Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Friday, June 12, 2009

In the Storm ~ Our Photo Shoot ~ Name Vote

Tonight my sweet friend, Dawn Marshall from Marshall Photography met with my other sweet friend, Toni (and me) to do a photo shoot for our upcoming blog button for the yet to be named support project we are starting on June 15th! It had been a gray drizzly day, raining lightly off and on. When the time came for our little shoot, it started to pour buckets of rain.

Of course it did. At first I thought, what is going on? What a disappointment that the rain would increase in strength as we met to take pictures. I heard thunder rumbling as we huddled under our umbrellas (which incidentally each had their own unique imperfections: mine had pokey things sticking out, Dawn's had a big hole in it, and Toni's was lopsided. And, yes...I'm sure there are metaphors in that observation.), while I apologized profusely. The children of these two sweet mamas huddled together in their vehicles as the ran splattered down the sides and into the waiting mud puddles.

The rain poured. The thunder rumbled. And we walked in our cute shoes through the mud puddles into a dark alley that said Do Not Enter, while we huddled and shivered under our umbrella, gingerly navigating our steps to avoid more serious potholes. And, it struck me. The beauty of it. The realization that our God was still in control even as the rain poured. It was no accident that the skies darkened and the rains came down. The mud puddles, the foreboding alley that Dawn had suggested as our location. No accident. My original idea was two friends walking down a lovely tree and flower-laden path. How inappropriate that would have been. How unlike the message that we really meant to send. How not representative of walking together through the stormy paths...through the dark sorrow of grief. Through the valleys. The point of what God has laid on our hearts is that we are willing to walk with you through those dark painful places...and not so much that we are willing as that our God is willing. He is willing to walk with us...and places that desire in our hearts to do the same.



And that walk, it's no flower-laden path. It is a dark alley with old jagged concrete, filled with mud puddles and Do Not Enter Signs. Dark and foreboding...if we look with our human eyes. That walk is not for the faint of heart. It is the nitty gritty stuff of life and death, loss and hope, pain and healing, sorrow and joy. It is a bitter cup that one day becomes a soothing sweetness to your soul, but for a time breaks you into pieces. And, on that walk, it's unpredictable. The rain pours. The tears flow. The mud rises. That's what we see, at least.



Internally, the Lord is working. In the place we cannot see with our eyes, the heart is being shaped and mended, formed into a more beautiful instrument of love and grace than it was before we took that walk. Inside, our soul is being healed and filled up, even as the rains fall...even as we feel poured out and empty. When all we see are ashes, He sees the beauty that will come from them. When we behold the darkness before us, surrounding us, smothering us...He sees the light that He will shine in those dark places.

There are moments on that walk when we feel we cannot go on. Moments when a friend comes alongside us to point us again to the One who sustains us. A friend to lift us in prayer. A friend to allow us to lean on her as she leans on Him. A friend, who is not afraid to walk through the valley in the rain, with a storm mounting. She is not afraid, because the Lord is her strength and her shield. She is not afraid because she doesn't walk alone.

And because He has walked with her through the valleys and the storms, He has sent her to walk with you. And He will carry you both through the rain, through the storm, through the unknown dark alleys to secure, dry ground.



Whether you are a newly bereaved mother or a seasoned mom who has watched the Lord make beauty from ashes in her life. Whether you need someone to lean on or you are the shoulder that can bear the burden, we hope you will walk with us as we are walking with Him. We hope you will join us with our broken umbrellas, with all our little quirks and imperfections in our various stages on this walk, as His grace washes over us in the pouring rain.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, please help me choose a name for this time of Walking Together that we will gather to do the 15th of each month. Here are some choices:

Walking With You
Walking Together
Walking Together With Hope
Walking With God's Grace
Grace for the Journey
Grace in the Storm

Please vote for the best picture and the best name for our blog button. And the sweet and very talented Abigail is going to make us a blog button! Even if you are not taking part in our little walk, your input is welcome. As I was sharing with my blogging chum, Lynette, I am a horrible decider! Perhaps one could say decision-maker, if one was so inclined. But, Lynette and I decided today that decider is a word, at least in our book...so just go with it, O.K.?!

26 comments:

April said...

Oh - the photos are great! It's so hard to say which my favorite. I bet it was hard to narrow the choices to 3! I really like the "One Way Do Not Enter" - I think that says so much! But I also appreciate the simplicity of the grasping hands. That sends a very distinct message just in the photograph.

I think I like "Walking Together with Hope." That or "Walking Together in God's Grace." I see how the photo of you and your walking actually walking might represent the "walking" part of your project too... tough choices, but that's my two cents :)
Good luck!!

April said...

What I meant to say ( I need to proof read!!) -

I see how the photo of you and your friend actually walking might represent the "walking"...

pinksarahh said...

Grace for the Journey. ILOVE THAT! And I also love al 3 pics, but the 2nd one is my favorite! You guys do an awesome ministry. Thank you!

Unknown said...

I really like the picture with the "Do Not Enter" sign, because no one wants to enter grief, or losing a child/loved one. I like 'Walking Together" or Walking in this Storm with Hope, something to that effect. Maybe, Journeying Through this Storm with Hope...if that first word is a word, who knows :) Lots of great ideas you have to decide, which you love!

C.C. and Double T said...

LOVE this post! You are SO on target!!!

I like all the pictures, but I think the last one is the best. The first one walking is really good, too! And, I vote for "Grace for the Journey" as the title.

September said...

