Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Introducing... One Way

Finally...

after months of agonizing...

prayerfully considering...

wanting to choose just the right name for our little band...

it has been settled.

We have a name.

It may or may not be just the right name...

but it is the one we finally decided on.

Drum roll please...

Ladies and Gentleman...Without further adieu, I give you...

One Way



I wanted to share a picture from last night's Christmas Praise Night at Harvest. But, sadly I forgot my camera. I am hoping someone else took pictures because I did see some flashes. If so, I'll share it here. Even better, if someone recorded a portion of our little performance, that would be great. We really need to get a camcorder (or whatever they call those fancy digital thingys they have now!). The above picture is from our performance this summer at the Corn City Festival.

So...about last night. It was amazing. I love listening to Christmas songs, singing Christmas songs, listening to my husband as he sings Christmas songs. It was a beautiful time of worship as the choir sang, soloists sang, children played piano, guitar, and other instruments. It was just good and lovely and all about the celebrating the glorious fact that Jesus came for us.

This morning, I awakened with thoughts about last night, as I often do. I don't like that I'm a replayer of events, but I am. I replay things, and wonder if I should've said this or that. This is something God's working on in me...urging me to give it over to Him, and not worry about my own "performance". This morning, I'm not really wallowing in regret or anything. Mostly, I'm just thinking with a smile how awesome and full of grace God is. And, I'm kind of wishing I would have shared that last night.

We did three songs last night: God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman, O Come All Ye Faithful, and O Holy Night. For God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman, we used the folksy-rock sounding version of the Sarah McLaughlin (and a band whose name I'd rather not mention, because their name sounds less than holy and pure... =), with our own twist of course. And the last two Tim played the electric guitar with an upbeat rock tempo. When Tim changed guitars in between songs, I was supposed to fill the space by talking a little.

Well, I forgot to bring the poem and scripture that I was going to share in that little time-filler. So, I was left instead to try and fill the space, with the stuff rolling around in my scattered brain. Even though I'm quite a talker...I drew a blank. So... I just kind of stood there talking about how I couldn't really think of much to say, so I'd just ramble on about nothing for a minute!

This morning when I woke up, I was thinking about that...thinking about the amazing things God has done in our lives. And, I thought of what I should've said in those couple minutes of rambling. And...since I have a blog, I thought I'd share it here.

What I should've said:

We have been having way too much fun playing together the past several months! It has been such a blessing. And...can I just say this? The four of us standing here together...this is a picture of grace. We've known each other since we were kids...and we were ornery kids. We loved music and have played/sang since we were kids. (Tim and Dave even played together in the "famous", Stage Fright and BAB!). Back then, we played and sang for our own glory...but today we play and sing for His glory. Each one of us has a story of sin and redemption, of brokenness and restoration. Not every part of every story has to be told...and that's how it should be. What matters in this one, is that it ends with redeeming grace. Or maybe that's just the beginning of the story.

We named our little group One Way, because there is only one way toward redemption, only one way for salvation...and that path is through Jesus Christ. One of our favorite verses is John 14:6: Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father, except through me." Jesus made a way for us...and I'm so grateful that He came to save us on that holy night.


Then, we would've closed with O Holy Night...wouldn't that have been just right? Maybe, but it didn't happen that way. Instead, I stood there while crickets chirped as Tim tuned his guitar. That's O.K., though. Because, as I said...it's not about my glory...not about me doing it just right, or saying it just right. It's about His glory...and man is it just a humbling, unspeakable gift to be allowed to be used by the Lord at all. The truth is, if I would've said all of that, I would've probably collapsed into a puddle, because the grace covering us just means more than I can even say. The places we have walked to get to this place of standing beside each other, lifting our voices in worship to our God...thinking of it melts me. Maybe, I didn't need to say it. Maybe, just the picture was enough. And, hopefully...whenever anyone sees that picture...and hears those voices...they just see Him and hear Him. Because, really each of our stories are His story. We are His.

He is the writing our stories, and He isn't finished yet. I can't wait to read the next chapter!




------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Walking With You Christmas giveaway winners will be announced within the next couple days or so. There's still time to enter. Just comment on this post. You will also be able to continue to link posts until Christmas, even after the giveaway is over. I have been so blessed to read the ways you remember your loved ones at Christmas. Thank you to those of you who shared your hearts so beautifully. It is truly a privilege to walk with each of you.

14 comments:

Debbie Petras said...

How wonderful that you all got to perform and sing Christmas songs to our King. I think I need to explore your blog further as I've only recently begun to follow you.
I'm sure you blessed many people last night. To God be the glory.

