Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Friday, July 31, 2009

Wearing Out

I don't know if I've written here how sad it makes me when things change. Some changes are good. But, I'm not talking about the good kind. I am sad that bodies wear out, that stuff breaks, new gets old, and gold loses it's luster. I may have even written how much I like the stability of things staying the same. I don't know, and quite frankly, I'm too tired and worn out to search my posts and see if I've shared my love for this sleepy little railroad town where I grew up, or the school that I attended as a girl, where I am currently employed. In fact, next year my son will have the same third grade teacher that I had in third grade.

Some of our dearest friends have been our friends since we were twelve. Some...even longer. They know everything about us. Some, I wish knew a little less than they do! When James and I take a bike ride, we take the same route over the same bridge where I rode when I was a little girl, dreaming my summer dreams. (Timothy used to ride with me, too...but you know little boys don't stay little and some get too cool to go on bike rides with their mom...another sad truth. =) As a matter of fact, Timothy just had his first driving experience yesterday, after getting his permit. That deserves it's own post, let me tell you.

I have grown more fond of things staying the same...of memories from a simpler time...especially since my mom went home to heaven. I find myself looking around, soaking it all in, breathing in each moment. Sometimes I'm caught somewhere between the memories flooding my mind and the present moments I want to soak in for future memories.

One of my favorite summer past times is to float on my back in my mom's swimming pool. I would look at the blue sky and the trees blowing in the breeze. It was calming to look at things that have always been there. Peace would settle in my heart at the thought that I was looking at the same blue sky and green trees that have always been there...floating in the same water as when I was a little girl (back when we used to listen for the boys to ride by on their mopeds!). It had some sort of soothing effect on my heart. It was as if for just a moment, the world seemed right again. Not everything had changed. Sometimes, it almost felt like mom was just inside napping and she could walk out the door any minute. And James could say, "Look what I can do, Mama!" as he did a cannonball off the side. I would close my eyes and smile.

Maybe I've said some of this before...I don't know. If so, I'm sure I said it better than I'm saying it now. I'm a little rambly (Monica says it's a word...so I'm using it!) and nostalgic. My boy is driving a car. My mom isn't here to share it with. And, only she would truly share it with me, you know? And, the swimming pool where I have spent many a summer...including the beginning of this summer...has worn out. It is now completely taken down and will not be replaced. I will never float on my back in it's soothing waters again.

And, I feel like another part of me has died. Another chapter has closed. I know that things wear out and change. Bodies wear out. Swimming pools don't last. Nothing on this earth lasts forever.

And...I'm sorry if I sound a little sad...but I guess I am. It's a little sad all the wearing out that goes on this side of heaven. One of my favorite things about heaven (besides spending eternity with my Savior and my loved ones) will be that we never have to say good-bye. Nothing will ever wear out again.

Several weeks ago, our church had a baptism at our friends' house. They have a swimming pool. Our church does full immersion baptism...so we used their pool. Tim and I had the privilege of sharing the worship songs. It was a lovely time of fellowship and fun after the baptisms took place. (Of course, I cried through each one because almost nothing gets my heart like seeing a changed life in Christ! I love me a good baptism, yes ma'am!) We sat around talking and laughing until well after most people had left. Tim and Pastor James exchanging their little one-liners like usual... Pastor James amusing himself at the antics of the Gerken family...All of our little quirks, like what Tim's favorite breakfast food is. (I can almost guarantee you could never guess what it is!) It was great fun...and I wished it could never end.

For just a moment, I was thinking of what the fellowship might be like in heaven. The laughing and celebrating. The enjoying each other. And, the best part...it will never have to end. Of course, I'm sure it will be way better, even. Exceedingly and abundantly better, if I know anything about the amazing God we serve.

