Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Why I Love Golf...And Some Random Spring Pics

O.K. you caught me...this post was originally written "in the beginning" of my blog days. But, I feel confident most of you have not read it: a. because no one was reading my blog back then and b. because most of you probably are not drawn to a post entitled "Why I Love Golf...". So I think it's safe to re-post as a Wednesday's Walk! If you are among those who do not love golf, I encourage you to read anyway. There may still be something for you! To share your sweet memories, please visit Lynette by clicking below:





The love affair began with the first ping....the beautiful sound of the club connecting with the sweet spot of the round dimpled ball. And it happened...the glorious white sphere flew up into the air and soared against the blue sky just like it was meant to do. Never mind that it took so many agonizing chunks and duffs and whiffs that resulted in the ball rolling a few feet in front of me before it happened. Never mind that I had only made the beautiful connection once out of fifty swings. Never mind that sweat was dripping down the side of my face and my arms were aching. It was too late...I was forever bound with this exhilarating, exasperating, humbling, enticing, equalizing game they call golf. That night, I stayed at the ladies' golf clinic (the one Tim had encouraged me to attend) long after everyone else left...long after blisters formed on my hands and they started bleeding. I asked for a band-aid and kept swinging.

I know what you girly-girls are thinking...ewww sweat....ewww blood! Let me tell you something...I am the queen of girly-girls. I was the girl in gym class that made the athletic boys groan with impatience when it was my turn at bat in wiffle ball. I am not one who regularly works out. I am not very coordinated and no one would ever mistake me for being athletic. The thing is, most of my life, I have avoided making attempts at sports or anything that I knew I wouldn't be particularly good at. And here's the reason...I can't stand to not master something. It's fine for me to say I wouldn't be very good at something I've never tried before...but it's another thing altogether for me to try and fail. It drives me crazy to not "be good" at something once I've tried it. I'm not competitive with others so much as myself...I want to do my best.

I know...prideful and petty though it may seem...God is using this pathetic trait of mine for good in my life. And learning to step out and try things that are not in my comfort zone is part of His plan for me. After all, our determination and perseverance comes from having high standards of excellence. And, while the Lord is often allowing me to be humbled and reminded of my imperfections and incompetencies despite my strong bent toward perfectionism...I press on.

Like so many who have fallen into the captivating clutches of the seductive game of golf, I decided to work at this game so that I could get better (or at least not completely embarrass my family on the course). And in the process, I have become utterly and completely smitten with golf.

Our entire family golfs. Tim...who incidentally is good at everything he does... a natural athlete with high standards of his own. The difference is that he is almost always able to achieve the standards with his grace and quiet, strong confidence. Timothy...who shares many of his father's athletic traits (except that he golfs and plays baseball left-handed)...he eats, sleeps and breathes golf...his attention to detail and mental focus ...his swing is beautiful, smooth and graceful and he has learned so many lessons that are applicable to life as he grows on his journey toward manhood. James...who at age seven hits the ball about the same distance as his mama...he has a natural swing, and a sweet serious, focused look in his eyes as he approaches the ball. He has learned so much on the course about patience, selflessness, waiting your turn, respecting others, self-control and being quiet (which doesn't happen anywhere else in his life...the quiet part, I mean!)



And me...sometimes I can really hit it, and most times I really CAN'T! When I can't, I'll be in the back yard until after dark trying to do it right. Does that mean I do it well? No...but I won't give up. The other important note: all of my clubs, bag, hat and accessories are pink, cute and girly...even my golf balls. Girl-style is encouraged in golf. The best part of my golf swing is my follow-through. Whatever happens in the beginning and the middle, it all seems to fall together in the end. I guess that's kind of indicative of our walk with the Lord...lots of stuff happens in between the beginning of our lives and the end. He uses all of it...the good, the bad, and the ugly...he shapes and molds, comforts and heals, forgives and cleanses, grows and strengthens us...gently making us into a new creation in Him. And because of Jesus, when the Father sees us ...we look just like we were created to be...and everything just falls into place. We are beauty from ashes to Him...we were the joy set before Jesus...His reason for enduring the cross, despite the shame. And because of Him...for those of us who have placed our trust in Jesus, our follow through...our ending is perfect and secure.

More reasons why I love golf...

1. The golf course is like land-scaping art work. It's a display of God's creation that truly, majestically honors the Creator. The different shades of green contrasting against the blue skies. The trees gently blowing in the breeze. The fluffy clouds...the rolling hills. It's breath-taking. It fills me with peace.

2.Because it's something my family loves. We can enjoy being together...learning patience, humility, integrity, and grace at the hands of this marvelous sport.

3. Golf is revealing. If you golf with someone, you can peek into the windows of that person's heart and soul. What kind of personality do they have? Do they have a temper? Are they honest? How honest? Are they thoughtful? Detail oriented? Focused or easily distracted?

4. Golf is humbling...even those who are very good at it can have a bad shot, a bad round. Behind every joyous, victorious success there are several moments of discouragement and defeat.

5. Golf is a test of will, mental strength, and perseverance. How much are you willing to endure? Can you shake off the bad shots? Can you pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and try again?

6. Just when you are about to give up...just when you think your love for this game could turn to hate...it happens...that perfect ping and soaring ball. And your hope and determination are renewed. And you vow to press on in your quest, not to master but to relish the game.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And now...some springtime fun, including a light saber battle. And James taking pictures of mommy standing beside our tree which bloomed in full this weekend.






