Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A Little More On Faith

Welcome to this week's Tuesdays Together in the Word. To join us, please click on the button below:



I am so torn this week because of the wealth of wisdom in this week's Tuesdays Together scriptures. But, I wrote last week that I would be talking a little more about faith on this Tuesday's post. So, I will stick with the plan and leave the book of James for another post.

Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
~Hebrews 12:1-2


Can I just say, I am fired up this morning to write about the Hall of Fame of Faith! Just like His word says, I feel encouraged to lay aside every weight and the sin which so easily ensnares us...to run with endurance the race set before us...looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith. Whoo-Hoo! (I can sort of hear one of those sassy Shania Twain songs in the background and part of me wants to say a feisty, "Let's Go Girls"! And, for the record, I don't even listen to country music much!) Reading their stories...being reminded of what our God has done...strengthens us to continue on. We are broken vessels...imperfect...full of flesh, weakness, and flaws. And do you know what? So was everyone mentioned in Hebrews 11. What they did have, though, was faith. They knew they could look to God and place their trust in Him.

Now faith is the substance of things hope for, the evidence of things not seen.
~ Hebrews 11:1


Things not seen. I can't see God, in person with my human eyes. I have walked places where I couldn't see the answers to my questions...where the hope I had was in something that I couldn't see. It is a believing without seeing. What I can see is the evidence of the hope we have in Him. The evidence of things not seen. I can see His hand working in my heart to forgive someone who has wronged me. I can see His hand in the beauty of the world that He has created like a fine masterpiece (displayed magnificently on the golf course, I might add!=)) I can hear evidence of His existence in the sound of a newborn baby's cry. As well as in the songs of praise that arose in my heart and lifted from my lips as I said goodbye to my sweet Thomas. In the daily grace that is poured out on my family, I can feel the evidence of things not seen...the substance of things hoped for. He is. And He does great things in our lives.

I remember night after night as I sought answers and comfort while waiting for our Thomas, I wanted to understand faith. In Hebrews 11, we find that without faith it is impossible to please God. Now, I was a little mixed up, wondering if it was my lack of faith that had placed me in this position. Was it because I didn't have enough faith that we had lost Faith and Grace and were facing the loss of Thomas? And what did faith look like? I wanted to please God. Was I faithless because I was afraid...because I didn't want to walk this path again...because although I knew He was able to save Thomas, I didn't know if He would? I couldn't see the beginning from the end. So, when I read Hebrews 11, I was looking for the answers. Help me understand this faith you require. What does it look like, Lord? Should I know with complete confidence what will come? Or is it a blind trusting?

So, I read of Noah...and how he obeyed "being divinely warned of things not yet seen". Noah built the ark before one drop of rain fell. God told him to do it, and he did...even though he did not yet see what was to come. Abraham obeyed God, going when God said to go. (Heb. 11:8b) "And he went out, not knowing where he was going." He went...not knowing...by faith.

You may think I'm a little crazy, but the fact that they were no different than you and I really gave me comfort. They didn't know the beginning from the end any more than we do. Maybe I thought that they had some insight...some extra confidence in what was to come...something we lack in modern times. They didn't know where they were going or what was coming next any more than we do. They just trusted in their God. And they weren't perfect. Read their stories. Abraham lied. Sarah laughed when told of God's promise that she would bear a son. Noah got drunk. David committed adultery and murder. Moses also killed a man.

And...they didn't even get to see all the promises fulfilled...at least not while they still walked this earth.

These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off were assured of them, embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth. ~ Heb. 11:13

But now they desire a better, that it, a heavenly country. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared a city for them. ~ Heb. 16

Friends, they did not see the entire promise fulfilled this side of heaven. Some answers will never be given until we are in heaven. So we look forward to that promise, resting our faith in that hope. He has prepared a place for us, even as we feel like strangers on this earth.

Reading on in Hebrews 11:23-39, Moses "endured as seeing Him who is invisible", Rahab "did not perish with those who did not believe". And what more shall I say? For the time would fail me to tell of Gideon and Barak and Samson, and Jephthah, also of David and Samuel and the prophets: who through faith subdued kingdoms, worked righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, became valiant in battle, turned to flight the armies of the aliens....

It goes on to talk about those who were tortured and gave their lives in faith..."of whom the world was not worthy". Folks, these people messed up. None of them were strong on their own. None of them were exempt from moments of doubt and weakness. All of them had moments when the darkness seemed so threatening. Read the Psalms and you will see how David wrestled, and yet he is called a man after God's own heart. It isn't about the strength of these individuals that God holds up as our example. It is about the strength of their God. They had victory because of Him. They were made strong through their weakness. They didn't have all the answers. They didn't even always do it right. But, they trusted in their God...who is able. His glory shines through them. They knew where to look. When doubt threatened...when fear overcame...when they couldn't see the answers...they knew where to place their trust. It wasn't about their performance...their ability to do it just right. It was about God's promises...His strength...His ability. They overcame...they are counted worthy...because they called on the Lord in the day of trouble. They relied on Him.

