Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Updated: Walking With You ~ Naming our Babies



Updated: I'm sorry the MckLinky was not up earlier. I forgot to add it last night before posting. I also added information about our other children's names and Faith, Grace, and Thomas' middle names below.

Walking With You was created to help support those who have lost a child. Together we share our stories, helpful information, scriptures, encouraging words, prayer requests, and more. Thank you to those of you who have joined us for the past few weeks...for courageously sharing your stories. If you haven't joined us yet, and would like to, you are more than welcome. This week, we are sharing how we chose the names for our babies and any special meaning behind them.

I have previously written about the reason we chose the names for our babies in a couple older posts. I copied and pasted from those posts here. (Hope you don't mind...but it seemed a little easier than re-writing what has already been said.)Truth be told, I am so grateful that Shannon suggested we share about naming our babies this week. These past few weeks, our walk has been an emotional one. Last week felt especially heavy as I walked with each of you, re-visiting days of great sorrow. (Please do not get me wrong...It is a great privilege to walk with all of you, and I'm so grateful that you are sharing your stories...sharing your sweet babies.) While I feel it is important to share our stories, I want to remain focused on the hope we have in the Lord. We do not grieve as those without hope. Our sweet babies are alive in heaven. And, I look forward this week, to sharing something special about them...something joyful. Each of us gave our sweet babies a gift...a gift with meaning, from the heart. The gift of a name. A name we continue to hold in our hearts until we meet again. A name we long to hear...a name we ache for the world to recognize. A name that says this life mattered...this person was here.

It still blesses my soul when I hear someone mention the names of my Faith, Grace, and Thomas. Even so many years later, I long to hear their names spoken. Let's face it, we moms love to talk about our kids. We love to tell funny stories about the things they do. We love to take pride in their accomplishments and seek comfort when we are concerned for them. We love to see them soar...to spread their wings and fly. I love to watch James slide into home plate, hit the ball to the outfield. Love to watch Timothy keep his cool on the pitcher's mound and steal home. I love to watch the natural beauty of his golf swing. Love when they make good choices, learn lessons from not-so-good choices, and laugh their individual laughs. It's no different for my children who are no longer on this earth. I love to hear their names, to talk about them and wonder what their life is like in heaven. I love to see the effect their lives have had on others. It sort of feels like I'm watching them spread their wings to fly when someone finds comfort in our journey. Whether our little ones are with us or not, we are moms just the same. And each of our sweet babies have a name.

For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them. ~ Ephesians 2:8-10



When I was expecting our twin daughters, Faith and Grace, there were many complications. I lay awake in a hospital bed for weeks, praying, waiting, hoping, resisting doubt and fear. When we heard that we were expecting identical twin daughters, almost immediately, Ephesians 2:8 came into my mind. For it is by grace through faith you have been saved... Grace has always been my favorite name, and that verse has always spoken to my heart. It was not something I did to earn salvation, but a precious gift from our Savior. So, it seemed fitting. And, they no longer were known as Baby A and Baby B, but Faith Elizabeth and Grace Katherine. I've been talking a little about names and what it means to have someone know your name. Their names had deep meaning, and more than I even realized.

Webster's definition of grace: "unmerited help given to the people by God....". Unmerited. Undeserved. Given freely, not because of anything we did or could ever do to earn it. Grace that covers us. Grace that is given to us daily in a sufficient portion to meet our needs. Abundant, beautiful grace. Grace that saves...grace that carries...grace that comforts. I learned about His grace through being their mother. And I kept learning long after they left this earth.

At first, I thought that they were just beautiful names from a meaningful verse. When asked by one of our doctors why I chose the names Faith and Grace, I said, "Because it's going to take a lot of both to get through this!" But, even their situation...twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome made sense with the words in the scripture. Because in the condition of twin-to-twin the "lines are crossed", so to speak. One baby, (Faith) gets too much fluid, blood flow, and nourishment, and the other (Grace) doesn't get enough. In essence, Grace literally received her nourishment, her life...through Faith. And they were intertwined. Needing one another for survival.

