Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Believing Without Seeing...Because He Lives

A Combined:
and



When He had called the people to Himself, with His disciples also, He said to them, "Whoever desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever desired to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and the gospel's will save it. ~ Mark 8:34-35

What does it mean to deny myself, to pick up my cross, and follow Him? It is a daily choice, a daily laying down of my desires, a daily decreasing of me and an increasing of Him.(Although the longer I walk with Him, the more my desires match His desires for my life. There is much to be gained in all my "giving up". Hence, " whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel's will save it".) It is choosing words and thoughts of life and not harm. It is doing the hard thing, trusting when I don't feel it, believing when I can't see it. It is clinging to Him when when it doesn't make sense when the world would say, "All hope is lost." When Satan whispers in my ear, "Where is your God now?" It is lifting my eyes to Him, no matter what stands before me. It is running to meet the giant, filled with the confidence that the God I serve is able to give victory.

So many times, we want to see the miracles with our eyes. We want proof that He is there. Proof that He hasn't forsaken us. Proof that He lives. Proof that He will carry us. Proof that His grace is sufficient. We want to see. Never have I ached to see Him more than when we heard the words "incompatible with life" in reference to our son Thomas. I have shared about part of that journey before, but today, I want to focus on the precious gift Thomas' life gave to us...the reason he is called Thomas. His life taught us about "believing without seeing."

Now Thomas, called the Twin, one of the twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. The other disciples therefore said to him, "We have seen the Lord." So he said to them, "Unless I see in His hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe." And after eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus came, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, "Peace to you!" Then He said to Thomas, "Reach your finger here, and look at My hands; and reach your hand here, and put it into my side. Do not be unbelieving, but believing."
And Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Lord and my God!"
Jesus said to him, "Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed. ~ John 20:24-29


"Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem, and the Son of Man will be betrayed to the chief priests and to the scribes; and they will condemn Him to death and deliver Him to the Gentiles; and they will mock Him, and scourge Him, and spit on Him, and kill Him. And the third day, He will rise again." ~ Mark 10:33-34

At Christmas, we rejoice because He came. On Easter, we rejoice because He lives.

Because He lives, our Faith and Grace live too. They are complete and perfect as they dance in heaven and giggle over dainty tea parties in their Easter dresses with matching bonnets. They are safe in the arms of Jesus...because He lives.

Because He lives, our Thomas lives too. He runs and plays ball just like he was created to do. And someday, Timothy and James will play ball with their brother in all of heaven's glory. And someday, we will all see with our eyes the Savior we have believed in with our hearts.

Because He lives, there is no more pain or cancer for my sweet mama. She can create beautiful things with her hands and love on her grandbabies. And someday, she will laugh with all of her grandbabies and her children on the porch of her cottage-mansion in heaven.

Because He lives, there will be no more tears. I will hope in Him. No more good-byes. Death has lost it's sting. He has the victory. He lives and He will come again to take us home...and He will reign forevermore.

Sweet Thomas Patrick...



22 comments:

rthling said...

Thank you for sharing this sweet post.

Jennifer Ross said...

I have no words right now....just really sad. Thank you for sharing your treasures.

DeeDee said...

OH Kelly...
Because He Lives...We can face tomorrow.
Thanks for sharing your life and your faith so willingly.
Praying that our Risen Savior will continue to give comfort as only He can!
Love and Blessings to you

Tammy On the Go said...

I am speechless...
how do you speak in the presence of this Grace?

Mozi Esme said...

It's hard to understand it all, but He is in control... Thanks for this sweet post.

La Familia Garcia said...

How great that your son can be such a sweet reminder of what God did for us! We are witnesses of the great things He has done. Thanks for sharing

Laurie Ann said...

Kelly, your faith spurs me on. Thank you so much for explaining the beauty of sufficient grace in this devotion. I loved it!

Julie said...

Thank you for sharing...crying as always.

Linda said...

Sweet Kelly,...Would you be who you are in Christ today if you hadn't had these sorrows?

The sweet love of Christ speaks forth these words from your heart to others who need to hear them.

Your strong and beautiful faith is a blessing to all of us.

Your ministry to others is truly God working through you.

Your story of your three precious little ones, and your mom, who are all waiting for you in Heaven is a story of hope, and faith, and grace and love. As you tell it you are bringing glory to God.

I know it still hurts as your heart aches and longs for them,...but I have also seen your joy and hope in your loving Savior,...and even your blog title tells of The Beauty Of Sufficient Grace!

You are truly a handmaiden of the Lord, who serves her Master well!

You Are Held In His Loving Arms Always!

Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

Lilyofthevalley - Tanya said...

Beautiful testimony, thank you for sharing that today.

Sally-Ann said...

On Sunday my husband and I were asked to speak in church on the Atonement. Your post reminded me of my feelings as I spoke. Thank you for sharing your strength

Laura Hoekstra-Bettig said...

What beautiful truths God has revealed to you in your pain and weakness. That you share them with us, is a beautiful gift from a life surrendered.

Thank you for sharing the tender, sweet pictures of little Thomas. May you continue giving comfort from the comfort you are given. It is an honor to know you.

Thanks for your visit and comments today on Wednesday's Walk. See you next week!

Snarky Belle said...

Beyond beautiful. Thank you.

Patricia said...

What a sweet tribute for your Thomas. I can see how God is working it out for His glory and your growth. Your love for the Lord shines out in your writing. Thank you for sharing.

Tonya said...

Beautifully said! Thank you for sharing this today. Our stories are very similar, and I needed to read your words today. My baby boy was stillborn on Nov. 12, 2008 and my mom died two years ago yesterday from cancer. I know my mom is loving on my Grady, and I'm sure your mom is doing the same with Thomas. He was a beautiful boy! God bless you! Clinging to hope....

Love,
Tonya

Unknown said...

Because He lives...I can face tomorrow...Because He lives...all fear is gone...

Because I know...He holds the future...and life is worth the living just because He lives!

What a gift we have in Jesus. Amen Kelly. What an inspiration you are.
Love,
Lynnette

Tricia said...

Because He lives... He has taken all the hard things you have had to go through and is using them for His glory... thank you so for sharing from your heart with us, thank you for sharing what you have learned in this journey of life...

I am so glad that you have clung to God and that you have been obedient to follow His lead and share His sufficient grace with all of us...

Blessings!

Holly said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful son. I'm sorry for your loss.

vera said...

What am AMAZING post, thank you. Thank you for sharing your journey and your amazing faith, and thank you for sharing PRECIOUS Thomas!!

The Dortenzos said...

Thanks for sharing your life, your pain, your heart, your trust in God!! Your words are truly His words and are used to touch sooo many!!! Thank you!

Linda said...

Kelly, I know I already commented,...but I was at your sitre again and I just have to say how I love the name written in the sand pictures. It just moves my heart so much when I see them. I think Thomas's is just wonderful!
Love you!
Linda

Raye Ann said...

I cannot speak. The words are just not there. I praise God for His Grace to get us threw whatever may come.

Blessings Always