You know what else I was thinking? Well...I'll tell you anyway. I was thinking that people don't sit in each other's back yards sipping lemonade and laughing together anymore. No time to just swing on the porch swing and tell tales until the lightning bugs appear. I was watching Steel Magnolias the other day (I know...it was just on the TV, O.K.! And, O.K. the truth is "laughter through tears", as Dolly so eloquently put it, might just be my favorite emotion, too...O.K.?!) and I was noticing how much the women gathered together to talk and hang out...to share life.(Yes...I know it's a movie...but women have gathered together in times past.) I wish we did that more in our society today. The other night, I took a walk and chatted with a friend. It felt so good. We need each other. But women aren't gathering as much, anymore.

I think that's why I love this blog world. We aren't gathering in back yards as much, but we can gather here. And, the gathering can be even bigger! I guess this is like our gathering place where we can sort out our feelings and share our lives...where we can shed tears and give virtual hugs, where we can share victories and sorrows, prayer requests and praises...where we can give and receive love and encouragement. I'm so glad I've come to this gathering of women who are so dear to my heart.

Thank you for letting me into your back yard...for sitting on my back porch...for showing me love...and letting me love you...

Thanks for listening...

14 comments:

Trisha Larson said...

Oh how I thought that when my son died, my friends would run to my side and help me get through it. That's what I saw in movies like Steel Magnolias so that's what I expected. I was shocked when everyone ran FROM me instead of to me.

I've only been blogging for a few weeks but I wish that I would have started sooner. It's been so healing to have people that I've never met support me. There are days when I'm just losing it and I'll get a comment that just speaks to my soul. It gets me through the day. I wish that all of us mommies of angels lived in the same community. But, since we can't have that...I'm grateful to be connected in this way.

Trisha

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Great post...I have missed stopping by your blog.......My blog reading has been so little the last few weeks...but have a few free days to catch up.

Unknown said...

I totally get you...I think it's the Ohio weather that makes everyone so nostalgic. I think it's so cool that your kids are growing up where you did. I loved this post! It makes me feel like we were sitting in your backyard remembering the good old days. PS-Do you have a brother, and is he a math teacher?

Tonya said...

Sweet Kelly,
This was a beautiful post! I'm sorry you're feeling so sad and your heart is weary. You know it's okay to be sad, though, and just as I'm typing this, I thought about the fact that maybe God gives us sadness. Maybe He allows us some sadness to increase our desire and longing for Him, His Kingdom, His blessings and the eternal joy of Heaven. I don't know....just a random thought that popped in my head. Praying for you.
Love,
Tonya

Danielle said...

Oh honey... I'm so sorry. Praying that things start looking a little brighter for you. Change is very hard for me as well, even "good" change. Hope you soon find your comfy spot again.

Linda said...

Kelly, I am with ya girl! I don't do well with changes either. I hear what you're sayin'.

I sure feel like I'm "wearing out" these days. And so does my hubby. We sit around and tell each other how tired we are! Ha!

I wish I could see your hometown. I wish I could sit on your porch with you and have a chat. But since we are blog buddies,...this will have to do. And I am thankful that we can share our hearts on our blogs.

Last night I got together with some girlfriends and we had some "Girl Talk". It was tons of fun, so I wrote a little poem about it this morning. I think I'll post it on my blog today.

Take Care Sweet Friend,
Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

Holly said...

I'm with Trisha, I wish we all lived in the same community. How convinient and wonderful that would be! Ah, wishful thinking...
But I do enjoy being able to connect to people in this way and I'm glad I ventured into blogland.

You know, I would love to just sit in the backyard and drink lemonade and chat with girlfriends. That sounds so nice! Where I live I don't have too many friends that I can do that with. And I'd love to have a little 'date' with my friends like that, even though many don't live close but I know how it would turn out. Most would probably have excuses not to come. :( That's how it is with our annual cookout. We only ask people to come down once a year to see us and still many don't.

This is why I try to make it to things that I am invited to b/c I know it means a lot when people come. Unless I am working/oncall or am sick then I try my hardest to be there.

I'm not sure where I am going with any of this but there it is.

