Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Keeping it Real

O.K....it's been awhile since I've shared a good keeping it real post. So, here goes...

My pastor is always teasing me about showing some of the "other sides of Kelly" on my blog. I laughed once when a few of you thought that I seemed like a serious and quiet person! In real life, I am far from quiet...and while I am serious when the situation calls for it, you will much more likely find me laughing. It is true that I laugh and cry with equal abandon. Emotions seem to ooze from me, and I make no apologies for that...especially as it seems to increase with each passing year.

My house is a disaster right now. I have piles of laundry to fold, and piles that need to be washed. There are dirty dishes in my sink, and crumbs on my floor (partly because I joyfully allowed baby Max to walk around eating his lunch...and because, there are always crumbs somewhere in my house, it seems.). There are golf balls scattered throughout the house, SGM golf outing items, my thankfulness journal that hasn't been written in for over a week, the manuscript I've been writing for the past several years off and on, nail files, newspapers, and a can of cherry cola on my end tables.

I went to two graduations and ate a plate full of food at each one. I ate more than my boys. Yes, yes I did. After all that Made to Crave talk. Sigh. And, I ate so many cupcakes at last week's staff retirement parties at work that I worked myself into some sort of sugar buzz. My friend Tracy and I were so "sugar tipsy" you would have thought that someone put something in the lemonade! Shameful, I know. I assure you, I'm still eating healthy most of the time. And exercising. Just stumbled off the wagon for a bit, so to speak.

I met a few blog friends at Women of Faith, and I have to admit something. I'm always a little concerned about meeting blog readers in person. I wonder about their perception of me from reading the blog. I wonder if they will be disappointed when they find out I'm such a goof ball and always finding myself in "I Love Lucy"-type moments. I talk too much, and laugh so hard that my whole body jiggles. Sometimes I eat too much, and thoroughly enjoy my food. I'm messy and clumsy. I am much better at writing than knowing what to say in the moment and often regret and replay my words. I care too much what others think and never want anyone to be disappointed. An impossible and unrealistic goal.

A funny story along the lines of meeting people. We were at the (cue Hallelujah Chorus) Cheesecake Factory and we had just taken a "restroom break" and were chatting away while we waited for our table. I was standing by Erin (who really is quite Radiant) and across from Holly and Mattie, when I realized that my zipper was down. The gracious thing to do would be to discreetly return to the restroom and take care of the situation. But, not me. Being the Lucy-girl that I am, I shimmied rather non-discreetly (although I was certainly trying to be discreet!), attempting to use Erin as my shield. I was sort of leaning into her unintentionally and bumping into her with parts of me that often get in the way. She did not realize what I was doing, so kept looking at me a little strangely as I continued to infringe in her personal space. Yes, I drew more attention to my predicament. Finally I explained to Erin what I was doing and she looked a little less concerned about why I was leaning into her!! She had barely met me, so I'm sure she was wondering about me a bit!

These are the kinds of things that happen to me everyday!! I am always messing up, spilling something on myself, and finding myself in embarrassing situations. But, like the great Michael Scott or maybe Forest Gump, I seem to be able to pull it off when I need to and pull it together in a professional way. I will attribute that to God's abundant, never-ending, and always sufficient grace. The bible says He chooses the foolish things of the world to confound the wise. And, that His strength is made perfect through our weakness. I suppose He has many opportunities to prove that to be true in my life!!

Anyway, I'm glad there are multi-faceted parts to the person I am. It would be boring if there weren't. And, like I tell the children at school, we should embrace the person God has created us to be, and not waste our time wishing to be someone else. That's why I'm resisting the urge to paint a perfect picture for you. (Which isn't really that easy, because a perfect picture is what I'd really LIKE to present. Unfortunately, it's impossible since there is no perfect picture here...and my constant mishaps have caused me to give up long ago!) If you've met me in real life, you know better anyway. Thankfully, many of you have chosen to stick around, despite my quirks. And, there I'm so glad you have.

Tomorrow, we are helping with the Memorial Day parade and ceremony in our little town, and One Way will be performing a couple songs. Will you pray for us...and pray for some extra grace for the "I Love Lucy" moments that are sure to come? May we have the grace to laugh when they do. Thanks!

If we get a video that turns out, I'll share it. =) Please take some time to remember those who have given their lives to protect the freedoms we enjoy in this great land.

Love to all...

9 comments:

Jenilee said...

well, you were incredibly cute and easy to be around when I met you last year! Can't wait until we meet again!!! :)

Kristin said...

Hope you have a wonderful time tomorrow! I think most of us all have those moments.....I think that's just being normal, if we will admit it! :D

Holly said...

You're perfect just the way you are!! :) It's what makes you you! You were much more discreet than I would've been w/ the zipper incident. I think I would've just zipped it up in front of everyone. So maybe I should learn some manners from you! lol

Caroline said...

I have never met you but you seem like a wonderful person. I know myself I have times like that. Have a great time tomorrow.

Mary said...

I love "keepin it real" posts! Why is it, especially as Christian women, that we try to act like we have it all together? Good to know I am not alone! :)

Debby@Just Breathe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Debby@Just Breathe said...

(I had a error) Kelly you sound perfect to me and who doesn't want someone fun to hang with. I would love to have the pleasure to meet you someday.

Hannah Rose said...

Haha LOVE this post! You're great :-)

Unknown said...

Very honest, I love it! I can relate to a lot of how you are. I think were all messy and clumsy in our own ways, and I still don't understand how some women have their house so immaculately clean with children no less. I think you're amazing just the way you are!