Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Author and Finisher of our Faith

For more information about Tuesdays Together in The Word or to join us on the journey, please visit DeeDee's blog.

Jesus is our example. We should look to Him as our example in every situation we face. I remember the first time it struck me that He agonized over facing the cross. Before that day, I either didn't give it much thought or I thought, "He's Jesus...and that made it easier for Him to handle anything".

It was the night when I faced my own cross...at least the heaviest cross I had been asked to bear so far. (And, no...I don't mean to compare what I faced to bearing the sins of the world. But, for me it was the most agonizing thing I had faced at that point in my life.) It was our third pregnancy. After losing our twin daughters, we were apprehensive about having another child. And, even more so when our obstetrician noted a problem with the ultrasound and sent us to the high-risk pregnancy doctor. That's where we heard the words "incompatible with life" to describe our son's situation. That's the moment when the darkness smothered me...the moment when I had never felt more forsaken.

I couldn't sleep that night. The tears wouldn't stop. The pain wouldn't subside. There was no where to find relief. Desperate for comfort. Desperate for hope. Just desperate, I searched the scriptures, struggling to read through my tears. "Jesus is my example," I thought. "Show me, Lord. Show me the way to walk this path. I want to please you... I want to trust you...but I don't want to lose another child. My heart is broken..."

The first verses I read were in Hebrews 12:2 ...looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Two truths slammed into my heart. 1. Jesus endured the cross, despising the shame. It wasn't easy for Him. 2. He did it for the joy set before Him. There was a purpose...our salvation and His glory. There would be joy on the other side of the suffering.

Then, I looked to Luke 22:39-44 and focused for the first time on the agony of my Savior. What did He do when He was in agony? He prayed. He asked the Father three times "Father, if it is your will, take this cup away from Me".
Then He said, "nevertheless not my will, but Yours be done." Then, an angel appeared and strenthened Him. And being in agony, He prayed more earnestly. Then His sweat became like great drops of blood falling on the ground. (verse 44)

This was our Savior, our Redeemer, our King...in agony. What did He do? The more agony He felt, the harder He prayed. He poured out His requests to the Father, but inevitably trusted the Father for what was best. Faith. Trust. Abide. Humble to the Point of Laying Down His Very Life. He accomplished the task, and all the while, He kept His eyes on the prize...the "joy that was set before Him".

Whatever you are facing today, whatever sorrow, disappointment, longing, suffering, or pain...He knows the depth of your agony. You can look to the "author and finisher of your faith". He will carry you through the agony to the joy set before you. We do not follow a God who doesn't understand our suffering. He has walked through the valley of the shadow of death. In fact, He conquered the very power of death... for us. And one day...one sweet day...He will wipe away all of our tears. Just take His hand and let Him lead you...

8 comments:

Laurie Ann said...

I am blown away by the depth of the emotions you reached here in this post. After I dried my eyes, I went back and read again. I lost a child to miscarriage and prayed pretty much the same prayer when they were doing the ultrasound to see if she had "completely spontaneously aborted." He was right there with me when the lady left me alone in the lab. He got me through such a heartbreaking time, comforting me and leading me by His example. I knew I didn't have to like what I was going through, and how I prayed that He would use it for good. And He has. I have been able to minister, just as you are doing, to other women who have lost babies to miscarriage. God bless you for bearing your heart through this post. I absolutely love your blog. It's beautiful.

Jenileigh said...

This was an amazing post. Filled with so much truth and while such a painful picture shared it was also so beautiful. How death can share so much life. I'm sorry for your loss and suffering. I'm thankful that our Father has His hands upon you, leading, guiding and directing you. May He continue to grow you and use you. Hugs

Stacy D said...

This was beautiful and I needed to hear it today. Thank you for your faithful heart, Kelli...

~ Stacy

Tricia said...

What a beautiful post... so full of your heart and the power of God to bring us through the hardest things in our lives.

What I found precious is that when this trial found it's way into your life, you already knew where to turn. You did not turn to the things of this world, you turned to our God, to our Savior, and to His Word.

How I desire to teach that to my children. I want them to have faith, to have their own relationship with Jesus, so that when those hard things come into their lives they too will know where to turn...

Thank you for sharing!

Blessings!

Jenileigh said...

I wanted to let you know that I have an award for you at Jenileigh's Journey. Come on over and pick it up when you have the time!

DeeDee said...

Oh, Kelly - Thanks for sharing this part of your life with us today. I too, had two miscarriages - but I know that did not even begin to compare to what you have been through.
I love this statement... "Whatever you are facing today, whatever sorrow, disappointment, longing, suffering, or pain...He knows the depth of your agony. You can look to the "author and finisher of your faith". He will carry you through the agony to the joy set before you. "
That is so true. Thank you again.
Sweet Blessings,
DeeDee

Mozi Esme said...

Very comforting...

JEFFREY said...

Dear friends of Christ, thank you!
Praise Jesus!!! "Surfing" Google looking for the passage: Author and Finisher of our faith to include on my own blogpage I was lead to your heartbreaking, compassionate work of heart. I hope it's okay if I include its URL with something I wrote. Admittedly, the music is what grabbed me; best collection I've ever heard! Thanks again, Jeff Blessed Be The Name Of The Lord!!