Cathy said...

I feel that way, too, right now. I don't know if it's the school year starting back or what, but I miss when life didn't seem so difficult. I'm glad I have memories and pictures to help. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Sometimes, I feel like I'm the only one who feels that way.

R said...

I love the idea of front porches and lemonade too- I think that's one of the things I love about having a coffee shop, we get to capture a little bit of that.

I worked at the same school I attended as a kid in a small town too! It was so strange becoming the co-worker of my former teachers!!

Change is hard... but it's also hard when you're expecting change that doesn't come. For me it was so strange to plan for so long for the change that comes with parenting- late nights, dirty diapers, no time for us, etc... and then have things stay the same (yet so so different). Anyways I'm becoming rambly now... but I too am looking forward to the day when we don't have to worry about these bodies wearing out or our souls being weary.
Peace & love to you!

Jennifer Ross said...

That post took me back to many old memories of my own past. I agree with you. About everything. It's so refreshing to be with other ladies. I am not able to get enough alone time with other women to share good and bad times with. I am so thankful to have started my own blog, and have other women poured into my life. God has brought all of the right people over to my lit screen, a thing I like to call... my laptop:)

Love,
Jenny xx

Mare said...

Kelly~
Wow, that was abolutely breathtaking. I so enjoyed sitting on your porch, thanks for the morning!

I agree, the blogging community is such a special place. I have met some of the most amazing women here. There love for God, kindness and good will towards others is refreshing.

Blessings to you!
Mare

Alleluiabelle said...

Hi Kelly,

I know where you're coming from. I, too, live in the same small town that I have lived in all of my life. My children went to the same grade school and high school that my husband and I did. Every one in a small town pretty much knows a lot about all who live in it.

I don't have a back porch, but I do have a small patio with a wooden porch swing, the kind that hangs from a wooden beam. My husband and I have had many talks on that swing, both in the early mornings, mid afternoons and early evenings.

There is always hope. That never ages. We have wonderful neighbors that we can get together with to do just what you're saying, have a glass of lemonade and just talk. Life may be chaotic, but in our little towns, we have lots of memories and a slower paced life in a way, don't you think? I wouldn't have it any other way.

What used to be my home growing up is only a half mile away from where I live now and I know how you feel in missing your mom. Both of my parents are gone now, my mother leaving us in December 2005. We had to sell that home, but now as I drive by, it's filled with a new family. I see a giant swing set and children playing there...it's just what my parents would have wanted, though I long to go back trough it again.

I'm with you dear one, I don't particularly like change either, especially the kind of changes you mentioned, but as you said, there will be no good-byes in Heaven and we will all laugh and chat and love and never grow old and weary again.

I love you dear one.

Peace, Hugs, Blessings & Prayers,
Alleluiabelle

Unknown said...

Oh Kelly...

Your post just grabbed a hold of my heart. I feel sad for you - facing these new things - discovering that yet something else is gone. I praise God that you know HIM and that you have the beautiful excitement and hope of eternity in heaven with your precious Lord and those you love. You're right - we'll never have to watch things wear out in heaven and we'll NEVER HAVE TO SAY GOODBYE! That deserves a HALLELUJAH!!!

Go gather a friend and sit on the front porch for a spell - even if it is your computer and a blogging friend on the other end. :) The important thing is that you share and that you laugh a little (or a lot).

Here's a big cyber hug for you. {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{**}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Love,
Lynnette

Kristin said...

Oh Kelly, I just love your heart. I wish I had friends who weren't too busy to come sit and chat with me. That's what I miss so much about my Mom. She never was too busy to sit and drink Diet Pepsi (her favorite drink) with me and just talk for hours. I feel the same way about this blog community too. I don't know what I would do without all of you!

Sometimes I think I forget just how wonderful Heaven will be. How wonderful it will be to have my Mom to just talk to again and catch up with! Thanks for reminding me of that! Truly knowing that fills my heart with such joy!