Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Saturday

It would be a gross understatement to say that returning to work after being home with my children for a few years was an adjustment. It has been a drastic change, and even more so since I joined the ranks of full time employment. I remember my first week of teaching preschool...the getting up early and getting myself and the kids out the door with everything we needed for the day by 7:45a.m.

"Just put your head down and go...this is life for you now...just do what you have to do," I thought.

So..I did. And, when the first Saturday came, I woke up with the newly familiar weight of the urgency to rush and get ready to go. I sat up in bed, thinking we had to hurry or we would be late. Then slowly the realization dawned on me. "Today, there is no need to rush... no place we have to be. No deadline hanging over our heads," I thought. It was Saturday. I was so busy trying to adapt to this new frantic schedule, I forgot that Saturday would come.

Saturday...what an amazing gift of freedom. A day to refresh, to refuel, to stop and smell the roses. Oh...Saturday, my friend. There was a ray of hope that we would survive this upheaval. Every week, no matter what, Saturday would come.

Now, my "day job" is as an educational paraprofessional assisting special needs students the elementary school setting. (A fancy title for teacher's aide.) I work at my youngest son's elementary school. I like the people I work with. Some of them were my teachers when I was in elementary school! And, they are an inspiring group of wonderful people. I love the students I work with...love to see them learn and grow in knowledge...love to see them overcome obstacles and achieve goals. It's good stuff. I'm comfortable there and confident in my abilities to do the job.

As you've noticed, I also have a husband, two sons, and a ministry. If I made a list of priorities (which I think is important to do), it would look like this:

1. Relationship and walk with the Lord
2. Relationship with my husband
3. Mothering my children
4. Serving - in church, in ministry, and fulfilling work roles.

What I'm not good at is juggling it all and keeping the priorities in order. I want to paint a picture that I'm good at it. But the truth is, I have failed often in the areas that are most important. I missed my morning devotion time twice this week. My home is not organized. I am behind on all my home-making duties. Managing time...not my strength. On the mother front, I am in uncharted waters as the parent of a teenager. As far as the ministry, there is a pile of work growing in front of me...work I love...work I want to spend time on.

Put my head down and go. That has been my motto...the way to survive the demands of the day. And, I wake up often with yesterday's to-do list still waiting for today. By the time I arrive home to my family and the list waiting for me, I have given the majority of my daily dose of patience to other people's children, my time is limited, and my energy reserves depleted.

A recent post by Lynette pretty well summed up my heart's cry in this area of my life. Oh, how I long for simplicity...for order...for a mind that is uncluttered and free to be inspired and creative...a spirit that is refreshed...that I may give and serve others out of abundance. I am laying those desires at the feet of the Lord, and focusing on changing what needs to change...what can be changed. I'm asking Him to equip me with the grace to meet the needs of my family, the demands of work, and the blessing of serving Him in ministry. He is able, when I am not. He is faithful, when I am not. He is strong, when I am weak.

And for now...there's still Saturday...

5 comments:

C.C. and Double T said...

Wow. Thank you for sharing with such transparency. Not being a mother yet, I worry how I will handle many of the things you have spoken about when the time does come. I pray God will lead you (and me) to have the right priorities and to lay aside anything that hinders.

God bless,
C.C.

Unknown said...

Hi Kelly. Yes, as you know I'm right there with you! It's so easy to get behind, get flustered and just forget what's important. Sounds like we're on this path to simplicity together! Yay!

Sounds like your life is full and difficult to manage, but God is faithful to give us the time to do what we need to do and I trust he'll do that for you and for me.

Thanks for sharing. I'm so glad I popped over here today.

Love,
Lynnette

Jennifer Ross said...

Kelly,
I feel like I'm going in circles on a daily basis. Getting up early and to bed way to late. I know that I need to take a look at my priorities and put them into an order of importance. Thank you for the encouragement!

God Bless,
Jennifer

Tricia said...

He definitely is able and faithful!

A Godly lady once counseled me to write out my to do list and pray over it each day, asking God to guide me in what to do and when to do it... we have exactly enough time to do the things He has for us to do... it is the things we give ourselves to do that overwhelm us... I thought that was great advice and it has helped me tremendously...

Blessings!

Mélanie said...

This blog entry looks like some of what I've written in my blog in the past! I'm a teacher too, now on maternity leave for another while longer, trying to make the most of my time before the mad rush begins again! Hoping that going back part-time will allow me to be there for my girls in the mornings and reduce some of the chaos and marking and planning in the evenings (high school). I fully resonated with you when you said your energy was depleted caring for other people's children with not much left by the time you get home at the end of the day (that's when my impatience kicks in unfortunately!). That's what has always bugged me about going back to work... giving others' kids what I want to give more of to my own... my time... my energy... my patience! Here's praying that going back part-time will help me find more balance with less rushing!