Kelly,,

I love all three photos! They turned out great. I think that photo # 3 with the hands is inspiring. And I love "Walking Together in Hope."
I was reflecting back on the "lonely" days of my grief, and the years when there really wasn't blogging, support, or even acknowledgement beyond immediate comfort from friends and family,,, and if I had known there was someone to walk with me and give me hope, it would have been so helpful.
I think that HOPE is what woman really need thru dark, difficult days.
The Lord is using your sorrows for healing in others lives, and I am so thankful that you are my friend.
Keep on Keeping on!

Abigail Kraft said...

Hi Kelly!
I'm so excited to watch this project unfold. I know that hurting people are always looking for a source of support and hope, and this could encourage and uphold so many people by the grace of our Savior. :) Kudos on a great idea!

I absolutely love the first photo! The sign is an awesome touch. I also love how you can see the rain.

As far as the name goes...I really like "Walking with God's Grace", because it shows that we wouldn't even be able to begin walking through a trial without the grace of God. My second favorite is "Walking Together". There's a feeling of unity, not just between two people, but an uncharted number in Christ.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting started on the button! :) I'm sure whatever you choose will be absolutely beautiful.

In His arms,
--Abigail

Holly said...

I really like the first photo. It has really great symbolism IMO. We walk down a road no one wants to enter and it sure feels like it's storming. I like the Walking Together With Hope or Grace in the Storm.

I can't wait!

vera said...

Wow those are some powerful pictures! They're all great, but my favorite for sure would be the first one. And Walking Together With Hope is my favorite name, I think.

Caroline said...

I would have to say the first picture I like & walking together with hope or walking together in God's Grace. They all are awesome pictures.

Kami said...

The photos are amazing! I really love the first one, as I know I truly felt like everywhere I turned was a "do not enter" after my miscarriage. I wouldn't have been able to go through it without my God, my husband and my friends. I love the title "Grace For The Journey", entirely because it is just that - a journey toward the Light at the end of a long tunnel that cannot be walked through without God's grace.

I love that you're doing this - you have such a beautiful heart and a wonderful ministry. As someone who has four great step-children, but still dreams and desires to have a baby of her own, as a woman who has miscarried that miracle and gone through (and am going through) the journey of a shattered dream ... I appreciate your ministry more than you know!

The Dortenzos said...

What a beautiful story!! I love the picture with the "Do not enter" sign! I love that because we don't want to enter pain or loss, but some of us do! At times throughout the journey, we feel like we have hit a "dead end" or a "point of no return" hence the do not enter sign, but God helps us to keep walking through the pain and that picture gave me chills as it just seemed to say so much about the journey of grief! With the names--the walking in hope or grace--something with the word, walking, in it would tie it all together!!! All wonderful, blessing to you!

Jennifer Ross said...

All three pictures were so good. They all speak so many words. My vote would be the first picture, "One Way Do Not Enter". I believe that there is only one "safe" way to get through this loss, and that would be one way straight to the Father.

I like how you wrote, "And because He has walked with her through the valleys and the storms, He has sent her to walk with you." I feel that the picture really represents the valley, sometimes being cold, dark and lonely. To have a friend with you.... gives strength.

I think the perfect name for the picture would be, "Walking With God's Grace." Without the grace of God, we wouldn't have taken one step in healing. There would be no beauty from ashes.

Love,
Jenny

Jennifer said...

ALL of the photos are fantastic...and, yes, so appropriate! I really think my favorite is the first one - I really like how it captures the sentiment of the rain/the storm...but you are still up and and walking - together.

For a title I really like Grace for the Storm or Walking Together! Surely you can see God's hand in this already...how cool!

brandi said...

Walking With God's Grace

Lisa said...

I like Grace For the Journey or Grace in the Storm, those both caught my attention right away!!

I love the pictures and cant wait to see which name is chosen :)

Joyeful said...

This is truly a beautiful post and an absolutely wonderful idea. My heart is just so excited about what you are doing!! It has stirred that desire in my spirit to "walk together in grace" with other women!!!

The photos are incredible!! I really like the first and second one! And as for the name, well I kinda like "Walking Together In Grace".

Love you lots and can't wait to see the button and the site!!

Joye

Ms. Sarah said...

my choice is photo 2 and the last title grace in the storm

Carol said...

I love, "Walking With You". I love the second photo of the 2 of you squatting down. You in sorrow or reflection and she with steely look...strong.....supporter, but the first one probably goes with the Walking theme best. Love, Carol

Tammy On the Go said...

I love the first one..the "Enter In With Me" photo...

Snarky Belle said...

Wow, tough decision because each one is so powerful and beautiful.

I think the first picture and "Walking with God's Grace".
But, I have to add that second pictures is amazing as well.

Snarky Belle said...

Oh...it's so hard to choose...I also really like "Grace for the Journey". ;)

Dana said...

I vote for simply "Walking Together". It sounded so wonderful in your post where you were asking us to vote on a name. It sounds as if that's how you are already describing it so it's how you already feel about it :)

Tammy On the Go said...

I wrote you a poem...
http://myhandsareyours.blogspot.com/2009/06/enter-in-with-me.html

Unknown said...

All the pictures are just beautiful. I especially liked the first one. I like all of the names. Really any of them would be perfect.

I know this will be a tremendous blessing to those grieving and those who have grieved and want to walk along side those who need encouragement.

I'll be praying for this.
Love,
Lynnette

Marlene said...

The first picture struck me right away. You are all awesome people. It has need years since my loss. I wish there had been support like this back then. The name that is harder. "Walking Together" is short and simple although grief in not. What ever you decide it sure will be a healing walk.