Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A Love Letter From My Father



My friend Dinah left this on my porch on the week of my birthday. The scriptures blew me away. It is a love letter from my Father. The very thing I needed. The thing my heart longs for. I hope you can read it, because it is a love letter from your Father to you, as well. You can click on the photo to enlarge it if it helps to read it.

Before I really knew the One I serve, my heart was desperate to know that I was loved. I was never really secure in that knowledge...never certain that I was loved, worthy, or had value when I was younger. I think people often have preconceived notions about God based on our own experiences in human relationships. When the tough stuff comes our way, we often revert back to those preconceived notions.

There's a great book that talks about this called The Lies Women Believe and the Truth That Sets Them Free. This post would be so much better if I could find the book and insert some quotes from it. But, alas, I am confined to this dungeon/basement of mine, working on digging my way out of the piles of disorganization that I have allowed to manifest here. And, I haven't yet reached the place where that treasure of a book lies in wait. Please take my word for it, though. This book is worth your time.

One of the lies talks about feeling forsaken. I have shared here more than once that is the place I have gone in moments of great sorrow. That is the lie that has been whispered to me in the darkness over the years. "God is able...His love is amazing. But it's not for you. You didn't measure up. He has turned from you...forsaken you. He left you." I won't get into the reasons behind the fact that this particular lie was so effective for me. That is the lie that I battled before kneeling before my Lord to surrender my life to Him. It's the lie that threatened when Faith and Grace left this earth. The lie mocking me on that rainy day when we heard the words that our Thomas was "incompatible with life." It was the same lie as I stood watching my mother suffer greatly and die slowly and painfully. "What if He doesn't come? What if He leaves us here?" I believed His promises, but I have struggled at times with wondering if they were for me.

God's truth has squelched the lies of the enemy each time he has roared his ugly lion roar. And He has given me victory in many ways over that weak place of doubt and fear deep inside my heart. He has brought me such a long way, into a place of confidence in His love and in the person He has created me to be. A place of surrender to His will for my life. A place where I can rest in the promise of His love and the sufficiency of the grace He provides. Recently, I've learned that there are still some soft spots that haven't been healed. Still places of brokenness that He wants to restore. He has more to teach me about the depth of His love...the love I still long to know more of.

So, this love letter...from my Father...touched my heart more than I can say. I hope it touches yours as well...and I hope you are able to read it. You are His child...He loves you beyond reason...He delights over you with singing. You are precious to Him. And so am I.

I pray that out of His glorious riches He may strengthen you with power through His Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge - that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. ~ Ephesians 3:16-19

7 comments:

Holly said...

That letter is so good. I loved it! Thank you so much for sharing. I like how it has the scripture beside each passage. I have heard that that book is good but I have never read it before.

Spud said...

That is really beautiful. What a fantastic birthday gift!

Jennifer Ross said...

I really like the verse you ended your post with. I needed to read that today. I've had a hard time these last two weeks. I like how you wrote, "I've learned that there are still some soft spots that haven't been healed. Still places of brokenness that He wants to restore." I keep praying for the Lord to reveal to me the healing that I need. I wouldn't walk to walk through this life without my heavenly Father.

Love,
Jenny

Anonymous said...

God is so good to remind us of his promises!

Jess said...

I love that, it is so beautiful to read all those truths from God's word at one time! So comforting and encouraging. I'm wondering why I stayed up so late tonight, maybe just to read those words!

Emmy said...

i *LOVE* this! Does someone market these? If not, they should!

Veronica @ Luv My Quiver Full Of Arrows said...

Blessed beyond measure by that letter and by your honest post. You never cease to be used by the Lord, Kelly.

xoxo, Veronica in CA