Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Monday, August 2, 2010

Help me Solve a Heated Debate in the Name of Proper Grammar

Alternately titled: The Great Creek Debate 2010

It's 3:43a.m.

I have been awakened with heartburn and kept awake with thoughts I'd rather not think. Sadly, I'm a "once I'm up, I'm up" kind-of girl. I could pour out my deep thoughts here, but instead I thought maybe you would like to help me solve a heated debate that recently took place around the campfire at the Mohican on our mini-family vacation. In fact, I'm quite confident that many of you out there in blogland are also lovers of words and proper grammar, and will be delighted to enter your two cents into this debate. We can call it research.

The argument before us is the correct pronunciation of the word creek. There were five of us, and I was the only one who insisted that the word is pronounced as it is written, with the long "e" sound. Creek. The other four individuals insisted that they had only heard it pronounced crick. I said that a "crick" is something you get in your neck. You go fishing in a creek.(By the way, Ned, this is for you: crick - Pronunciation: \ˈkrik\, Function: noun, Etymology: Middle English cryk, definition: a painful spasmodic condition of muscles (as of the neck or back).)

Their strongest argument was regarding regional dialect. I must say that I do not agree that it is even the dialect in Northwestern Ohio to pronounce creek that other way. But, I have no evidence to back up that theory at this time. My evidence sited at the campfire was every teacher I've ever heard read Little House on The Prairie (which leaves plenty of opportunity for pronouncing the word, creek), everyone I've ever heard refer to Cripple Creek in Napoleon, Ohio, and every member of my family growing up. There must have been others influencing my strong conviction on the pronunciation of this word, as well. For, I wholeheartedly believe that I am correct.

I will concede that there are words in the English language spoken differently due to dialect. I am even guilty in my middle-aged laziness of slipping on my grammar from time to time. Although, I used to pride myself at one point in my life on my impeccable grammar. However, my argument remains that just because the majority of people in a given area pronounce something a certain way does not make it proper grammar.

Also, in true Christian love, I will give other reasons that chip away at the credibility of my campfire friends. Reasons that somehow are coming much more freely to my mind in the wee hours of this morning than they were Saturday night.

Fact: My husband's family background is quite "country". While there is nothing wrong with that at all, I am guessing that my husband spent more time hanging out with his dad in the barn talking about fishing in the "crick" than reading books and listening to his English teachers. I love you, honey...and your sweet family. But, I do not believe you are pronouncing creek, correctly. =)

Fact: My teenage son's arguments that evening were irrelevant because that child would argue with me if I said the sky was blue. That negates anything he said in the discussion. And, for the record, he did not get his pronunciation of the word creek from me. Such rebellion in the hearts of these young folks. =)

Fact: I have known my friend Tracy for years, and I think she and I will agree that her mispronunciation and misuse of words in the English language is one of her most endearing qualities. However, it does not make her an authority on the correct pronunciation of the word, creek. Again, I am calling my friends and family out publicly with the utmost Christian love.

Fact: I have less evidence to refute Tracy's husband's arguments. But, I will say this: Ned loves a good argument more than anyone I know. He has tried for years to drag me into a heated debate about a variety of subjects, and I have resisted for years. Apparently, he had not yet found a subject I felt passionately enough about, until now. Proper grammar may just be my Achilles Heel.

I consulted Merriam-Webster, and the results were inconclusive. Sadly, I think that proper grammar is in danger of becoming extinct because someone has deemed it acceptable to allow dialect to determine how words are pronounced, rather than holding fast to what is deemed "correct". As Tracy pointed out, they will change and add to definitions and pronunciations of words as culture changes and the majority of people influence the way words are expressed. This is disheartening for someone who has enjoyed an abiding love affair with proper grammar.

Webster's results:
Main Entry: creek
Pronunciation: \ˈkrēk, ˈkrik\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English crike, creke, from Old Norse -kriki bend
Date: 13th century
1 chiefly British : a small inlet or bay narrower and extending farther inland than a cove
2 : a natural stream of water normally smaller than and often tributary to a river
3 archaic : a narrow or winding passage

— up the creek : in a difficult or perplexing situation


Webster, I cannot believe you have let me down by including that dialect-influenced pronunciation as even an option! This has forever changed our relationship. It is a sad, sad day when one cannot count on Webster as an authority on the English language. A sad, sad day.

