheered him on. It was a beautiful day, which began with a storm...but ended with sunshine and held some moments in the middle that I will never forget.

He ran the first race like lightning, with his walker wheels flying, to the finish, where I stood waiting and cheering him on to victory. His efforts earned a first place ribbon...which he accepted with a big grin on his face. As he lined up for the next race, it appeared that he would be the only one competing in his division. His class began chanting "Go_________, Go!" Soon, the entire section of the field stopped what they were doing and joined the chant, cheering on this determined, precious soul. He slowed his pace and stopped in the middle of the track to turn to his class as they shouted his name. The energy was electrifying as more voices joined those already cheering. The moment was overwhelming. Tears streamed down my face...and even now, as I write these words, the tears come. My heart swelled with pride for his accomplishment, and humility that God notices every little one of us. He gave him that moment, with the entire stands shouting his name, cheering him on. That beautiful, amazing moment. "Keep going, dear one. I love you...I see you...you are a much loved, dearly treasured gift. I delight over you with singing." As I stood in the shadow of his moment, I felt the same words being whispered into my soul, nourishing, restoring, strengthening me. The same God who caused strangers to rise to their feet and shout the name of a child they did not know, loves me...sings over me...sees me as a dearly loved, treasured gift.

I ran beside him for a moment, reminding him to finish the race and he ran into the arms of his dad...with another big grin...and another blue ribbon.

And today...today was about living. Really living...

So, dear ones: Finish the race...your Dad is waiting at the finish line with His arms wide open...waiting for you...

(Oh...and thank you all for your prayers and kind thoughts. I am still physically under the weather, but my spirit is encouraged!)

8 comments:

Lisa said...

That story is so precious! I have a child with special needs and it just brought tears to my eyes!!!

Holly said...

That was nice his class went to support him during his races and to begin the cheering for him! I really like how your last line encorporates the story you just shared with us. It is encouraging!

Spud said...

That's a beautiful story. Special Olympics is such a wonderful organization.

Kristin said...

Oh Kelly, picturing this as you described it made the tears just start falling! Oh what a wonderful experience that must have been! If we could only love each other and cheer each other on like that all the time, can you imagine how much better our world would be. If we could quit worrying about our own selves and view each other the way that God views us, loving us for the own unique gifts that he gave us. Thank you so much for this post.....what a beautiful story!

Jennifer Ross said...

What a new and refreshing way to look today towards our Father.

Ms. Sarah said...

I have two specail needs kids. Both are autistic. The story just melted my heart. I worked with the specail needs kids in my high school. Loved everyminute of it.

Tammy On the Go said...

You are breathing Grace...

ReignOverUs said...

I loved this story! I work with the Special Olympics and those kids make me want to live everyday like it's my last! They are so inspirational! Glad you are feeling better!