Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Friday, July 17, 2009

Read With Us and My Blogiversary Winner





My sweet bloggy-friend, Holly created Read With Us...and I will be participating (when I can) as we read my other bloggy-friend, Lynnette Kraft's book, In Faithfulness, He Afflicted Me. I am so excited her book was chosen for this. It has been such a blessing and inspiration to me.

If you are married, what was your marriage like in the beginning? When did you first decide you wanted to have children? Was it planned or unplanned?


Lynnette shares how she and her husband were focused on the things of this world in the beginning of their marriage. I am married...for more than fifteen years. Tim and I were married very young. Actually, I'm not sure if I've shared this before on my blog (I might have.), but Tim was still a senior in high school when we were married. We did not plan our first venture into parenthood. I have wanted to be a mother since I was a very little girl...always mothering on my siblings. Timothy was born when I was eighteen, the year after I graduated high school. Tim was seventeen and a senior. For many years, I wouldn't have shared that with those who didn't know us. Living in a small town, everyone who does know us already knows how our journey began. But, there is beauty in sharing it now because of where the Lord has brought us. Our marriage is evidence of His ability to make beauty from ashes...to make all things new...to redeem and restore...to pour out His grace and mercy. So, I share it now as a testimony to my amazing God.

Our marriage was rocky at first. Neither one of us knew how to be married. We came from divorced families, and knew little of what marriage should look like. We were a little overwhelmed with the new responsibilities. Tim went to high school all day and worked at night. We lived in a little one bedroom apartment. I worked as a waitress in the afternoons and my mother helped watch our baby, Timothy. Tim and I struggled to get along and to navigate our way through this new adult world. We were just trying to survive.

It didn't take me long before I realized that I couldn't do this on my own. I was falling apart. I gave my life to the Lord and started going to church and reading my bible. Some amazing women came into my life, and started teaching me how to be a wife to my husband. The mothering part came pretty easy (at least back then!). But, I had a lot to learn about being a wife. Tim did not join me at church...and it would be many years before that prayer was answered. But it was answered!

What feelings did you have for your child when you first found out you were pregnant?

I love how Lynnette shared how pregnancy changed her. I was excited and nervous. I was so young, but began to change immediately. I began reading pregnancy books to see how my baby was developing. I wanted to eat right and take care of myself and felt the responsibility right away. I loved him and felt protective of him immediately.

At what point in your life did you start searching for God?

One of my favorite parts of chapter one is the fact that both Lynnette and her husband started seeking the Lord at about the same time. That is so beautiful. God weaves each of our tapestries in a unique and individual way.

I grew up attending church off and on with my family. I enjoyed church, and when I was a young teenager would sometimes even walk to church myself on Sunday mornings. When I was in Catechism, I even thought of becoming a missionary. I sang in church, and just loved being there. But, as a teenager, I became rebellious and often fell into a pattern of sin and repentance. I continued to pray and read my bible, but I wasn't walking closely with the Lord.

Having Timothy changed my life. I was on a pretty rough path filled with poor choices until he came into my life. It was the first realization that something...someone was bigger than "me". He needed me to be the grown up...to take care of him. Being his mother led me to know how much I needed the Lord in my life. I changed so completely and immediately as I fell in love with this precious baby.

It was a couple months into our marriage when I really started seeking the Lord. Oh, how He changed my life...the lives of every member of this family! And He continues the work He began so many years ago.

Has God ever provided for you?
I loved reading how the Lord provided a house for Lynnette and Kyle. He is so good. Yes, God has provided for our family in amazing ways. Too many to share on this post! He is so faithful.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And...the winner of the blogiversary giveaway who will receive the short story anthology, Encounters With God (which contains my very own short story!) is.....

MY SWEET BLOGGY FRIEND: JENNIFER ROSS from His Grace is Sufficient!!!!!

Congratulations, Jennifer! I think I might have your address somewhere in my email file. So, I'll ship it right out to you! Thanks again to everyone for your well wishes on my blogiversary and the birthday of my sweet Thomas. Blessings to all...

7 comments:

Holly said...

I fixed the date on the list and linked you. Sorry about that! I had some trouble with the dates staying but it should be good now. :)

Holly said...

Congrats to Jennifer for winning!

Thanks for joining in on the reading, Kelly. I enjoyed reading what you wrote. Your teenage years sound much like mine. I'd do something wrong and come running back to yet again go out and do it again. I'm glad that is behind me!!

Jennifer Ross said...

Wow! I'm so excited! I just got to the end of your post, and I said, "Oh my gosh, I won?!" My kids ran over to my computer and got all excited with me. I really can't wait to get the book. How exciting!

When reading about how God has worked in your marriage and having your son, it's a real encouragement to me. We don't know what God has planned for our future, but as you look back, you can see His perfect plan put together. That's were our faith needs to be strong, trusting the Lord to see us through our struggles.

Much Love,
Jenny

Linda said...

Kelly,...I love you,...love your story! Love how God has worked in your life. Love who you are in Him now. Love that people are reading "my Lynnette's" book and relating to it,...and loving God and all He does.

John and I are going on a little trip this morning, so I will have to catch up with you when we get back. We are having our 33rd anniversary! God is so good.

I too have my shaky beginnings with a failed marriage and then a good marriage that almost failed too,...and then the long journey with God that found me praying for 15 years for John to accept Christ. And now 15 years of living with my "saved" husband.

As I said before,...God is so good!

I always encourage women to keep trusting God, and keep on loving their husbands, and to keep on praying for them. God is a God of miracles! Amen?

Love you,
Linda

Veronica @ Luv My Quiver Full Of Arrows said...

I loved getting to know you better, Kelly. ANd thank you for sharing yourself so freely.

Congrats, Jenny!!!!

xoxo, Veronica inCA

Debbie said...

Coming in a little late here because I didn't realize there were more links up on Carleigh's blog about the book. I just LOVE how you write!!! I'm glad you're joining us reading. ~Debbie

vera said...

I loved reading this post and getting to know you more.