Interesting...It is by grace through faith that we are saved. What I didn't know is that there would be more. Carrying and saying good-bye to my Faith and Grace was only the beginning of learning about the faith and grace spoken of in these verses. Carrying our Thomas, we learned about true faith. Not the pretty word we Christians throw around...thinking it has something to do with us. Somehow, if we just have enough faith. Oh boy, do we miss the boat on that one. True faith is not some pretty little thing. It is found in the nitty-gritty journey through this life. It is not never feeling doubt or fear, but trusting in God anyway, when you are most afraid and filled with doubt and questions. Trusting when you don't see. Believing without seeing. Believing when you don't get the answer you want or when there seems to be no answer at all. Praising Him in the storm. Trusting Him to carry you. Surrendering to the arms of our sovereign God. Blessing Him when He gives and when He takes away. It's not about how much faith I have or how strong it is. It's about how mighty, able, powerful, all-knowing, merciful and good my God is.

So many times, we want to see the miracles with our eyes. We want proof that He is there. Proof that He hasn't forsaken us. Proof that He lives. Proof that He will carry us. Proof that His grace is sufficient. We want to see. Never have I ached to see Him more than when we heard the words "incompatible with life" in reference to our son Thomas. I have shared about part of that journey before, but today, I want to focus on the precious gift Thomas' life gave to us...the reason he is called Thomas. His life taught us about "believing without seeing."

Now Thomas, called the Twin, one of the twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. The other disciples therefore said to him, "We have seen the Lord." So he said to them, "Unless I see in His hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe." And after eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus came, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, "Peace to you!" Then He said to Thomas, "Reach your finger here, and look at My hands; and reach your hand here, and put it into my side. Do not be unbelieving, but believing."
And Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Lord and my God!"
Jesus said to him, "Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed. ~ John 20:24-29


While awaiting the birth of our sweet Thomas, we didn't see. Daily, it was a walk of faith to put one foot in front of the other. What would be at the end of the journey? Would the Lord work a miracle and save my Thomas? He is able. Would He choose to? Did I believe enough? I believed He could. I believed that with God all things are possible. But would He? Would He meet us there when the time came to say good-bye to our baby? Would His grace be sufficient? Was Thomas being harmed in my womb without enough amniotic fluid? Was he still alive? Would our marriage survive? We couldn't see. How I longed for Him to show Himself to me. I waited and prayed, searching His word daily. Searching for Him.

And, He showed Himself to me. I believed when I couldn't see. And I prayed when I was too weak to believe. And He came. He lives. His grace was sufficient. He showed Himself to me when I held sweet Thomas. He was there in the songs that were lifted from my mouth to the heavens in praise of my King and He carried our sweet baby boy home. He said, "Here I am." And I could almost reach out and touch the holes in His hands. He came. He lives.


If carrying Thomas taught us about faith, then meeting him taught us about grace. The all-sufficiency of His grace meeting us in that place of unknown sorrows. And replacing what Satan meant to break us, to destroy us, to darken our hearts forever...with joy overflowing as we met our son. As he filled my arms, and as the presence of the Lord filled the room. I sang, "O Lord, You're beautiful...Your face is all I seek...For when your eyes are on this child...Your grace abounds to me." And it did. It abounded, surrounded, lifted and carried me.

And none of it...not one ounce of it was about the strength of my faith, or my ability to conjure up or earn one ounce of the unmerited gift of grace poured out over me. It was only the beginning of the outpouring. It has flowed freely into my life since the moment I asked Jesus to come in.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ADDED: I just realized I didn't mention how we chose the names for our two boys that are with us. Timothy James is our firstborn. He is named after his father and grandfather. His name means "to honor God". James Henry is also named after Tim's and my grandfathers. He is our youngest son. His name (although not at all chosen because this. I actually didn't know the meaning until this morning when I looked it up online.) means "to replace". Interesting. To us, it is just a biblical name that also honored our family. I also forgot to mention the middle names of Faith, Grace, and Thomas. Faith Elizabeth (just because I liked how Elizabeth sounds with Faith). Grace Katherine (because my mom's name is Kathy). Thomas Patrick (because my father's name is Patrick).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next week we will be sharing about the early days of grief. We will spend a few weeks talking about different aspects and phases of grief and it's affects on the relationships in our lives. We will choose specific subjects to focus on for that week.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just wanted to thank everyone for their comments on my blogiversary post. It's not too late to enter the giveaway by leaving a comment on that post. I'll be announcing the winner on Friday. Your sweet words blessed and encouraged me. I love all of you so much, and cherish the friendships I have found here in blogland.