When I think of what they faced and how they endured, I am greatly encouraged. We are surrounded by their witness, strengthened by their testimony. They are cheering us on. And we could insert our own stories...not to lift ourselves up...but to glorify our mighty God.

By faith, Kelly Gerken, carried Thomas within her womb...not knowing whether he would be healed this side of heaven or taken home to be made whole. On her knees, she tearfully cried out for protection from the fiery darts of the enemy in the dark of night. By faith, she clung to the promise that she couldn't see, believing the Lord when He whispered to her heart that the answer was not hers to know until the time came. That whether on this earth or in heaven's glory, her Thomas would not die, but would surely live. When He asked, "Do you believe this?", she said "Yes, Lord. I believe." Out of her weakness, she was made strong. By faith, death lost it's sting as she sang songs of praise to the God who held her as He carried sweet Thomas home.

I could write for days...more of what He has done. I pray that you are encouraged by their testimonies. They were just people walking with the Lord, sometimes stumbling along. But, their God was and is faithful. As Hebrews promises: Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. (Heb 13:8) You serve the same God they do. The same God who carried and strengthened and used the lives of Noah, Moses, Abraham, David...and so many others...offers you the same strength, hope, and promise. We have the same opportunity to shine for Him...to tell the stories of His faithfulness. Our stories are still being written. There are promises still to come.

I would love to hear your own "By faith..." stories if you wish to share them here. Not to exalt us...but to bring glory to our amazing God.

So, what are we waiting for?

Let's Go Girls...

9 comments:

April said...

Kelly - your post and reflection through Hebrews today was beautiful. Naturally, I was complete drawn to your "By Faith". You have a way of connecting me in through your writting. You say you could write all day, I would read all day!

I do not have a "By faith" for you at this moment, because it would take me some thought out time to produce something as beautifully written as yours. But I plan on doingit!

Unknown said...

What an amazing and well-written post. Definitely something I needed to read today.

~Kimberly

vera said...

That was so beautiful, Kelly. I LOVE "let us run with endurance the race that is set before us" - you're right about that scripture making me feel fired up to persevere!

I think my biggest By Faith story was shortly after Sophia was born, when we were facing all the doctors' visits and trying to figure out how to proceed with her treatment, and facing the fact that her condition might kill her... for the first time I completely handed something over to God, and by faith moved forward just loving her day by day and praising God for all of his blessings, including amazing successes with her treatments and a total peace about her life and health. Although I don't know all of the answers, and we still don't know what long-term issues she might face, by faith I take joy in today and eagerly await tomorrow.

I'm still working on my current faith journey :) Thank you again so much for the prayers!

Holly said...

A great post yet again! Thanks for the reminder that Noah, Moses, David, etc were all just like me. Sinful and human saved by the grace of God. If God can use them for greatness, He can do the same for me.

I could write a by faith like yours for Carleigh. We know how that would go. But I could also do a by faith for Jordan and that whole journey too. I had faith that God would use my tragedy for good and He didn't disappoint!!

Linda said...

Kelly this was a fantastic post. Your "By Faith" list inspired me once again to realize that a Christian's life has to always be lived by faith....Day by day as we face the unknown.

The amazing thing is that God even gives us the faith we need to live by faith. And then He also increases our faith as we need it. More faith and more grace, according to the size of the trial in our lives.

He is so wonderful to us! He provides everything we need as we trust in Him.

Yes, like the men of old,... we are all just humans, just sinners saved by grace. While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us!!! So hard to understand how He could love us so much! But He did!!! And He does!!! Hallelujah!

I love you. You have been through so much, and yet you never cease to proclaim His goodness to you. You always give Him the glory for all He has done, and all He has brought you through. You are always finding ways to help others through their trials,...and you long to share His comfort with those who are hurting!

I stand amazed at how He is at work in you, and through you!

Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

DeeDee said...

Beautiful Kelly...
thank you so much for sharing this with us today.
Sweet Blessings to you!

Joyeful said...

Wow. That was so powerful. Every word. Especially when you put your name in that verse--in the Hall of Fame of Faith! That is how God sees us--and the amazing weight of that is sinking in--slowly but surely. Thank you so much for this post, Kelly. You've opened up God's word in such a beautiful way for us!

You are such an encouragement to me!

Tammy On the Go said...

I love talking to you on the phone, it makes my world a little smaller...

Jennifer Ross said...

By faith, Jennifer Ross, has trusted the Lord with her life and the lives of her children. She has knelt before the Lord, and asked for His guidance and protection. She will walk by faith, for that is the only way to truly walk.


Really wonderful post Kelly.