Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Saturday, January 10, 2009

White as Snow



There is a pristine blanket of untouched snow outside my window this morning. At work yesterday, I watched the snow falling outside all afternoon. It was the same kind of snow on that first snowfall of the year, twelve years ago. The same type of big, fluffy beautiful, perfect snowflakes that fell silently as my Faith and Grace were born silently. Every time it snows like that, I remember them, and receive anew the gift that they have been to my life.

As I sat in the hall noticing the snow for a moment, a co-worker said, "Beautiful, isn't it?" I closed my eyes and saw the beauty of my girls' faces and agreed, "Yes... beautiful....perfect."

There's something about snow that seems like a gift straight from heaven. It is so white and pure, so filled with possibility, so miraculous. I like to think of those I love who are in Heaven's glory, dancing with Jesus in their perfect home full of beauty that my eyes have yet to see. They were my glimpse into what eternity holds. I was the woman blessed among women to hold them as He brushed past me to take them home. And I was there when the miracle happened each time. I was there when He took sweet Faith and Grace, so silently and sent the snowfall to blanket my storm with His perfect peace. I was there when He brushed past me so closely I could have touched the hem of His garment and He carried my Thomas from my arms to His, leaving me with songs of praise on my lips, peace in my heart, and the evidence of His sufficient grace shining in my eyes.

And I was there when my mother suffered more than I knew anyone could, as she walked through the valley of the shadow of death. This time, I felt the strength and darkness of death like never before. The ashes before the beauty. The storm before He comes. The agony and suffering. All of it wrestling to take the life of my beautiful, precious little mother. I watched death steal her life one breath at a time. I was there to hold her, to pray for her, to read His word, to sing of His promises...but I wondered if He would come. Would He come to take her home? Would He carry her like I promised? How long would He leave us here? And I was there when He came. The moment she left this earth with all of it's sickness, sorrow, and pain to enter paradise with Her King, I was there. For each of those most dear to me who have left this earth, I have had the privilege of being there as they took their last breath here, and their first in Heaven's glory. Thank you, Lord for that gift. Thank you, for your faithful promises.

Though your sins are like scarlet,
They shall be as white as snow...
Isaiah 1:18


This morning, I look at the snow and feel His peace quiet me once more. The promise of His forgiveness. The hope of His promises. The new mercies that await each morning. The sufficient grace that carries us through each day. Beneath the snow, it's muddy and brown...all the splendor and color of Spring's new life dead for a season...like us, before we were washed clean by the blood of Jesus...dirty and dead in our sin. And He came to rescue and breathe new life into us...to cleanse us with His sacrifice and cover us in a blanket of pure white snow. May you feel His peace wash over you today, and may His promises give you hope.

Eye has not see, nor ear heard,
Nor have entered into the heart of man
The things which God has prepared for those who love Him.
1 Corinthians 2:9

4 comments:

heidi said...

Kelly, this was so beautiful...brought tears to my eyes. I don't think I remember ever taking a look at snow before and realizing the symbol it holds. You'd think I would have being that I grew up in North Dakota where snow is more common than grass! What a perfect picture of his forgiveness and His covering of our sins. I loved how you mentioned that the white snow covers the dirt and mud beneath...I hope when people read this they can truly grasp that great meaning. I'm so glad His blood covers my sins! Just like the pure white snow that falls from Heaven. This was so beautiful...a belssing...thank you for sharing your thoughts!

Stacy D said...

This was beautiful...

Linda said...

Beautifully written and so very true. Thank you for sharing and blessing me today as it snows in Colorado - I had already taken today off to be humbly with my God but now with the snow I will look for his voice in it. I don't tend to like snow in fact I'd probably say I hate it only when I have to drive in it. :) I think the Lord graciously guided me to your blog this early morning. Blessing to you today!

Rachel @ Finding Joy said...

Thank you for a beautiful post. You know how much I love the analogy of snow...how beautiful the pristine whiteness is...and how that is how our Lord sees us.

Blessings to you,
Rachel @ findingjoy...

www.homeschoolblogger.com/raesfamily