Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Faithful in the Little Things

Everybody can be great. Because anybody can serve. You don't have to have a college degree to serve. You don't have to make your subject and verb agree to serve...You only need a heart full of grace, a soul generated by love.
~ Martin Luther King Jr.


This quote was on my desk calendar a couple days ago. It really struck me and I've returned to it several times. There have been moments in my life when I have wondered what it would have been like if I had gone to college, received a teaching degree, or pursued my aspirations to take the stage acting and singing. I had many dreams to use my abilities for "greatness" when I was young. There was even a time before my days of teenage rebellion when I thought of becoming a missionary. Good grades came easy for me. I had a lot of talents and abilities...and what teachers would call "potential".

Instead, I became a mother when I was eighteen years old, and my entire life changed. I was a young wife and mother, and realized that the ideas and plans I had for my life would have to be put away. My little boy needed me. So, I worked as a waitress to make ends meet and Tim worked at a metal spinning shop. We worked opposite shifts so that we wouldn't have to leave Timothy with a babysitter and my mother took care of him during the couple hours our shifts overlapped.

I stayed home with Timothy and ran a home daycare for several years after the waitressing job. When Timothy was preschool age, I took a job at a local daycare and he went to work with me. When he went to kindergarten, I took a job at his elementary school as a teacher's aide, monitoring study hall, recess, and later working as an English as a Second Language Tutor and Safety Patrol monitor. We had James, and I worked just a couple hours a day while James napped, and my mother stayed with him. Then, when mom was too sick to care for James, I stayed home for a couple years with him. I took some distance education classes, earning an associate degree in early childhood education, and started teaching preschool when James was four. When he went to kindergarten, I took a job (my current job) at the elementary school again...this time assisting special needs students.

I'm not a teacher, at least not the kind with a fancy degree. I never attended class on a college campus, never starred in a broadway play, and I'm not a missionary. At least not the kind that travels to exotic, remote places.

What I am is a mother, called to teach her children about Jesus, and love, family, and life. I didn't go to college to learn to do this, but I looked to my own mother, and the mothers that surrounded me, filling me with their wisdom, love, and prayers along the way. While I don't have the paper or the title, I teach children everyday...my own and others...how to read, how to share, how to be kind, how to show love, how to forgive, how to be considerate of others, and respectful. While working in a public school, I can't always tell them about Jesus, but I can show Him to them with every act of love and kindness.

I have taken the stage...not on broadway, but at weddings and funerals, at churches, to sing... and at hospitals, to speak...not for my own greatness, glory, or gain. But for my Savior, my Comforter, my Redeemer...to act with the unspeakably humbling honor of being His hands and feet. With a message of hope for those whose hearts have been shattered, whose lives are torn into pieces, those who have been asked to say good-bye to their precious babies, I have taken the stage. My mission field is in this home, first...and for every grieving heart that crosses my path, second. I haven't walked in the remote villages of Africa, but I have walked in the valley of the shadow of death...more than once. I have walked through the fires of sorrow...through the darkness that didn't seem to have an end...through the relentless storms of pain and doubt. And I never walked alone. My Jesus walked with me through every fire, through the darkness, and through the storms. And He led me to the other side, where beauty and grace awaited us.

Why am I saying all of this? Because Jesus doesn't require greatness in those who serve Him...at least, not greatness by the world's standards. For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according the the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called. But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty. 1 Corinthians 1:26-27 If you really read about some of the people God chose to further His kingdom, you will be amazed. You see, the more imperfect we servants are, the more glory is given to our God. Because, if He could use some of us (like, for instance...me!), He could use anyone! And that just shows His power even more.

So, if you're longing for greatness, I just want to encourage you on this one thing...Serve the One who is truly great. Serve Him in the little things, and the big ones. Serve Him right where you are with what you've been given. In the things that no one sees, like keeping your home, praying for those you love...and those in need, changing the diapers, disciplining your children, loving your husband, organizing, setting aside your own plans, taking out the trash, encouraging a child, bending to tie one more shoe, smiling at a stranger. Be faithful in the little things. And, when you meet Him, He will say..."Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your Lord." (Matthew 25:21) And everything else will seem so small compared to the value of hearing those words.

5 comments:

Mare said...

This is a beautiful post!
AMEN!

Stacy D said...

This was beautiful... thank you so much for sharing such wisdom and encouragement.Thank you for responding to God's call to be His hands and His feet to those who are hurting... you have blessed my life tremendously, Kelly, through our journey with Isaac.

~ Stacy

Jennifer Ross said...

A-men! I couldn't agree more.

Blessings,
Jennifer

La Familia Garcia said...

Thankyou for sharing this testimoney of God's power revealed through our weakness.

amy (metz) walker said...

Great post! Like you, I was always the kid with lots of potential...but never had any idea how to channel or use it! I've spent too much of my life feeling like I'm not enough or not knowing what to do with my gifts...the great thing is that Jesus accepts me as is...thank goodness I'm finally learning it!

Thanks for the reminder!