Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Monday, July 12, 2010

Birthdays, Memories and Missing

Today, it's my birthday...

Today, I welcome (not sure if welcome is the word...maybe "powerless to stop it" - haha) my mid-thirties.

Today, I was awakened with a memory of a birthday twelve years ago.

It was a Sunday morning, and I wore my favorite peach and white gingham maternity dress with the white daisies trimming the flattering empire waist. It was my birthday, and I wanted to look pretty as I readied myself for church. I rubbed my hand protectively over my full-term pregnant belly that was more like the size of my typical seven-month pregnant belly. I touched my tummy again as I sang the worship songs, aware that our time together was coming too quickly to an end.

I was scheduled to be induced on Monday morning (July 13th), and we would finally meet our Thomas face to face. Of course, I felt as if I knew him already. I had carried him within my womb, sung to him, prayed over him, and talked to him for nine sweet, heart-wrenching months, four of which I knew, that short of a miracle, I would be saying good-bye to my sweet boy on the day I met him. How I longed to look into his face, to hold him in my aching arms, arms that had been aching for his sisters since they went home to heaven less than two years before.

But, Sunday was my birthday, so Tim decided to celebrate by taking Timothy and I out to Pizza Hut. (Yep, we're fancy like that!) There were so many emotions going through my mind, weighing on my weary heart, I wasn't sure if I even wanted to go anywhere. I tried to back out, not really feeling like celebrating. Tim, who isn't generally one for going out to eat (at all!), insisted that it was my birthday and we were going out! Looking back, that should have been a clue that something was up, but I was a little preoccupied, so it went unnoticed.

I didn't know what to wear, and became a little whiny, as I can sometimes get when it's hot and I'm pregnant and a thousand things are pulling on my fragile emotions. Tim told me that I should just wear what I had on...that my dress looked pretty. I shrugged, knowing that I was a little over-dressed for Pizza Hut, but too ambivalent to care.

He pulled into my friend Dinah's house, claiming he had to drop something off on our way. I shrugged again and followed him inside. Normally, I loved a visit to Dinah's house. She has the gift of hospitality, and can make anyone feel like a welcome old friend the minute they enter her lovely home. She has made her home a haven and always has something yummy to offer your taste buds, too...which helps, of course.

When we opened the door, several of my close friends were already gathered awaiting our arrival. SURPRISE! They had decided to throw me a surprise party...something I don't think has ever happened in my life before or since that day. It truly touched my heart, although I was suddenly a little embarrassed to be so over-dressed in my church clothes! My precious friends gathered together in one place to spend that day with us....what a sweet gift. Part of the time we talked a little about what was to come, and part of it, we spent laughing and steering clear of what was looming ahead. I can't remember everything...but I do remember the sweetness of that day, and the thoughtfulness of their gift...how precious it was to have them walk with us that day, and show such love on my birthday.

I was induced that Monday, and after a long, unpleasant labor our Thomas Patrick was born the next day...on July 14th.

I suppose birthdays are a good time for memories to wash over our hearts and fill our minds...

The other memories tugging at my heart this morning are those of my mother. For some reason, I miss my mom so desperately on my birthday every year since she passed...even more so than her own birthday. I suppose it's because no one loves you like your mom, or can make your birthday special like your mom. Even when I was a grown-up, mom always made sure I had a birthday cake...because, you know when you're the mom...no one else makes you a birthday cake. Except maybe your own mom! It was always chocolate. She loved to make birthdays and Christmas special...always wanted for the people in her life to know that they were loved and treasured.

I vaguely remember celebrating one of my birthdays at our favorite vacation spot, camping at the Mohican. Maybe it was my twelfth birthday...I'm not sure, but I do remember a really short haircut, some major pre-teen awkwardness, and some bright "jammers". That...and, of course, there was chocolate cake! We are planning a trip there as a family soon, and I can't wait. James has never been canoeing, and Timothy was there only once when he was much younger. Mom always loved it there, and somehow doing things she loved makes me feel closer to her.

Well...that's it. I'm entering my mid-thirties this morning with a mixture of missing those I love who are in heaven and gratefulness for those I love who are in my life on this earth, praising the God of my life whose love knows no bounds and whose grace covers all my longings. For as much as I am "missing" this morning, my heart and my cup still overflow with the blessings of a beautiful family, amazing friends, and precious memories...those that have already been made...and those yet to come. In all of it, my Father is faithful.

Who knows, before the day is done there may even be some chocolate cake...even if I have to make or...ahem...buy it myself!

---------

Please take some time this week to visit our new featured blogger on Walking With You, and show her some love. An encouraging comment means so much to a grieving heart. Thanks so much to those of you who visited last week's featured blogger.

