Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The One To Whom I Belong... (And an added prayer request/update)

For more information about Tuesdays Together in The Word or to join us on the journey, please visit DeeDee's blog.

How long, O Lord? Will You forget me forever?
How long will You hide Your face from me?
How long shall I take counsel in my soul,
Having sorrow in my heart daily?
How long will my enemy be exalted over me?
Consider and hear me, O Lord my God;
Enlighten my eyes,
Lest I sleep the sleep of death;
Lest my enemy say,
"I have prevailed against him";
Lest those who trouble me rejoice when I am moved.
But I have trusted in Your mercy;
My heart shall rejoice in Your salvation.
I will sing to the Lord,
Because He has dealt bountifully with me.

~Psalm 13


Have you ever asked the Lord "How long...?" How long will my sorrow last? How long before I am rescued? How long will I feel forsaken, forgotten, broken? How long will I carry "sorrow in my heart daily"?

Do you know what amazes me the most about those "How long" questions? I am amazed that we are allowed to ask them of the God of the Universe. Not only are we allowed, but we are welcomed to pour out our hearts to Him...our fears, our doubts, our sorrows, our failings, our brokenness. Not only are we welcomed into His very throne room with open arms, He longs for us to come to Him...longs for us to lay each burden, each ugly broken piece of our lives, even our most hideous sin at His feet. And He will lift each burden from our weary shoulders, make something beautiful out of the ugly, broken pieces of our lives, and wash us clean as He forgives us for our most hideous sins.

My feeble mind cannot wrap itself around such promises. And yet, I have seen Him do these very things more than once in my life. I have asked Him in my deepest sorrow, "How long, O Lord?" And I have seen His answers. I have been carried through the "How longs"...comforted through the daily sorrow of my heart. I have seen the "joy that comes in the morning", after a long night of weeping.

Once, I looked around at church, each Sunday morning and asked, "How long..." as I prayed that we would be a complete family sitting in the pew together. He whispered to my heart, one day "It won't be long, dear one. I have heard your prayers...the cry of your heart. And, soon you will sit here together. You will worship together as a family, and it will be as if it has always been this way." And so it happened years ago. Today, we share in ministry together.

Once, we stood broken beside the graves of our children...Faith, Grace, and Thomas and I asked "How long...". How long will this grief and sorrow dwell in our hearts, tearing at our family? How long, O Lord? When will joy come to our house...when will morning come to stay? He whispered to my heart, "I will carry you, dear one. I will hold you and comfort you. My grace is sufficient for you." And so it was. He carried me and comforted me. His grace was sufficient for me. Morning came to stay...love and beauty grew out of the pain and ashes. Joy was restored. And miracles were born.

Many more times in my life, I have cried "How long...". And many more times, He has sustained me. For, I have trusted in His mercy...My heart rejoices in His salvation...I sing to the Lord because He has dealt bountifully with me. He is the One who holds my tears in a bottle. The One who formed me and knew me when I was yet in my mother's womb. He is the One who hears all my "How longs".

And He is the God to whom I belong and whom I serve. (see Acts 27:23)
Thank you, dear Jesus, for Your great faithfulness, your endless mercy, and Your perfect...abundant...sufficient grace that covers me every day. I will sing of Your mercy and grace, rejoicing in Your salvation...for you have dealt bountifully with me.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATED PRAYER NEED: We have been praying for Jennifer, and she needs our prayers again. She is expecting and has been bleeding and clotting in her uterus. Doctors thought she was miscarrying the baby on March 7. She never passed a clot, and when she went to the doctor today, there was a strong heartbeat. THE BABY IS ALIVE! Mother and baby's lives still remain in danger as long as she continues to bleed...so MUCH prayer is needed. This is a miracle! Praise the Lord...and please join me in asking for more miracles for sweet Jennifer...who has already lost her precious Isaiah and another little one from this condition. Please tell every prayer warrior you know and get on your knees on behalf of this precious mother and her family. Please visit her here, and let her know you're praying.

