Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Gift of Right Now

Welcome to this week's Tuesdays Together in the Word and a combined Wednesdays Walk. Both seemed fitting. To join us, please click on the button below:







Therefore, be patient, brethren, until the coming of the Lord. See how the farmer waits for the precious fruit of the earth, waiting patiently for it until it receives the early and latter rain. You also be patient. Establish your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is at hand. ~ James 5:7-8

When my oldest son, Timothy was young, I was quite confident in my own abilities as a mother. My ideas about parenting were very black and white. If you do x,y, and z you will achieve certain results. While far from perfect, I was consistent in discipline, abundant in love and nurturing, and taught him God's word as well as his A,B,C's. I also cared for several other children in my home day care. It was a joyous season of life. I was a young mom, and able to juggle my motherhood duties with ease. I potty-trained several boys at once without flinching, cooked lunch daily for a hungry brood, lassoed the little ones for story-time and naptime, sang to them, taught them to pray, laughed with them, survived the chicken pox plague of 1990-something, and counted it all joy. I thought that if I just did it all right, my child would turn out a certain way. He would be obedient, love the Lord, love America, love his mama, and just be a fine young man. While all of those things may very well come to pass (and in many ways have), I have learned a little since the days of my early motherhood. Some things that have turned my mommy-philosophies upside down and inside out.The path to getting to that point is not going to be as smooth as I once envisioned. It may not look anything like my plan, but it may bring forth fruit that I could never have imagined.

I was one of those moms who swelled with pride, thinking that my child's good behavior was a result of my successful parenting. I would sit at a restaurant with my well-behaved Timothy, looking at other wiggling children...thinking that those parents must not have taught their children to sit still in a restaurant. Tsk...tsk...

Then, it happened. Two things that have turned my mommy-world upside down.

1. My oldest son entered adolescence, and formed his own strong opinions, some of which are not of those that I so carefully taught him. He is trying to find his own way in this world, deciding what he thinks of this or that. I remember being shocked when we entered this season...shocked with the possibility that he would not necessarily choose to follow what we had always taught. (which actually for the most part, he has chosen well, so far. It's just the possibility that vexes me.) Shocked by the sudden lack of control. Shocked that my ideas of parenting a certain way to achieve a certain result were not fool-proof.

2. God gave us James. James has never fit exactly into a rigid mold with all my iron-clad ideas of mothering. He has always marched to the beat of his own drummer, requiring creative, purposeful parenting. James was the little boy wiggling in the restaurant...no matter how many times I would take him out to eat and encourage him in the art of sitting still. (As a matter of fact, an appalled mother sitting near us, once leaned over the booth and said, "Could you please make him stop being so obnoxious?" Granted, her disdain in my opinion was not warranted. James (maybe 2 at the time) was walking back and forth on the booth and smiling when he got to me, putting his arms around me and giving me a bear hug. The woman was in the booth behind us. And she was afraid he might bump her when he reached to hug me. He likes to live life large...and loud. He ran up the church aisle at the bible school program screaming like a wild, crazed native, having somehow escaped my grasp and removed his shirt in one fell swoop. I stood horrified as everyone else laughed. Poison control knew my voice by the time he reached his first birthday. He's had a cheerio up his nose, swallowed a lego, been stuck in a swing, and choked on dryer lint (don't ask). He has always had his quirks. Some of them easy to adjust to, and others that are more challenging. Parenting him has been a stretching experience... incredibly joyful and requiring a great deal of focus and energy.

And...to all of this, I say...what a gift. What a freeing gift these boys have been to my life. Yes, my mothering-ideas have been turned upside-down. I have learned that I truly need to trust the Lord for their lives as well as my own. I am going to mess up and so are they. (By the way, I don't judge other parents anymore...especially when their children are wiggling in the restaurant.) They are individuals, created by God...not little mini-me's meant to fit a mold of my choosing. (By the way...about the mini-me thing. It's really not that appealing. What our children often magnify are the qualities in ourselves we would rather not have revealed let alone magnified!) While it is important and necessary to keep planting seeds of God's word, wisdom, and truth...they may not grow exactly the way I have in mind. And, the growing takes time. There is a shaping and molding in the hands of our loving God. We can plant and water the seeds, but it is God who gives the increase. Like a farmer waiting for his crop to yield it's fruit, we must wait patiently for the seeds to grow.