I did, however, find an online site that gives the correct pronunciation of words audibly. You can hear the truth for yourself on this site: www.howjsay.com. Apparently somewhere in the world someone still values proper grammar.

It is with great pleasure that I reveal yet further evidence to my claim from www.fanetik.org. In a chart displaying the correct pronunciation in one column and the incorrect pronunciation in the "but not" column, the answer is clear and irrefutable. Creek, pronounced kreek BUT NOT krik. All is right with the world, no thanks to Webster....I might add.

From this site about the American Standard pronunciation of the word, creek, this statement referred to the Pennsylvania Dutch pronunciation: The German dialect spoken by the so-called Pennsylvania Dutch of lower Pennsylvania is the oldest immigrant language to remain in daily use in the United States, and so it shows very extensive English influences. The fact that it survives at all is due to the extreme clannishness of the people using it... The vulgar American pronunciation often shows itself, as in heist for hoist and krick for creek. I'll concede that vulgar may be a little strong, and I would have worded this with more grace. Perhaps there are others who feel stronger convictions on the subject than I! I will also admit that my own Irish/German heritage has influenced my speech. It makes sense that those gathered around the campfire also boast strong German heritage. (By the way, can I just say that I thoroughly enjoyed the use of the word, clanniness in the statement above?) Still there is an issue of what is correct and proper.

Fact:
The long e-sound in creek is maintained in standard American, but changed to the short i-sound of sit in the vulgate (n. 1.The common speech of a people; the vernacular.2.A widely accepted text or version of a work.).
—Chapter 7. The Standard American Pronunciation. 2. The Vowels


Fact: For Tracy - What did I find on a list of extensive homophones on www.enchantedlearning.com? Oh, just this: creak/creek.

I have not yet found conclusive results on the regional dialect debate, so I thought maybe some of my dear word-loving blogger friends may be able to help me with this one. Plus, I'm getting a little sleepy. It may be true that many of you pronounce creek differently than yours truly. If so, I still love you...(even though I believe I've given a strong case of the correct pronunciation). =) I would love to know how many of you pronounce creek...and I know that you can speak for various parts of the country, which I think will make it more interesting.

So, in the comments of this post, for the sake of research...please state whether you pronounce the word creek as /kreek/ or /krik/. I'd love to hear how you actually pronounce the word and your opinion of the correct pronunciation.

And...as a disclaimer, I hope you know this post is all in fun and much of what I said is meant to be "tongue in cheek". Please do not take offense to my strong grammatical opinions. Creek or crick, I love you just the same! =)

-------------------
UPDATE: New WWY post is now up on the WWY page.
The new featured WWY family will be up by Monday afternoon on the Walking With You page.

15 comments:

Stephanie said...

I just LOL at this whole post. lol. I pronouce it as Creek. I think it all depends on where you're from. My hubby is southern boy and his family call it a crick. I always laugh when I hear it that way. it's always been and always will be a creek to me.

Anonymous said...

I pronounce it as /kreek/ - haha! But my father's family is from W.Virginia, and they pronounce it as /krik/.

This post made me laugh hysterically. Thank you for that!

~ Heather Joy
http://heathersjoy.wordpress.com/

Gottjoy! said...

Funny post...Deep south here and we pronounce it as /kreek/. I have never actually heard anyone pronounce it as /krik/. But the word 'levy' gets butchered all the time here...also route (as in 'I would like a Route 44 Diet Cherry Limeade'=)). I pronounce it 'rewt' and the Sonic drink-order-taker-person-on-the-other-side pronounces it as 'rowt.' I need to look up the correct proounciation.

Karen said...

This is so funny! I pronounce it creek, but my hubby's family is from the hills of W VA and say crick. It actually is a little annoying to me. Thankfully hubby says creek, but will say crick sometimes to get on my nerves!

