Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Friday, June 5, 2009

Three Months of Saturdays to Stop and Smell the Peonies

For those that asked...(O.K. - just one of you asked!)...the beautiful Amazing Grace Cross stitch in the picture below was made by my amazingly talented and beautiful sweet mama.
When I first went to work full time, I remember being overwhelmed with the change (I haven't really ever recovered, actually!). I took on a "just put your head down and go" type philosophy. Just survive this. Get through it. I was so absorbed with making sure I woke up on time and had us all ready for the day by 8:00a.m. that I forgot about Saturdays. I forgot that Saturday would come and I wouldn't have to get up and run this race. Sweet Saturdays. Oh...how I love thee.

Because I work at a school...summer holds the promise of three months worth of Saturdays. During the school year, I sometimes just "put my head down and go" (between Saturdays and Sundays that is!). And I forget that Summer will come. Summer will come with it's long lazy days of sunny sweet goodness. With lemonade and sweet tea...and lounging by the pool. Summer will come with morning devotions that don't need to be rushed. With golf games in the midst of spectacular landscaping artwork shining glory on God's creation. Laughter and bike rides. Fishing at the reservoir. Ice cream cones and strawberry pie. Popcorn and baseball games. Family time...and being the person I really am when I'm not "putting my head down and going". When I can be in my haven...my home. It's the first week of summer here...and I can feel myself returning. The awareness of the need to care for my home and make it beautiful and welcoming. The desire to do so. All washing over me along with the first rays of this glorious season.

It's time to stop and smell the peonies...

I would have said roses...but peonies are what I'm smelling right now...peonies from my front flower bed..filling my front room with their glorious splendor.



I was going to crop the golf balls out of this picture (Timothy uses the front room as a putting green sometimes!)...but then I thought, nope - that's us! Oh, and it looks like the floral arrangement at the bottom of the stand has tipped over as well. Just keeping it real folks...just keeping it real...



Lately, I'm spending a lot of time doing this...



And preparing shipments filled with a whole lot of these...



And making preparations for this...



So yesterday, when the Kid Fest came to town, we stopped to do a little of this...



And a bit of this...



And...just the right amount of this...



Because sometimes you just have to stop and smell the peonies...

10 comments:

C.C. and Double T said...

Is the beautiful Amazing Grace picture cross stitch? If so, did u do that? Anyway, if it is, and whoever did... WOW!:0)

Tammy On the Go said...

wished we lived closer, I know we would be good friends...

Joshua is very ill today. rough week for him.

Holly said...

Ahhhh I love summer. Today is a nice day outside. The right amount of breeze without making you chilly. Warm sunshine on your face! I love it! Hey, thanks for "keeping it real". ;)

I bet those peonies smell wonderful. Hey that pic of you looks like me only with a desktop. lol

Saved Girl ♥ said...

Beautiful post. I love the color of the walls!! It's beautiful.

Kami said...

I'm feeling that way as well, and it's wonderful! While I don't have a job outside of the home, I am in my first full summer with my step-kids (as my husband and I were just married in December) and I am excited for what's to come! I, too, need to just take time to smell our blooming peonies! :)

Cathy said...

As a teacher, I totally understand what you mean. It's amazing how those first few days after school is out, you begin to remember how to really live again. I have done more in these past 8 days than I could ever have imagined and I'm trying to make every moment count. Enjoy! Thanks for all you do for hurting families.

Jennifer Ross said...

Love the golf ball. That's a great idea! We are enjoying every bit of the warm days that have come are way too:)

Carol said...

You are just so cute sitting there in your big chair with your computer. I know we would get along so great. Mind if I ask your age. I just wonder if you would be my "sister" or I could be your "mother" from afar.

Celia said...

That is so great...3 months worth of Saturdays...I love that! I love summers here as well. I relish and cherish that time to spend with my kids and finding fun things to do....such fun!

Unknown said...

Sounds like you are busy doing all of the right things! God is using you and it's exciting to watch!