10 comments:

Carol said...

For Faith, Grace and Thomas who are very busy "perfecting their dance in Heaven", and for you who must constantly ask, "How long?"...I have no answers. I have a friend who has lost not 3 like you, but one beautiful daughter, Lauren Grace, full term, beautiful, born into heaven. She was over 9 lbs. and it had been a very good normal pregnancy. Mom called it a "true cord accident" and we leave it at that. I mourn for her every time the children go forward to sing or for the kid's sermon. I mourn for her when songs come up talking about love and children. I cringe for her when we watch parenting videos. She and her husband would just LOVE to be parenting. I visited them last week on the 1st birthday of Lauren. They were quiet, they showed me some momentos and their memory garden. She has since had a miscarriage.....How long, Lord must they wait for their child? How long must they suffer in this pain. I pray for you and I pray for my friends. May God make the time pass quickly and easily until there are answers. Love, Carol

The Dortenzos said...

Thank you for those words today!!! These weeks are hard for me as I celebrate my daughter's birthday and the heavenly birthday of our other daughter--two extreme's of life on earth and life eternal! We celebrate the gift of our sweet Riley and mourn yet celebrate the gift of our sweet Cicely less than two weeks later! And yet--His grace and mercy ARE sufficient!!! The sorrow can be horribly painful but our God is tenderhearted and hears our cries, pains--He listens and watches as His plans unfold as we trust and walk the path He chose for us and for our children!!! God Bless you and the words He gives you to share with others! :)

Jennifer Ross said...

Thank you for the beautiful "Dreams Of You" book. I got baby books for my three oldest boys, and to me this represents Isaiah's baby book. It is put together so well. Before I write in it, I am going to take it up to the O.B. department at our local hospital, and let them look it over to see if they would be interested in buying some for women who have to say goodbye to their precious baby.

I really like your post. I find myself also asking, "How long O Lord"? I may not get the closer that I'm looking for, but I know that there is a plan and I want to do my very best in completing it.

Laurie Ann said...

Kelly, thank you for reminding us that as long as we don't question God's sovreignty and holiness, we can question Him. He invites us to know Him intimately. He loves us so much and longs to comfort us. Throughout the years of infertility and subsequent miscarriage I asked, "How long..." so many times. He gave me strength and hope with the assurance that He would provide. Although it was in a very different way than I expected, I was exceedingly blessed.

I so enjoyed your post, my friend. Your heart is beautiful and radiates His sufficient grace. Bless you for sharing so openly with us.

Tammy On the Go said...

Thank you for that....

La Familia Garcia said...

wow, I don't think I've ever looked at it with the thought that asking God "how long" can actually bring me closer to him as I empty out my haert to him. Becoming intimate with God is what it's all about! Thanks for this post!

DeeDee said...

Once again - we stopped on the same passage! I did not print the entire Psalm...

Thank you so much for your words.. and your questions...

You minister to me...
Also thanks for your kind words of encouragement and your prayers during this trying time in my life. I just read through your posts about your mom...and cried. With you and for me.

Thanks again so much!
You are a blessing!
Love,
~dd

Unknown said...

Kelly,
Thanks for the update on Jennifer. Wow, what a miracle! I hope and pray that her body will stop bleeding and that her baby will be alive and healthy.

Oh, yes, I've certainly asked the Lord many many times - "How Long?" He's so understanding and merciful. I'm so thankful for the precious love of our Saviour.

Have a beautiful evening Kelly.
Love,
Lynnette
PS I'll be in touch with you soon with some questions regarding your ministry - my website (I'm revamping it).

Tricia said...

How neat that we used the same passage... I love your post... I too have had my how longs and God has always been there for me and proved Himself so very faithful and loving.

Thank you for sharing from your heart!

Blessings!

bethe53013 said...

When I lost my baby the internet was still new, I think its wonderful that we have this resource to connect with eachother. For a resource on infant loss please check out
www.eloquentbooks.com/ShirleysGarden.html