Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Some Coming Events...UPDATED: and a Little Journey to The Shack

It's been an eventful summer for Sufficient Grace Ministries. We started out with intentions to host a couple little fundraisers...maybe an Ice Cream Social (which we had to cancel due to scheduling conflicts) and our second golf outing (which will take place July 11, 2009). In the meantime, God laid it on our hearts to start the Walking With You online support outreach, and more families have come our way as we continue to send out Dreams of You packages weekly. The thing is that God always does exceedingly and abundantly more than we can ask or imagine. You all remember MckMama's leap of faith and very generous gesture, my sweet friendHolly's Chip-In and other supportive efforts, the beautiful story of Rachel's niece Gracie, and my blog-friend Tammy. Others have donated as well and the ripples of blessing just keep going forth. Our friend Dave is now hosting a Ride for Grace in August for all you bikers in the Northwest Ohio area who would like to support Sufficient Grace. We are continually blessed and standing in awe of the beauty of God's people working together with willing hearts to fulfill His purposes.

Please pray for the following Coming Events...

Sufficient Grace Ministries Golf Outing
Saturday July 11, 2009 @ 1:30pm

Country Acres Golf Club, Kalida, Ohio
We still have openings for teams and sponsors if you are interested.
For more information, please visit the Coming Events Page on our website.

July 16, 2009 9:00am
Helping Hands Ministry is meeting at Harvest Fellowship in Hamler, Ohio to stuff and sew Comfort Bears for those who are interested in helping. All are welcome. No sewing experience necessary.

RIDE 4 GRACE
August 9, 2009
1st Annual Motorcycle Benefit for Sufficient Grace Ministries


ALL BIKES ARE WELCOME.

Ride will begin at Harvest Fellowship Church. 288 St. Rt. 109, Hamler, OH. Halfway Point is Perrysburg, OH (37 miles) and ending in Bowling Green, OH (31miles) (68 miles total)

Bikes Out at 2:00 p.m.

Suggested Donation of $10.00 per bike.

Information: Dave Amspoker 419-353-6258
daveamspoker@hotmail.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE to original post:
I just wanted to address a couple things, adding to my original thoughts on The Shack. While I enjoyed the book and felt there were some valuable insights regarding God's goodness and the idea of relationship, I am not saying that everything in the book is 100% biblical. And, I want to be cautious with that. I am not a theologian or a bible scholar, but there were a few things in it that I didn't understand, or wasn't quite sure about. However, there were other parts that were of great value, and spoke powerfully to my heart. And the message of the love Jesus has for us is beautiful. God uses many different avenues to speak to our hearts. But all things should be measured against His Word...the source of all Truth and Wisdom.


Having said all that, there are some things swimming around my mind and tugging on my heart right now. I'm not sure if I can share them because the demands of life are piling up around me, and they must have my attention soon. You've probably heard of the book, The Shack. I have been told by several people that it is an amazing book and I should read it. Actually, for more than a year the book has been brought before me in various ways. And I have resisted...partly because I knew some of the subject matter. I wasn't sure if I could read about some of the tragedy that was addressed in the book. And, partly because sometimes I feel like I spend so much time walking in the valley of the shadow of death...going to the places that can feel heavy...looking at the hurts that we often try so hard to avoid that I didn't know if I really wanted to visit those places in a book.

I picked it up off the shelf in the library this week, and opened it with trepidation. I have spent the last few days reading, and feeling ministered to. I'm not sure of all the theology or lack thereof in the words on the pages of this book. But, I feel as if the writer has taken me to a place where I have been standing on the outskirts, not knowing how to go in. A place that God has been whispering to my heart, telling me that it exists. But, I have not been living there. I don't have a handle on everything that was shared in this little journey to the Shack, or everything God is trying to minister to my weary heart. It will take some time to ponder. But, I do believe that He wants us to know that relationship matters to Him. He desires a relationship with us far more than all the rules and rituals we impose on ourselves. A relationship free from expectations and disappointments. And, He wants our relationships with others to be shrouded in the same beautiful love. Relationships covered in grace and love.