18 comments:

Trisha Larson said...

Happy Birthday to you!!!!

I know how these "days" trigger the emotions.

I hope that you get a huge chocolate cake just for you!!!

Hugs,
Trisha

Karen said...

Happy Birthday Kelly!

I hope you have an amazing day filled with joy and a big chocolate cake! A wonderfully sweet person like you deserves it!Anyway you are still quite young!

Blessings,
Karen

vera said...

Happy birthday, Kelly! Gentle hugs and prayers to you today!!

Caroline said...

Happy Birthday to you Kelly.

I hope you have a wonderful and very blessed day. I know those emotions to well.
I had a birthday at Mohican , I grew up about 20 min from there. So beautiful there.
I hope you have a birthday cake and all that goes with that.

{{HUGS}}
Caroline

Jennifer said...

Happy Birthday Kelly. I sure wished that I lived close enough to bring you a chocolate cake. I am praying for you to have a great day. I know your babies and mom are looking down with love on this special day. Big hugs to you!

Jill said...

Happy birthday!! Thinking of you today. xx

Kim @ Peace of my Heart said...

Wishing you a very happy birthday, Kelly!

My heart has swelled in getting to know you the little I have. You have such a sweet spirit and great love for our Lord. You have blessed me (and no doubt many, many others) with your precious words.

I, too, hope that you have a special day, complete with the most delicious chocolate cake!

Much love,
Kim

Linda said...

Dear Kelly, these were sweet memories you shared with us...and yes... bittersweet too.

I know those kinds of feelings. I Praise God He gets us through these sad feelings and sorrows. And as you said, it sure does help when we count all of our blessings.

One thing about your loss of loved ones is that you are so very tender and loving of other people who are sorrowing. You have such a tender heart!

I am sure God gave you this ministry of loving and caring for others. You know all about His Sufficient Grace...and you share it with others who need it.

Today on your birthday I hope others give to you and make you feel special...because YOU ARE!

Happy Birthday!
Enjoy some chocolate cake!
Love you,
Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

Jenilee said...

Hugs to you as you go through this birthday week. praying!

The Writer Chic said...

Happy Birthday, Kelly. I am praying wonderful things over you today. Love you.

Kristin said...

Happy Birthday Kelly!!! I hope that you have a wonderful day filled with lots of chocolate cake! I completely understand about how birthdays make you wish your Mom were still here. Moms have a way of making those kind of days extra special, but my prayer for you today is that it will be the best birthday ever, filled with sweet memories of those who are no longer here, as well as new memories made with those who are. Love ya!!

Holly said...

Happy Birthday Kelly!! I hope that today has went well for you. There's nothing like your mom making a homemade cake for you! Although, I don't think my mom has done that for years! We like to get a giant cookie from the cookie company. Yum!

Love and hugs!! ♥

Unknown said...

Hey, Fancy Pants Pizza Hut Lady! :) HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Five more minutes and I would have had to say BELATED! But, while you're fancy pants - I'm on the ball! :) hee hee

I'm leaving this comment and then going to read the rest of your post - because otherwise it'll be too late to not say belated. Be back in a bit.

Unknown said...

And it is only 11:56 pm my time!

Sarita Boyette said...

Happy birthday, Kelly! Thank you for all the encouraging commments you have left on my blog. I appreciate it more than you know!
I miss my mother, too.I had loving God fearing parents, and I miss them both, but there is something special about mothers. I will be remembering you especially as you celebrate Thomas's birthday and journey to Heaven on the 14th.
(((Hugs))) and thank you for all you do for us.

Unknown said...

Oh sweet Kelly... I'm sorry you miss your mom so badly on your birthday. I would be the same way. My momma always makes me feel special and I remember so many wonderful things she did for me on my birthday - like putting balloons on and in my car while I was working. What a sweet memory of the birthday the day before little Thomas was born. I'm so glad they had that party for you, especially during that difficult time in your life.

So glad I visited.
Love you.
Lynnette

Lori said...

Happy birthday!!! From someone in the end-30s, mid-30s are GREAT!

I know what you mean about missing your mom on your birthday--you are right...there's no one that loves you like your mom...remembers the exact things and feelings the day you were born...had that relationship that no one else could have with you. It makes me wistful too...

Hope you have a wonderful day and if Pizza Hut is involved again, ENJOY! :)

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday. . . and happy birthday to your boy. . . . gosh, you know that one too? I miscarried the day before my birthday and wished I could have just forgotten all about it. Today it's easy for me to cry with you, have been having rough go of it and yet the pressure is there to "be ok." Someday I guess?

Anyways--hope you had chocolate cake!!