Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Saturday, April 11, 2009

With Hope

Brothers, we do not want you to be ignorant about those who fall asleep, or to grieve like the rest of men, who have no hope. I Thessalonians 4:13




My dear friend, Lynette Kraft has introduced a wonderful resource for those who face loss and the sorrow of grief. I wanted to share a little about her newly updated website and her ministry which has so spoken to my heart and inspired my spirit! Many of you are familiar with her story. If you are not, please click here. She has also written a book about her family's journey through the loss of three of her children, the grief that followed, and the hope we have in our loving Father.

She tells her story better than I ever could. So I won't elaborate too much. But there are a couple of things I would like to share from her book, In Faithfulness He Afflicted Me...some things that deeply resonated with me as a mother who has said goodbye to three of my own babies.

For many years, I have claimed to dislike the saying, "God doesn't give us more than we can handle." I even have a plaque in my kitchen referring to this, a gift from Rose, a sweet church friend. I have written about it in articles, spoken about it at churches, women's groups, in presentations, and in conversations with friends. The reason I don't like that saying is because it isn't true. There are a lot of things I cannot handle. Who could handle the loss of a child? It's not about my ability to cope with the trial before me, but about the ability of my God to carry me through. My God is able. I have often said that I prefer His words: I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength(Phil. 4:13)... and: My grace is sufficient for you; for My strength is made perfect in weakness (2 Corinth. 12:9).



You can imagine my surprise and excitement when I read Lynette's words in her amazing book. She talks about the real verse people are referring to when they say that phrase (1 Cor. 10:13) and then writes:
God didn't promise that he would never give us a trial that we couldn't handle. In fact, if you look at 2 Cor. 1:8-10, you'll see quite the opposite. It says that they were..."pressed out of measure, beyond strength, despairing even of life." That doesn't sound like they were handling it. It goes on to say..."that we should not trust in ourselves, but in God which raiseth the dead, in whom we trust that he will yet deliver us." It's not a matter of handling it ourselves; it's only through Christ that we can handle anything! ( p. 104 In Faithfulness He Afflicted Me)

So true! After walking through the trials she has faced, Lynette "gets it" like few people do. She exemplifies one who has clung to God in the midst of trials. She did not grieve as those without hope. She placed her hope in God, who is able to make beauty from ashes...who provides the sufficient grace to walk through our trials...to turn our mourning into dancing. She doesn't just offer comfort in the sorrow, but hope that you can grow through the affliction. That God has good plans for you. The joy you can experience in the dancing that follows the mourning is sweeter than our human minds can imagine. He has more for us than to merely survive our struggles. He wants us to fully live and experience the joy and freedom He has for us. There are gifts, even in the storm. Life-changing beautiful gifts.

The entire book was a blessing. Lynette glorifies God with her life, even in the depths of her grief and she points others to Him, as well. I wanted to share just one other part that touched my soul deeply and broke my heart. One of the hardest parts of our losses for me was watching Timothy grieve for his sisters and brother. I wondered if he would be forever tainted with the loss, instead of knowing the joy that can come from expecting a child. Pregnancy did not promise the hope of new life for us. It was tainted. Timothy would pray for each baby after Faith and Grace to stay with us, and not to die. I remember the sorrow in his eyes when we told him that Thomas was sick and may not live...the prayers he prayed for many years after that...for a brother to stay with us. He would draw me pictures of the babies when he saw me crying. He was forever affected by such great losses at such a young age. And even a couple years ago, he was broken again with the loss of my mother...his beloved ma-ma who always showered him with a love that held no conditions.

When Lynette spoke of telling her children about sweet Anna's passing, that was my breaking point. I wept from the depths of my heart at the picture of Jared, especially, because I have seen the sorrow in my own son's eyes. Although, I know that God will use these experiences to draw our children closer to Him and to give them a softness and compassion that they wouldn't know otherwise, no mother wants to see her children know the reality of grief and death at such a tender age. We want to protect them from this harsh reality. It is heart-breaking.

I am so grateful for Lynette, and her willingness to share her journey and her beautiful heart. God's grace and redeeming power shines through the joy in her eyes. Today, she dances on weathered ground. And, she dances because her hope is in the Lord. She dances because He is faithful in our afflictions. He is faithful to carry and comfort, to heal and restore. He is our hope and our joy. Her story encourages those who feel broken, lost in grief, forsaken to know that He restored this mother who walked through the fires of death and loss more than once. The same God can carry you and restore your brokenness, as well.

Our soul waits for the Lord;
He is our help and our shield.
For our heart shall rejoice in Him.
Because we have trusted in His holy name.
Let Your mercy, O Lord, be upon us,
Just as we hope in You. ~ Psalm 33:20-22

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautifully written!

I am glad I came across your blog, it is very inspiring.

Linda said...

Kelly, This is so beautiful the way that you wrote about Lynnette's book and all that she has learned because of what she has been through. Of course your heart is there too and no one knows bettter than those that have felt this kind of love and faithfulness from God through their sorrows. But it is available to all who will cling to Him and put their sorrows in His hands.
This is why I hope that this book will reach the hands of those that need it. I pray that all of the time.
My life is different because of Lynnette's story. Of course as her mom I could not remain untouched.
As you said, Jared being the oldest, (being able to remember all three episodes of loss in their lives), has been greatly affected by all of the sorrows. BUT, he also has a testimony of faith all his own,..and it is beautiful.
God is at work in each of our lives and He has a purpose for each one of us. You have a beautiful testimony too. And you are touching all of those who cross your path. Your blog is a great blessing to me and I am sure to all who find it. And your ministry to those who are hurting, is so wonderful.
I thank God for the way our paths have crossed. I never dreamed I'd meet so many wonderful Christian ladies in the blogging world!

May God continue to bless you and to use you,
Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

Jennifer Ross said...

My kids are always asking me if this baby is still alive. It breaks my heart over and over again.

I really like that plaque that you have. It has a lot of truth to it.

Have a wonderful Easter!

Unknown said...

Kelly, this blog post made me cry...for many reasons. One reason is because I am so glad to have met you and to know that my life, and my book have touched your life.

Another reason is because we are kindred and we've both suffered loss and we've both claimed victory through Jesus! I rejoice on behalf of both of us and our families.

I am SO glad that we've met. You are such a sweet lady with such a big heart. I hope that we can continue to touch people's lives with our stories and that we will perhaps even be able to meet in real life someday. I just think that would be so much fun!

Thank you so much for supporting me in my desire to reach out. Thank you for sharing here on your blog about my website, my book and my story. You are just too precious Kelly.

Have a blessed Easter as you celebrate the very thing that gives us hope for tomorrow - Jesus is risen! Hallelujah!
Love,
Lynnette

Veronica @ Luv My Quiver Full Of Arrows said...

AMEN, SISTER! I also have never liked that phrase...would you mind if I borrowed that part of your post, crediting you, for a post on my blog? I think it would really speak to so many!!

You bless me!!!
Veronica in CA
p.s. Let me know if it would be ok to use at:
n.veronicawhite (at) yahoo (dot) com

Holly said...

Thank you for making this post. I have actually visited your blog before but this visit it actually dawned on me who you were. When I was pregnant with my Carleigh we were looking for baby books since we knew she wasn't going to live and normal baby books just don't work. My mom had mentioned yours and I actually was looking into getting it until some friends of mine got me another one. I live in Ohio too and you are not too far from most of my family around Findlay. My husband and I are originally from that area but have moved to the southwestern portion of the state.

Anyway, thanks for this post. I think I would really like to read Lynette's book.