18 comments:

Veronica @ Luv My Quiver Full Of Arrows said...

Kelly,

I am moved and humbled by your post. When we lost our baby to a miscarriage back in 02', it was devastating. However, we knew that giving this baby a name was crucial for our healing and for our children. We wanted it to be known that this too was our child. That just because this baby was miscarried, did not mean that he/she was not a child of God. Tim and I knew we would be reunited with our baby some day and by giving our first child together a name, we could also make it more tangible for our 2 children as we explained our loss.

ELIJAH. Our 3rd arrow's name. ELIJAH. My brother, whom had just gotten back from Afganistan, had chosen the name when we asked him to come up with a boys name when we found out I was pregnant. We were so proud of my brother and his brave heart serving our country, that we wanted him to name our child if it was a boy. I miscarried at about 10 weeks, and although we did not know the baby's sex, we knew that this was our baby's name. It means, "The Lord is my God."

We needed to know that the Lord was our God to get through this.

It is because the Lord is our God that we would be reunited with Elijah.

The Lord being our God was what brought us to the place of rejoicing in finding out about being pregnant and would be what helped us through the times of sorrow because we never were able to hold Elijah while on this earth.

Thank you, Kelly, for allowing me to share. Honestly, it is something I don't share often because many have a hard time with my talking about Elijah as if this was one of our children... well, Elijah IS one of our children. One of our beloved arrows.

God bless you, Sister-
Veronica in CA

Kathryn @ Expectant Hearts said...

Kelly, I love the names of your daughters.. I don't see a McLinky? I'll check again in the morning.

http://expectanthearts.blogspot.com/2009/07/walking-with-you-power-in-name.html

Holly said...

Beautiful names with a lot of meaning behind them. I love the verse with Faith and Grace's names.

And I do notice Thomas' toe since you mentioned it. How sweet.

Snarky Belle said...

Dear sweet Kelly, how I've missed reading your words of wisdom during my move. As I read this post, I found myself just nodding my head in agreement...over and over again. You do know you have a gift, right? Your ability to touch hearts and pierce souls with your words is truly amazing to me. Thank you for allowing us to benefit from what God has given you.

When my husband and I found out that our daughter was not going to live (whether stillborn or if she would live a few moments after birth, we had no idea), we hadn't decided on a name. All the names I had imagined for my first child just didn't seem to fit anymore. A few weeks after her diagnosis, we were in a church service. During a prayer, the name Victoria was mentioned. I opened my eyes, and looked over at my husband, he had also opened his eyes and was looking at me. We just stared at each other and shook our heads. We both knew Victoria would be the name of our girl.

Because whether she took a breath in this life, or didn't..whether she left my womb, returning directly to her Father in Heaven, or stayed for one moment on this earth....either way, we knew and know today, she is victorious. That through Christ she would gain victory over her physical body, and live forever with Him. Even though her physical body failed her, our God never will. And our family will remain victorious over death.

Thank you Kelly for the opportunity to share my daughter's name with you. Thank you for sharing the stories of your children as well. I felt peace and love as I read about your precious babies. Such beautiful names. Thank you. Much love and many hugs!

Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

Thank you Veronica for sharing of your sweet Elijah. And...to Natalie for sharing the beautiful story of how Victoria was named. I love that...she was and is victorious! Thank you also for your kind words. I am blessed and humbled by them. I have missed you, as well Natalie.

Penny said...

I stumbled upon your blog. I love the names you had picked out for your children. I looked back at your post on meeting your children. Thomas was beautiful! I can't imagine what you've been through. It's a blessing that you, and others in your situation, are using your tragedies to help others through! God bless you!

Joyeful said...

Oh Kelly,
This post was just beautiful and it ministered to my heart so much.

It is just brimming with hope, with Faith, with Grace, and with the belief of Thomas. Sometimes when I read that story I believe Jesus appeared in that room specifically for Thomas. He reached out to him in his unbelief, touched him with his nail scarred hands, and met him where he was at.

Such precious names with so much meaning! I am looking forward to sharing the story of my Titus' name as well--I'm working on posting it right now.

Sarah said...