He has a peace for us...a peace that comes from abiding in the moment with Him, not feeling the regret of the past or looking to the future with the weight of worry. There is more to say about His goodness that is evident, even in the face of sorrow, tragedy and loss. So much to say. I'll be sharing more on this later. But, for now...I just want to say how thankful I am for all of you...and your part in my life. You have blessed me on this journey...and I love you all so much.

11 comments:

Lisa said...

You and your wonderful ministry are such a blessing to me. Through your ministry I have been able to come to grips with alot of feelings and emotions about my first son that I never got to deal with before. Thank you so much for all you do! What a blessing you are! With much gratitude and LOVE
Lisa

Ms. Sarah said...

you have our prayers

Tonya said...

My husband's best friend sent me The Shack not long after Grady died. My husband read it, but I haven't been able to yet. Maybe soon... Thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts about the book with us. You've encouraged me to again think about reading it.

You are a blessing to me, and I'm so inspired by your ministry. I know I want to do something with Grady's short life and death. I want to reach out to other hurting families who have experienced infant loss. I'm just not yet sure how and what God has in store, formal/informal, as a nurse or lay person, etc. It's hard to wait and be patient, but that's what I'm doing. Thank you so much for sharing your heart with us. I'm so glad our paths have crossed.

Love and blessings!
Tonya

Megan @ Hold it Up to the Light said...

That book taught me more about relationship than anything has in a really long time. I value my faith in Jesus more than breathing, and this book made every breath sweeter! I recommend it to everyone I know.

Wanna know what I love the most? The author wrote it for his children. To help them to know just how much Jesus loves them and wants to be a part of everything they do. What a gift to give to your children!

Tammy On the Go said...

love to you tonight..

Holly said...

I really enjoyed reading The Shack. I recommended it to quite a few of my friends.

Now, I plan on coming to your bike run! I'm hoping you will be there so I can meet you! I will tell my MIL and FIL and I'm sure they'll do the run with us. They know some bikers too so maybe they can get some more.

Jennifer Ross said...

I have so much love and respect for you. You put so much time into your ministry and other hurting women. I will pray for God to continue blessing you.

I read The Shack about one month after Isaiah went to be with Jesus. It was very good, and helped me to look at God and heaven in a different way. I don't believe that it is completely biblical though.

Kathryn @ Expectant Hearts said...

I echo what Tonya said about wanting to do something for others as a result of her Grady's and my Seth's short lives.. I don't know what that looks like yet either and the waiting IS hard..

Someone gave me The Shack the summer that we had Seth home with us. I picked it up and never got more than halfway through in spite of my best efforts.. When Seth was in the hospital, after he coded, before we KNEW he was dying, I read "The Shack" out loud to him. I know it's not theologically correct in all areas.. It doesn't claim to be the Bible, it claims to be fiction. It ministered to me GREATLY and after the loss of Seth, I found great comfort in some of the pages..

You have such an amazing ministry here. thank you.

Kami said...

I love that you wrote about this because "The Shack" has been sitting on my bookshelf for at least five months now! I bought it awhile back at the recommendation of my sister-in-law, and I have yet to read it. My husband has read it and truly enjoyed it and yet somehow, I can't get myself to open it up.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this book. I may take time in the near future to dive into it and see where it will take me.

You are such a blessing to me and I hope that you will always know that! I am so thankful to have found your blog!

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about you a lot yesterday. I had to keep explaining to people at church that Chris wouldn't be around because he was going to play in the golf tournament. Of course everyone down here thinks your ministry is wonderful.

Have a blessed day.

Joyeful said...

Kelly, you walk in the love and grace of Jesus--it's evident in your words and in your ministry and it's evident in your heart. Thank you for being a blessing to me and to so many others!

Love you!