Blessings,
Karen

Jennifer said...

Too cute! I say creek /kreek/ also. A lot of old timers pronounce it /krik/ though. I live in the heart of the deep south and most people I know call it /kreek/.

Karin said...

I loved this post. Mmm...grammar. I say /kreek/. But for a bit of geographic diversity to add another layer to the argument, here in North Dakota, there are a lot of people who say /krik/. I agree with a previous poster who mentioned that the /krik/ pronunciation seemed to be more common with the older population.

At least the disagreement was over pronunciation and not spelling! I'd have a much harder time if someone were trying to tell me that "crick" is the proper spelling for a small stream. :)

Ah, colloquialisms...

Merriam Webster - colloquial
1 : of or relating to conversation : conversational
2 a : used in or characteristic of familiar and informal conversation; also : unacceptably informal b : using conversational style

Caroline said...

This is a awesome post and I remember this same discussion when I was in High School. My Mom is from Killbuck which has a creek that always floods. I say it Creek but I know a lot of people say crick. It's just one of those words. I know since I have moved to Nevada a lot of people don't say Nevada right. I think all in all it's goes way back to when you were a child and the way you were taught to say things. I hope I helped somewhat.

Thanx Kelly for the comment on my blog today !! I hope you have a awesome Monday. Mohican is a very beautiful place.

Caroline

Cheryl said...

ROTFLOL!

I love it. I have had the same debate with people. It's proper grammer to say Creek, it's local dialect to call it a crick.

Kristin said...

Definitely pronounced creek! Crick is a country way of saying it :) LOL!

Holly said...

Ok, Kelly, this made me laugh! Growing up in NW Ohio most people I know pronounced it "crick" not "creek", including myself. Now, if I was referring to an actual creek by its name I would use "creek" but if I was speaking of a creek in general I would use "crick".

Also, I am interested in knowing if you or any of your family folk refer to groundhogs as whistle pigs or if that is just something my family does. lol

Lori said...

LOVE. ME. SOME. GRAMMAR!

You are correct in that a crEEk is a creek and a crICK is a little problem with your neck (or maybe other parts) by definition.

With regard to pronunciation, as a 2nd grade teacher who drills in phonics, the old "when 2 vowels go walking, the first one does the talking" rule comes to mind...the first e is a bossy e, making it a long pronunciation.

The word creek is an example of one of the six syllable types--the double vowel syllable. This is a type of syllable where two vowels exist but only the long sound of one is heard (for instance, you only hear the o in bOAt). In creek, there are only Es to hear, therefore, it's pronounced as you said, and like feed, greet, meet, meek, leek, seek and so forth...

THAT ALL SAID...my dad's family is from the Appalachian Mountains in VA. Coal miners from WAY back. And they'd dare you to call it anything but a crIck!

And okra is okry!

And a wash cloth is a worsh cloth!!!

xoxo

Cecilia said...

I've heard it both ways, but say it /kreek/. This makes me laugh because my hubby and I get ribbed all the time up here because of our southern "drawl" ;). The pronunciation of pecan is always a fun one!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love this!!! I am such a word person and to see you write all of the etymology et al just delights me! Yes, I taught school for years, but not English. Reading was my favorite subject and I taught first and primary grades.
Creek in my vernacular is /kreek/ ... long e as it looks. BUT, when I lived in Oregon, a dear friend lived on Clear /krik/ in her vernacular! I tried to change that but it never happened! Once a /krik/ always a /krik/, I guess!
Just a great post! I needed this today. Thanks ~ linda

Jennifer Ross said...

Ok, let me stop laughing and pull myself together! lol

I call it a creek, and if I'm out in the boonies(may not be spelled correctly...lol) I might call it a crick just to sound cool. lol

My kids and I have been watching the Little House series, and we just love the old way of living.... other than the way they had to share the bath water! YUCK!!

Teresa said...

I pronounce it creek as in /kreek/ here in California and I vaguely remember hearing it pronounced in Oklahoma during the summers as crick but that just "ain't" right! HA!