Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Rest for the Weary




I wish I could write some wonderful, deep post tonight. There are a million amazing nuggets of beautiful truth in this week's scripture readings. But, it's late and I'm tired. Tired and weary. I am feeling under the weather again/still. It's after 11:30p.m. and I've just returned from visiting my grandfather at the hospital. He is very sick, and the doctors can't seem to find out exactly what the problem is or how to "fix" it. I understand this. Doctors are only human, and do the best they can. I've been praying instead to the God who made our bodies, to the Great Physician who can grant wisdom to doctors and can heal with His own touch. I'm praying not only for Grandpa's body, but his spirit...that He would find comfort, hope, and rest in the One who can heal the body and the soul.

Rest for the weary...sounds good to me.

I could write on so many of this week's verses. Jesus calms the storm...Jesus walks on water...Peter sinks when he takes his eyes off Jesus....Parable of the soils (good stuff)...the woman reaching out to touch His garment amidst the crowd of those in need of healing. The power of His healing touch. The amount of times He says, "Do not be afraid."

Instead...I am tired...And rest is on my mind.

And He said to them, "Come aside by yourselves to a deserted place and rest awhile." For there were many coming and going, and they did not even have time to eat. So they departed to a deserted place in the boat by themselves. ~ Mark 6:30-32

Jesus saw the importance of rest...even in serving others. There were many coming and going...multitudes in need. So many that the disciples didn't even have time to eat. Have you felt that way? I have.

Yes...I know what happens next. The multitudes follow them. Jesus is moved with compassion and teaches them. Then He performs the miracle of feeding the five thousand people with five loaves of bread and two fish! You're probably thinking, "That doesn't sound like rest to me."

The important thing I want to share is that Jesus placed a value on resting. God rested on the seventh day, after He created the world. The Bible often talks about rest...that we should set aside time to rest...that He will provide rest for our weary souls. (I am too tired to look up the verses...but they exist.)And, in chapter 6, we find that He did, finally, rest when the work was finished...when the needs were met. When the multitudes were sent away, He went to the mountain to pray. (see 6:46)

That is what my prayer is tonight...for myself...and for my Grandpa. Rest for our weary bodies...peace for our troubled hearts... and blessed assurance of an eternal future with our Savior. (And, I also ask for complete healing in His time and through whatever means He chooses).

Tonight, I reach out and touch His garment, seeking His assurance, His healing, His rest...seeking Him.

8 comments:

Snarky Belle said...

I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. I'm sorry for your pain. May God bless you with peace and rest, as much of it as you need, until you feel refreshed. (((hugs)))

DeeDee said...

Oh Kelly - so well put. I will be praying for you and your grand father (and the rest of the family). I was so tired when I posted mine last night too. Emotionally tired. That is why it was so short... so if we can apply what we've said - rest and praise. With you sweet sister.
Praying, resting and praising!
love and blessings!

Angela said...

What a calming assurance to know that we can rest in Him!

Laurie Ann said...

Precious post. May you find the sweet rest that comes from Him. Praying for your Grandpa...

DeeDee said...

oh and... thanks so much for your support and prayers for my family (especially my son) as we get ready for the soon coming deployment. You are a blessing to me!

Meredith said...

Oh, I pray your grandpa experiences the healing rest that he needs as well. So beautifully put!! even though you are weary.......you still have a way with the words!
SWeet rest!

La Familia Garcia said...

YES! Rest is important! I'm thankful that this is something God ordained and we can honor him by resting!

Tricia said...

What a wonderful post... and one that I can so relate too! I did not do my Tuesday post as I was too weary and tired and overwhelmed with all that is on my plate right now...

I have taken time to step away and get my priorities back in the right order, I have rested and played with my boys, done some planning so the days do not have to be so stressful, and have spent some much needed time at His feet... I am feeling refreshed and renewed, and determined to keep my priorities in the right order!

May you be refreshed and renewed also as you seek Him, and I pray that your grandfather finds healing and rest...

Blessings!