I'm so glad I read your post this morning because it reminded me of the Walking With You posts. I want to write one today so I hope I am not too late to contribute. Thank you for the opportunity.

Blessings and yes, there's only ONE WAY. What a perfect name for your band; love it.

Debbie

Kami said...

I love the name - I think it's perfect. I, too, love Christmas songs - especially when they're worshipping our Savior.

I wouldn't worry about what was or wasn't said. God put the right words into the ears of those who needed to hear it.

robsfarmgirl said...

I really like the name you all picked for the band! I think it sums It All up.
I missed posting about a loved one that has gone on so I'll do that now.
My Grandma past away about 5 years ago and although I know I am extremely blessed to have known my grandparents and been able to spend so much time with them into my adult life (I still have 2 living married grandparents)they all knew/know my son and for this I am eternally greatful but it doesn't hurt any less when they pass on.
My Mamaw was 85 when she died. She went in for heart surgery and didn't make it. She was so full of life and loved every minute of it. She worked at a corn maze during the fall months. She was always willing to go...no matter where, when or what the reason. If we wanted company to travel along with us, we just called her and she was ready. She traveled several times (a 4-5 hour trip one way) to come and visit me and my family when we lived up north. She was such a dear lady. I remember spending many a night with her growing up. I remember her making the best pies in all the world. When she left the pies went too, because she never used a recipe. I remember making homemade donuts with her on one of my overnight stays. I remember that she always loved mowing her lawn...always...even at 85! I remember every time we would visit she took my son out to her goldfish pond to feed the fish. I remeber her laughing so hard about the day she was cleaning out her little pond and fell in...this was when she was in her 80's. I remember that she loved feeding the birds. I remember our last Christams with her. I remember decorating her home. We did it different than it had ever been decorated. Everyting was purple! I remember the look on her face as she seen it. She just stood there with her hands clasped together and her mouth wide open...so full of joy! She was a vibrant lively lady that loved to laugh. I remember her laughing so hard she could hardly catch her breath. And as one of my favorite Christmas songs goes...these are a few of my favorite things.
I hope to be as full of life as her and leave behind such great memories. I think of her often. I received some of her bird feeders and I remember her by feeding the birds. I remember when I was a little girl, her putting a chair up in front of her kitchen sink so I could stand on it and watch the birds out the window. As I grew I no longer need a chair and we would stand at her window together and watch the birds. Everytime a bird visit my feeders I think of her and what she means to me.
I love the memories and it is sooo good to remember them!

Unknown said...

What a great time! I also replay things over and over in my head - especially when it's something embarrassing :)

Great name for your band and I look forward to hearing more about your performances!

Jennifer Ross said...

What a wonderful name for your group. I pray that you all are able to touch the lives of others who need to know the Lord. That you will be able to reach deep into their hearts and they will feel the Lords love....grace....peace....

Trisha Larson said...

Love the name of the band and that you have the opportunity HERE to say what you wanted to say.

Hugs,
Trisha

Kathryn @ Expectant Hearts said...

I"m glad you could share here also.. and I do that too. Replay things i could've/should've said.. I'm sure glad that we have a God who forgives us and uses us even in our weaknesses!

I like the band name.. but can I make a confession? I thought of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnBZN6VET4g


"One Way.... the sign said One Way.."

Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

Kathryn...you are hysterical! Thanks for sharing that. I am cracking up!!! =)

Unknown said...

I love the name! I loved reading that you love hearing your hubby sing, I love hearing my hubby my preach :)

Caroline said...

I love the name for your band. I think it sums it all up. I love Christmas music also.
Caroline

Holly said...

Glad to hear you all came into an agreement on a name, and I like it! I think the name fits perfectly with the verse you shared.

Oh my gosh, I've so had those moment where I don't know what to say and then later I could think of a hundred things I could've said! Also have had those moments where I wonder, "Did I say the right thing? Could I have said something better?" It's so easy to doubt ourselves.

Meredith said...

.....and you sing too!?! I should have known. :) A wonderful name for a band and a wonderful description of that "grace filled" moment on stage!

I am referring a friend to your site. Hope she will share with you about her daughter and praying she will find some comfort in reading your story! Thank You!!

Anonymous said...

I love it :) One Way seems like the perfect name for your band.

Unknown said...

That's an awesome name! I love it!

I loved what Kathryn thought of. HA! Sesame Street - that's great! :)

Love ya Kelly.
Lynnette