God is teaching me about grace with my children...and grace for me as their mother. Every time their behavior was less than perfect, I used to wonder what I was doing wrong. (Incidentally, this attitude was never fruitful for any of us.) I would get focused on their performance and mine, forgetting the more important thing. Forgetting the importance of love and relationship. I am still learning. But, His grace is sufficient...for me and for them. Most of the battles are better fought on our knees in prayer.

I leave you with this...a lesson that even as I was teaching, it was I who was being taught. James and I were on a bike ride a couple days ago. He was so caught up in what we were going to do after the bike ride...so anxious about whether we would go swimming or not, that he was missing the joy of the bike ride. The sky was blue with big, fluffy clouds. The birds were singing. There was a slight breeze, and it was the perfect temperature. All around us was beauty, and the world seemed to sing praises to the Creator. But James was missing it. He was grumbling and complaining...missing the opportunity for joy. I could have simply scolded him, given a lecture and let my own joy slip away in the process. (Something I have probably done many times.) Instead, I smiled.

"James, stop your bike and sit under this tree with me, " I said as I pulled off the road and into the grass at the park.

"Why? What are we doing," he half-heartedly grumbled with an anxious sigh.

"Sit down, honey. You are so worried about what is going to happen next, you are missing the gift of what's happening right now."

As the words left my mouth, I knew that they were as much for me as they were for him. God was speaking to my own heart, teaching me the very thing that was being spoken to James with my own lips.

"Look at the sky. See how blue it is. See the different shapes the clouds make. Now, close your eyes. What do you hear?"

At first he said stubbornly frowning, "I hear kids swimming at the pool. And I'm not."

I smiled again, "What else do you hear?"

"The wind moving the trees."

"Birds."

"Children laughing."

"The motor of a car driving."

We opened our eyes, and talked about how we can see the wind blowing the trees but we can't see the wind. Kind of like we can't see God, but we can see the what He does in our lives. We can see the world that He made. Peace settled on James' face and mine.

"God gave us the gift of this beautiful day. Right now, we are on a bike ride. We have the opportunity to enjoy it, or miss out worrying about something else."

"Can we get back to the ride, now?" James asked.

So, off we went...riding our bikes...surrounded by the beauty of the world God made...living in the moment, relishing the gift of right now. I think He was smiling with us, don't you?

15 comments:

Shannon said...

Oftentimes I feel guilty that I haven't been a good spiritual guide for my children. During the first years of their life, I was going through my own thing. Pregnant and married young, divorced only a few years later because of domestic violence, pregnant during the divorce. I went through a sort of late rebellion. I strayed from God and the Church and didn't raise my children in church.

It's only been in the last few years things have really changed. But I worry...my oldest son is going to be 12 this year. He doesn't even appear CLOSE to wanting to be baptized. And while I try to do my best (with God's help, of course), I sometimes find myself in a panic attack wondering if, while I'll be with my now sleeping children in heaven, my current living children will be missing from there. All because I once upon a time neglected my duties as their Mother to be their influence to God.

The Writer Chic said...

I can so relate to the parenting of a free spirit -- Seth is one already. A charmer, too be sure.

This was a really, really good post, Kelly. I loved the way you said what you did. Thank you.

Holly said...

I pray very much that my children grow to love the Lord and while in my own mind I have a vision of what I would like their lives to be I know that they will have to chart their own course. It can be scary but I trust God will guide them.

Tonya said...

I'm sure He was smiling with you...and so am I! Beautiful!

Love,
Tonya

Alleluiabelle said...

Speaking from the lips of someone whose children are already grown up, you surely did the right thing. I would of done the same thing if my children were little now and I know what I know now.

It is a lesson for all of us. I find myself doing just what you did quite often now. I'm always taking my camera along with me. For some reason, the cloud formations are so amazing, the color of the sky like you said, the way the breeze feels as it blows across your face, the smells of nature and so very much more. I am 53 yrs. old and my total awareness of God's beauty is so heightened at this stage in my life that I can't help but notice God's majestic wonders all around us, right down to a simple blade of freshly cut grass.

Oh my dear one, I applaud you for stopping with your son and having him take it all in with you. Yes, God certainly was with you this day just as He always is in every moment.

I absolutely loved this posting. I'm finding that I'm doing this with my little grandchildren...making them more aware of the simple yet majestic things that are all around them every where they look, listen, hear and smell. He is everywhere! He is but a breath away!

Blessings to you sweet one,
Alleluiabelle

Jennifer Ross said...

