Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Friday, July 9, 2010

Favorite Bible Verses

This week at Kelly's Korner, bloggers are sharing favorite bible verses. I have been thinking about that this morning, and feel compelled to take part...only I cannot choose just one. There are several, and even this list will not cover them all. The wonderful thing about the Word of God is that it is living...Holy Spirit-breathed truth that is always able to speak to a seeking heart in every circumstance. Sometimes the same verse can speak to you in a different way at a different time.

Some of my favorite verses over the course of my life-journey so far...


Love this promise that reminds me over and over again of the new life I've been given in Jesus...
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. ~ 2 Corinth. 5:17

This verse is the one from which we chose the names for our sweet Faith and Grace. Over the years, this verse has spoken to me so many times...reminding me of the gift of grace I have been given...reminding me that there is nothing I can do to earn this precious gift...reminding me that even the works that we do, He has prepared for us in advance, that He created us with a purpose in mind for His glory...

For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them. ~ Ephesians 2:8-10

Thomas' verse...sweet Thomas, how your life taught us about believing without seeing:
Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”
~ John 20:29

When my mother was diagnosed with cancer...and many other moments of my life, when I needed to remember to look at the unseen promises of eternity...

Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. 17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, 18 while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal. ~ 2 Corinth. 16-18

The promise God whispered to my heart over and over again as my mother's time on this earth was passing quickly...the same promise that inspired the name of our band, One Way...the same promise I have clung to many questioning nights...

“Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. 2 In My Father’s house are many mansions;[a] if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.[b] 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. 4 And where I go you know, and the way you know.”
5 Thomas said to Him, “Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way?”
6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
~ John 14:1-6


Another promise for my mother...and for me...

Even to your old age, I am He,
And even to gray hairs I will carry you!
I have made, and I will bear;
Even I will carry, and will deliver you.
~Isaiah 46:4


It's no secret this verse means a lot to me...oh, how we have experienced His sufficient grace in our lives...
And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” 2 Corinthians 12:9

And, this one, which our ministry is based upon...

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. ~ 2 Corinth. 1:3-4

When life gets tough...when the waters rise...

Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
I have called you by your name;
You are Mine.
When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;
And through the rivers, they shall not overflow you.
When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned,
Nor shall the flame scorch you.
For I am the Lord your God,
The Holy One of Israel, your Savior;
~ Isaiah 43:1b-3a

Do not remember the former things,
Nor consider the things of old.
Behold, I will do a new thing,
Now it shall spring forth;
Shall you know it?
I will even make a road in the wilderness
And rivers in the desert.
~Isaiah 43:18-19


There are so many more, of course, but these are just a few that are especially dear to me. What are some of your favorite verses?

Have a wonderful Friday...and thanks so much for stopping by!

12 comments:

Debbie Petras said...

Kelly, how thankful I am that you didn't settle on just one verse. Only the Lord knew I needed to visit your blog this morning to be reminded of these precious Scriptures. And I love how you focus on His grace. I'm learing to rest ...in Him.

Blessings and love,
Debbie

Kroosreads said...

I love Isaiah 43:1-2,4a. I like to put my name in there and personalize it :)

Kami said...

Thank you for sharing .. I love that you used all of these verses.

Praying for a blessed weekend for you!

Holly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Holly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Holly said...

Oh, gosh, I'm constantly coming across verses that really speak to me. I've always liked Romans 8:38-39

Beth Herring said...

i just love all those verses. it is so hard to pick just one, but one of my all time favorites is:

"And you will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart" (Jeremiah 29:13)

Karin said...

I love how you explained why each verse is meaningful to you. These are a couple of my current favorites, verses that I have clung to over the past year or so to calm my mind and heart.

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.
Romans 15:13

Sometimes I repeat this verse as a mantra when I feel particularly unsettled.
For God did not give us a spirit of fear, but a spirit of power, love and a strong mind.
II Timothy 1:7

Lori said...

I love those...and the sentiments behind them!

I wear on my wrist every day two of my favorites:

"Remember I am with you always." Matthew 28:20

"Never will I leave you or forsake you." Hebrews 13:5

They remind me not matter what, we are always held.

I also adore I Samuel 1:27...no matter how brief his little life was, Matthew was the child for whom I prayed so long and I will always be grateful for the gift of motherhood God gave to me with him.

Jennifer Ross said...

Kelly,

I am so glad that I blogged before bed tonight. I have heard all of these verses time and time again, and they never get "old." I am going to lay these verses on my heart and go to sleep, while being carried by God's grace..... goodnight:)

Marisa said...

Hello, Miss Kelly. Thank you so much for the kind note over on my blog...such sweet words. It breaks my heart to read of your losses as well. Faith, Grace and Thomas...ah, precious little ones.

2 Corinthians 1:3-4 has become near and dear to me, as well, since we lost our Maggie Girl. Although it is such a sorrowful group to belong to, I know there is comfort to be found amongst parents that are grieving such a profound loss as a child. I want nothing more than to bring glory to our Lord through our loss...through our daughter's life. What a neat organization you have going, Miss Kelly. Well done, girl. Thank you for sharing.

Blessings to you,
Mis

September said...

Kelly,
I am looking forward to re-reading your verse choices again tomorrow morning. I am so thankful to have you as a blogging friend... one who reads, loves, and shares God's word. Even friends face ti face are hard to find like that.
You are being used by Him - Truly.
Love you ~ September