Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Easter Bonnets and Light Sabers

To share your sweet memories, please visit Lynette by clicking below:



Oh, the Easter Bonnets. The spring dresses in all shades of exquisite pastel glory. The ribbons...the lace...the pink. The accessories. The little matching purses and hairbows. The delicate patent leather shoes over ruffled tights. They are everywhere in all their Eastery-goodness. The baby girls...sigh.

Today, I put new batteries in the light saber. All boy...all the time. No bonnets and lace here. Which probably explains my desperate need to hoard all things pink. Pink golf clubs, pink skorts, pink golf balls, pink carpet - (O.K., it's "burgundy" and it was the nineties), pink nail polish, pink lip gloss, pink flip flops. But no pink Easter Bonnets.

Light Sabers and baseballs, grass stains on the jeans, and band-aids on the wounds. Golf clubs and football cards. But no Easter bonnets.

We will color the eggs and decorate them with Easter symbols. There will be more than one Easter egg hunt. We will get out the Redemption Eggs and tell the story of Jesus' death and ressurrection with tangible symbols that make it easy for children (and adults) to grasp the meaning. We will watch a cartoon video telling the Easter story on Good Friday, and will read the bible. And, I may watch The Passion, again. To remember...to reflect...on the gift of His sacrifice...the gift I could never grasp with my human mind. The gift that sets me free, redeems my sin, makes me a new creation, promises eternal life.

On Easter morning...

For James, a suit and tie because he loves a good reason to put on his suit. Such a romantic little lover boy that one. And, for Timothy...whatever he grabs...my guess, jeans and a polo. He's fifteen. We pick our battles. Some years I would buy a new Easter dress because you really can't beat a new Easter dress. But this year, in the spirit of simplification and living wisely, I'll pull out my favorite spring floral dress. And, yes...it has pink in it! Tim will probably wear a polo or button up shirt.

And, after eating candy for breakfast,(washed down with one of the overabundant hard boiled eggs taking over the refrigerator) we will leave the sweet-smelling ham covered in my brown sugar- honey mustard marinade, the cheesy potatoes, the corn casserole waiting on warm in the oven and head to church. As we tear ourselves away from the enticing smells of the Easter feast, we'll try not to trip over a putter, a light saber or a lego creation. (Or our dog Rex who always seems to stand up at the wrong time...but that's another story.)

The church will be filled with baby girls dressed in Easter dresses and bonnets (or adorable stylish little matching hats and purses). I will smile and straighten James' little clip-on tie and smooth his hair, with a contented sigh. My gaze will wander to Tim's hands folded in prayer, and Timothy's head of thick, curly hair. A head that sits taller than me. With a satisfied nod, I will allow the blessings to wash over me. And, I will thank God for the legos and the light sabers.

And we will worship together because He is Risen. Our Jesus came. He died on a cross, in our place, for the forgiveness of our sins. He rose on the third day. And He lives. He reigns.

We will rejoice...He is Risen indeed!

Bless you and yours this Easter Season...May we all make time to remember the gift of our Savior's sacrifice with a grateful heart.

19 comments:

Lilyofthevalley - Tanya said...

May the Lord bless you this Easter as well. Thank you for sharing your memories.

Lolli (aka Lisa) said...

Amen, sister! He IS RISEN! hallelujah! We are rich indeed because of a risen Savior who loves us desperately and passionately, and is jealous for our love! Blessings to you!

Please visit my site when you get a few minutes!

Lolli

Unknown said...

That was a fun read. I'm with you on the pink thing! Gotta love it!:)

Aren't boys wonderful! I don't have 'little' girls anymore. I miss those sweet little dresses...but my little boys are just great and I wouldn't trade them for the world! We are a casual bunch over here. Our church isn't the formal type - we meet in a room at the County Extension Office and we don't have formalites - but we have love...we have friendship... we have beautiful worship...we have music...we have prayer... and most importantly we have JESUS!

Have a wonderful celebration of our Savior's resurrection!
Rejoicing with you Kelly!
Love,
Lynnette

Tammy On the Go said...

this season is more and more precious to me every year

Chris said...

Very well stated. But having a little girl does not guarantee pink lace bonnets. We have a little girl that is more into the light sabers and Legos than anything else.

It is a time of true celebration and self-reflection. I know I could use the journey to improve the person I am. Sometimes, having the relationship with Christ is like having a small glass of water. After you finish, you find yourself wanting more to gulp down.

Oh, and on a side-note, I know where I'll be heading for dinner. You made me hungry.

Sally-Ann said...

Wonderful! Hope that you have a wonderful Easter. It is a time to sit and reflect and to remember the Saviour's sacrifice for us

Kristin said...

I enjoyed that, Kelly! I hope you have a wonderful Easter. This is the first Easter I will take my girls to church.......I've come a LONG way and it's so exciting!!

Lora said...

What a beautiful post!

Patricia said...

Thank you for sharing. You have a gift for writing so that I can see it all before me.

Veronica @ Luv My Quiver Full Of Arrows said...

I could read anything you write ALL DAY LONG! What a gift you have for sharing your heart.

Thank you for the reminder to be grateful for the light sabers, indeed...as I watch my boys playing ball in the house, I will praise God for them.

xoxo, Veronica in CA
p.s. Happy Easter to you all!!! I can smell the ham all the way over here!

Terri said...

What a beautiful post. I enjoyed reading it so much. May you have a blessed Easter!

Laura Hoekstra-Bettig said...

Just beautiful! I always enjoy visiting "with you" on Wednesday's Walk. Have a blessed Easter with your BOYS! ;-)

Anonymous said...

AMEN!! What a beautiful post. just amazing

I have all girls and I notice I've started doing the opposite. I love collecting little blue things lol

Jennifer Ross said...

Great post!!! I love easter time, and thanking God for the greatest gift of all, His son Jesus.

Have a wonderful Easter!

September said...

Kelly -
I REALLY enjoyed reading your poet today - I am reading all my Wednesday Posts a day late...life management - I am calling it!
Got thinking,, maybe you should buy a pink life saber!!??
Enjoy your Easter -He IS Risen! Your day sounds so similar to ours.. relish these moments... so fast they go.

DeeDee said...

love it... bonnets and light sabers :)
Have a wonderful Easter weekend celebrating our Resurrected LORD!

Aspiemom said...

This post brings back a lot of memories of when my son was smaller.

And myself getting to wear new pink dresses at Easter. I remember one in particular that my mother made that I just LOVED and felt like a princess!

Have a wonderful Easter!

Linda said...

...and I see Faith and Grace in their spring dresses, more beautiful than I can even imagine and between them Thomas so prim and proper with his sisters hands placed nicely in the crease of his elbow.

Kelly - I loved the post!!

Meredith said...

I'm right there with you....she says as baby boy rips up a paper towel and slings blankie across the room after having given it a hug......
me thinks somebody is tired.
Thank you for the sweet reflections and the beautfiul read. Good thing I love legos!