Happy Wednesday Walking and Happy Spring!

14 comments:

Linda said...

Hi Kelly,
I loved this post. I don't golf, but my husband does and I sometimes drive the cart and hang out with him. I often say,..."Are We Having Fun Yet?" Ha!

I don't quite get it,...because it does seem like the golfers I see out there get so frustrated when they don't hit the ball well,...(my husband included).

I do love to be outside in the fresh air and sunshine, and I like listening to the birds singing in the trees and the bushes.

I love driving the little cart and laughing with my husband, and just being with him. I cheer him on and cheer him up. I watch him with eyes of admiration and love when he swings the club and that little ball goes so far.

I love to see him enjoy himself, and he enjoys me being there with him.

I love it that you have pink bag, balls, and attire. I know that the look is important too. He wears hats that match his shirts, and he usues Adams clubs.

We live at the golf course, just across the street, and we moved here so that it wouldn't be far for him to go.

I think it is great that your whole family does it together.

I am near sighted,...and even with glasses I often don't see where the ball lands, so I am not much help when my husband says,..."Did you see where it went?". Ha!

Oh well, he loves me anyway!

Thanks for making me smile.

Your friend, Linda
@ Truthful Tidbits

Linda said...

Hi Kelly,
I loved this post. I don't golf, but my husband does and I sometimes drive the cart and hang out with him. I often say,..."Are We Having Fun Yet?" Ha!

I don't quite get it,...because it does seem like the golfers I see out there get so frustrated when they don't hit the ball well,...(my husband included).

I do love to be outside in the fresh air and sunshine, and I like listening to the birds singing in the trees and the bushes.

I love driving the little cart and laughing with my husband, and just being with him. I cheer him on and cheer him up. I watch him with eyes of admiration and love when he swings the club and that little ball goes so far.

I love to see him enjoy himself, and he enjoys me being there with him.

I love it that you have pink bag, balls, and attire. I know that the look is important too. He wears hats that match his shirts, and he usues Adams clubs.

We live at the golf course, just across the street, and we moved here so that it wouldn't be far for him to go.

I think it is great that your whole family does it together.

I am near sighted,...and even with glasses I often don't see where the ball lands, so I am not much help when my husband says,..."Did you see where it went?". Ha!

Oh well, he loves me anyway!

Thanks for making me smile.

Your friend, Linda
@ Truthful Tidbits

Holly said...

I am not a golfer but my husband is. He doesn't get to golf as much as he used to but he enjoys doing it with a few of his buddies. The most golf I get is putt-putt. :)

Janet Benlien Reeves said...

Ah! Light-saber battles! Thanks for sending me on another pleasant walk down memory lane.

Jennifer Ross said...

The way you wrote about golf can really go with our daily walk with the Lord!

Cute pictures of the family, and the blossoms on that tree were beautiful!

Stacy D said...

Kelly,

Great post! I am just learning to play. Went out w/ spencer last night to play 6 holes. Why I don't know yet the thrill of watching my ball soar in the air (mine just skidded across the grass!!) I hope to get to that point :)

~ Stacy

La Familia Garcia said...

So I've always felt (and still do) that golf is the most boring sport to watch or play. But I've come to be ok with that because of the beauty of creation that surrounds you! My husband works at a golf course and it is his pride and joy. and he always wants to play! So yes, I've come to appreciate golf in a whole new way.

Spud said...

You make me want to go out and play! I can't wait until Chase is old enough that we can take the whole family out together. We bought Emily clubs last summer and she is very excited about learning how to play.

I love the pictures. James is always so handsome.

Mary

Nutmeg said...

OK, I'll be quite honest, golf is not my thing; however, you made me almost think twice about taking up the game...almost... ;o)
Enjoyed it!

Abigail Kraft said...

Hey Kelly! Man, you made me want to golf! lol. :) My dad, uncle, and grandpa golf quite often. I'm not into sports at all, but I always found golf kind of classy. You are absolutely right about getting a peek into somebody's heart and soul when they're playing. I've heard stories of the golf course that definitely prove that to be true! ^_^

Thanks for this excellent post! I always leave your blog with a vivid visual.

In His arms,
--Abigail

Laura Hoekstra-Bettig said...

HI Kelly! I haven't posted the past two W. Walk. Just too busy right now but I did love your blog tonight. Your story could be mine...in many ways! I have grown to love golf the past 4 years of my life. It is relaxing now that I realize even the best golfers have bad shots, bad days. It totally removes the pressure and stress for me. The only problem is when I golf with girlfriends. We usually end up letting the faster duos play through so it takes us all afternoon for 9 holes since we get caught up on our lives while we play! Blessings to you, Laura

Patricia said...

I've never tried golfing. I can see where it can develop positive traits in a person. Thank you for sharing. I like the way you have of making each of your posts interesting to read.

Unknown said...

You know what I find interesting about golf? It seems like those who aren't athletic (females) do well with golf (like my sister) and those of us who liked athletics don't do so well. I totally stink - truly can't even hit the ball!

You are such a good writer though, you made me want to try it again if only for the pleasure of enjoying the scenery and a beautiful day. :)

Cute post.

Kristin said...

I have never even tried to play golf and my husband was saying the other day that he wished he knew how to play. I may try to get him lessons some time.