Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Monday, March 2, 2009

The Valley of the Shadow...

For more information about Tuesdays Together in The Word or to join us on the journey, please visit DeeDee's blog.

The Lord is my shepherd;
I shall not want.
He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still waters.
He restores my soul;
He leads me in paths of righteousness
For His name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;
For You are with me;
Your rod and staff, they comfort me...
Psalm 23:1-4


I have spent some time in the valley of the shadow of death. The darkness has overshadowed my life several times. It has surrounded me, brushed past me, and momentarily blocked the light. I have walked in that valley with those I love. And I now walk there each day, with those I barely know as they face the same dark shadow. It is interesting that God has called me to such a ministry...to such a purpose. For, I am ill-equipped for such a thing. I have friends who stood with me in the valley who are much better at walking alongside a broken-hearted soul than I could ever be. (Really, this walk is the very definition of His strength being made perfect through my weakness.) And, on top of that, I really am not a fan of grieving (who is?)...I'm far from a melancholy spirit. One of the greatest compliments I ever received was from a lovely woman named Ruth, who always referred to me as "the girl who laughs". Although I have cried many tears while walking in the valley of the shadow of death, the tears do not define me. The tears were just for sowing. Rather, it is the "songs of joy" we reap from the tears that we've sown, which so much better define the person God has created me to be. The Girl Who Laughs.

The truth is, there is comfort...even in the valley of the shadow of death. We fear no evil...Because Jesus is there. He is our caregiver, our perfect shepherd. He will quiet us, even amidst the noise. He will lead us beside still waters, even as the stormy seas of grief rage on. He will restore our souls, even as we see only the brokenness of our pain. His rod and His staff they comfort us. We are never closer to Him (on this Earth) than when we walk in that dark valley. He meets us there.

If you are not sure of this Jesus who meets you there, in the valley of the shadow of death, please allow me to introduce you:

...for as I was passing through and considering the objects of your worship, I even found an altar with this inscription:
TO THE UNKNOWN GOD.
Therefore, the One whom you worship without knowing, Him I proclaim to you; God, who made the world and everything in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands. Nor is He worshipped with men's hands, as though He needed anything, since He gives to all life, breath, and all things. And He has made from one blood every nation of men to dwell on all the face of the earth, and has determined their preappointed times and the boundaries of their dwellings, so that they should seek the Lord, in the hope that they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us; for in Him we live and move and have our being... ~ Acts 17:23-28a


If you are surrounded by darkness, groping around unsure, lost in pain, sorrow, sickness, fear...just lost...Reach out to the God who waits for you with open arms. Reach out to the One who longs to hold you, to lead you out of the darkness, away from the storm...to the still waters, where He will gently restore your weary soul. Just reach for Him...

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. ~ Psalm 23:6

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please pray and tell every prayer warrior you know to pray for Jennifer.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit Lynette for more information on Getting to Know You...

6 comments:

Stacy D said...

Kelly,

I am so thankful for you and your ministry. I hate it that there is even a need for a ministry such as yours, but am thankful that you have pursued GOd's call on your heart to minister to others who have and are walking in that valley. Thank you for being the hands and feet of Jesus to us hurting moms who also had to say goodbye to our sweet children too soon. You continue to be such a source of encouragement to me.

~ Stacy

DeeDee said...

Oh Kelly -
Thank you so much for your words this morning...
They are a sweet ministry to me.
I love this: "...the tears do not define me. The tears were just for sowing. Rather, it is the "songs of joy" we reap from the tears that we've sown, which so much better define the person God has created me to be."
Oh, how true.
Thanks for your love and prayers with me as I walk my journey these days.
Sweet Blessings,
DeeDee

Jennifer Ross said...

Kelly,
I cannot thank you enough for adding me on your blog for prayer! May God Bless your faithful heart.


We had Psalm 23 read at Isaiah's memorial. The more that I go through, the more I feel His perfect love. I can't even grasp onto the thought that He loves us so much to send His only son to die. After what happened with Isaiah, I got a little taste of what a gift God had given us. I didn't have a choice, but God did, and now He will meet us in the valley, and carry us when the load is to much.

Jennifer

Blog is no more said...

Beautiful post! I know God has blessed your ministry, He has chosen you to minister to those who at this time, need it the most.
God bless you!

Veronica @ Luv My Quiver Full Of Arrows said...

I can't wait to pass this on to my dear SIL. Your posts are always so encouraging and I thank God for you.

xoxo, Veronica in CA

Tricia said...

Kelly,
I just love this post, really I love all of your posts. I can tell that you are close to our Savior...

this spoke to me "the tears do not define me. The tears were just for sowing. Rather, it is the "songs of joy" we reap from the tears that we've sown, which so much better define the person God has created me to be."

How wonderful that we are not defined by our tears, but by the songs of joy that God puts in our hearts when we cling to Him through the time of tears...

Thank you, and I am praying for Jennifer and will add her to my prayer blog, thanks for letting me know.

Blessings!