Kelly,
I am a friend of Monica's (Writer Chic) and found your site through her blog.

I am sorry for your loss. Your children's names are beautiful and I'm glad to know the story behind them.

I too, lost twin girls. Allison Elizabeth and Emily Ann were born at 21 weeks in in September of 2007. I share their story on my blog (in the August 2006 and September 2006 posts). All in one day, we found out that they were girls and that we would lose them.

Allison and Emily were our top choices for names, Elizabeth is my middle name and Ann is a family name on my side, going back 3 generations.

I find that as time goes by and their names aren't spoken as often, to type them, to say them, brings a lump to my throat. They would have been 2 years old this year.

Thank you for your blog--I will continue to read.

Jennifer Ross said...

I just love the meaning behind your children's names. I do remember reading about their names in an older post. I think it is so neat how they go so good with the bible. Beautiful.

...Faith...Grace...Thomas...

P.S. I messed up on the link the first time. I put my e-mail instead of my blog. They are so close and I just wasn't paying attention. So, if you are able, I didn't know if you could erase #5. If you can't, I guess it will just look like I'm a link hog. LOL

Love,
Jenny

Shannon said...

Not only was it a beautiful story of how you named your children, it is also a beautiful testimony on how we really need to learn these ever needed lessons on faith and grace.

Franchesca said...

Thank you for inviting me to partake in Walking With You. Jenna Belle was actually a clash of my husband's and my ideas of a girl name. He wanted to name our first girl Jenna. His younger cousin's name is Jenna and he said he always liked the name. I liked it alright but I wanted to know what it meant. I found out it means "small bird". Later, after she would be born 1 lb, 1 oz, I would find how fitting that name really was. Her middle name, Belle, was a name I just adored. I had dreamed about her several times during the pregnancy and knew that she would be beautiful.

Emmy said...

Kelly, God speaks through your words. As always.

I don't know what else to say, I'm so overwhelmed.

Unknown said...

Wow, look at all the participation! That's awesome! Have you shared about this on any grieving support groups?

I think it's just wonderful how God gives us purpose-filled names for each of our children. I always say that God knows the names of each of our children, we just have to ask him to tell us what it is! :)

Karen said...

I too love to hear people mention Faith's name. It hasn't been as long for me, but I don't think people know how much I enjoy talking about her. As I am visiting family, no one even brings her up, it is like a forbidden subject.

I have a daughter with the middle name Grace. I just love that name too!

Blessings to You,
Karen

Anonymous said...

Kelly the names you chose have such meaning and are so beautiful!

I'm late to adding my link but I've done it now

Emmy said...

Aye! I hate Outlook! Grrr! For some reason it won't let me email you. Hope you get this....

I just wrote you an email about another Walking topic. What about our reunion day? What will it be like? I wrote a post a few days ago, and it's brought me IMMENSE peace. It's literally colored how I look at the whole horrific experience. Check it out, and maybe, if you think it's a viable topic, throw it out there for the other mommies.

http://mumblingsfromtroyohio.blogspot.com/2009/07/my-very-best-day.html

Blessings, Kel!

~emily

Cara said...

Kelly -

I lost my baby almost three years ago when he was 26 years old. As I sat and read your blog I wept. I suddenely remembered , as though it were yesterday, hearing his heart beat for the first time during my OB visit.

I recently told my pastor's wife that I considered myself a "hostile witness" Hostile in that I don't like what happened (to put it mildly) but a witness all the same because God was with me from the very moment the phone rang and I heard he was gone to this very moment and beyond (after all, this is a journey that has no end here on earth).

The moment I was told Andrew (named for the apostle) was gone the Lord spoke Psalm 46:10 "Be still and know that I am God".

And in that moment I trusted that he knew more about Andrew than I did.

TheRagan3 said...

I stumbled on to your blog last night and was touched in my spirit by your words of encouragement. I am a mommy who lost a son at 1 month old. When I saw this post of yours I knew I wanted to add to it. Unfortunately I was a bit late to add to Mr. Linky but I did it anyhow!
http://raganramblings.blogspot.com/2009/08/naming-our-boys.html
I will be passing on your blog to another mommy friend of mine who lost a daughter!
Thanks for your ministry.
Erinn
www.moses-mackay-ragan.memory-of.com