I got a good laugh reading about James when he was little. Choking on dryer lint? Ok, I won't ask. LOL :) You definately have boys. I feel like I am reading about my own!

I was talking to my mom not long ago about raising the boys. I had said that I do everything I know that is right and proper, and when they are grown, I will go to bed at night knowing that I did my very best. I doubt that they all will walk the "perfect" path, in their teenage years or even later. I just don't want to ever wish that I would have done things differently. That's what I try to focus on daily. What am I teaching them through my own life and living.

Anonymous said...

Emily is my mini-me, and I think Chase is going to be our little wild one. That boy really has a mind of his own.

We're doing VBS this week and all morning he wandered around saying "Sunday School, Sunday School." It was adorable!

Lilyofthevalley - Tanya said...

Beautiful post, thanks for sharing! I was blessed. :)

heidi said...

Oh Kelly, this was just what I needed...yesterday actually.=) Seems like everything went wrong yesterday...my new lipstick ended up in the toilet, the last of the milk was dumped on the floor with a smile by my 1 1/2yr old....Oh how I needed this! Thank you for sharing this wisdom God has taught you!This had me laughing out loud at one point. I'm so thankful for my boys...even on the hard days when it seems my parenting isn't working!=)

Lisa said...

Oh what a fun post! I think the Cheerio up the nose was my favorite part and the "kids swimming when I'm not" comes in at a close second.
Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Thank you for your ability to make me cry and laugh all in the same post! I often find myself missing the moment, daily, with my daughter. I am too concerned about comparing myself and her to other people. Thank you for the reminder to enjoy every minute!

Linda said...

Kelly,...Reading this made me feel like I was on that bike ride with you and your son,...learning to feel the sun on my face and the breeze in my hair. I was there with you sitting on the grass and gazing up at the clouds. I was listening to you as you shared wisdom with your son.

I think we all need to take time outs like that to really enjoy life, and to think about God,... and about all of the blessings He gives us in life.

We DO need to enjoy the moments and not rush on to the next thing without really living in the present.

I made mistakes when raising my kids,...but even when I did things right I still never earned the Mother Of The Year award! (:>)

Kids are going to go their own way sometimes,..that just happens,...(we did it too). But Praise God He's never finished with any of us,...we are all works in progress!

From getting to know you by reading your blogs I always pictured you as a sweet, and serious person, who loves deeply, and needs to minister to people.

A girl who is so tender to God's calling, and someone who worships Him in song, and praise, and prayer.

Someone who wants to do things right,...even if it is playing a good game of golf,..one who likes to be involved with ministry, to help people and to honor God.

I always see a thankful spirit in you,...and such a tenderness. I think of you as being a quiet person?...and yet I bet you have your crazy moments and times when you just let loose and have great fun with your husband and kids???

Am I close? This is the way I view you. And I think you would be a true blue friend! ((smile))

At any rate,...this post was beautiful and so true. Nobody's kids are perfect,...and no kid has a perfect mommy,...or even a perfect grandma! And that's why it is so wonderful to have a merciful God who offers us Grace!

I love you,
Linda

Holly said...

Kelly, it's ok that you haven't posted on Read With Us yet. Take your time. It's not something that has to be done as soon as I post it. You've got the whole week until the next post. :) And actually even after that.

Unknown said...

I think that young moms think they are smarter than us older moms. I used to think I was so together...so smart - after parenting a few years I came to the realization that I'm not that great.

It's so true that each child is unique and even if you teach and train them the same, they turn out different. I've watched 7 children be 2 year olds (well, Harrison is almost 2) and each one is/was different. Some are calm and easy to care for and some are wild and crazy! It's not me that's changed (well actually I have some), it's just that they are all so different.

Kids go through such interesting stages - but we went through them too. I remember Jared telling everybody he wore a size 10 shoe when he wore an 8 1/2. He just wanted to be one of the big boys (men really). Abigail went through a slightly vain phase when she was discovering the joy of makeup and other fashion sense things. (She'll be the first to admit it). It's just life - and you have to teach and train through each thing (letting your children know that you understand that their needs and desires change as life changes).

I'm so glad you stopped just to observe and enjoy life with your son. It's SO important to do that! Sometimes I just go too fast and there is such joy when I just STOP and enjoy what's right in front of me, namely my precious husband and children. You are wise.

Love you.
Lynnette

Unknown said...

BTW, sorry for such a long comment. I didn't realize how long it was until I looked at it after posting. Oh well...