Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Goodbye Summer...It's Been a Great Ride

School is underway, which also means that I am back to work. Adjusting to a new schedule and routine is not one of my strengths, I'll admit. While I most certainly enjoy and appreciate my job working with special needs students at the elementary school, it is hard to let go of the sweet freedom and light-hearted fun of summer. My boys are also lovers of the good times of summer, which leaves the three of us in serious "transition mode". No more afternoon naps, impromptu swims at Grandmas, running barefoot with the neighbor boy (James...not me!), late morning snacks, reading on a blanket in the yard after an afternoon bike ride to the library....sigh. It's so hard to say good-bye to three months of Saturdays and the sweetness of summer. Until next year...that is.

So...please bear with me, if it seems like I'm slacking a little right now. A couple more balls have been thrown into our juggling act, and it may take us a little bit to get our balance and rhythm!

Since I'm kind of missing summer, it seems a few summer-reminiscent pictures are in order!

James did an awesome job on his first canoe trip...





The Tims...who definitely had the upper hand in our splash fight!





My friend, Tracy and I in front of The Gerken "Cozy Cabin"...




James with Tracy's son Aidan thoroughly enjoying the bunk bed...


Not pictured is the infamous go-kart wreck between both Tims and James. They were laughing so hard in the pics, but they are dark and somewhat blurry. So I wasn't able to share them here. It was such a great time of refreshment and fun for our family, though. Much needed!

A taste of my favorite place...




When I step on to the golf course, I feel the peace and serenity wash over me. The beauty never fails to catch my breath as I stand atop the hill and behold the shades of green, inhaling the fresh air, feeling the breeze caress my cheek...inviting me to stay awhile. I am captivated by the pristine surroundings...drawn in to drink of the splendor as I leave behind the cares of this world for just a little while.

Golf isn't over, of course...even though the lazy pace of summer has passed for another year. Many afternoons, you can find me here, cheering on the golf team and soaking in the serenity of my favorite place. I am enjoying watching Timothy as high school golf season is well on its way...


-------------

We ended the summer with a performance by our band, One Way, at the Corn City Festival last weekend. Unfortunately, it rained...and rained...and rained some more. Other than a few die hard fans (consisting of mostly family and a few good friends...as well as some passerby who huddled under tents and shelter houses to listen...) our crowd was pretty small. We still had a really great time, and it seemed to be a blessing to those who did brave the conditions to come out. I really love the boys from One Way (especially the guitar player...He's pretty cute!), and I'm so grateful for all the time they put into preparing for our little performances. It's such a blessing, and also a lot of fun to serve the Lord with these dear friends.

Singing in the rain...





I wish I had some pictures to share of James with his friend, Clayton. They didn't let the rain slow them down a bit. They took off their shoes and rode the blow up rides, running barefoot in the rain and sliding gleefully down the slides as if they were the only children at a water park! Never mind if it rains on your parade...just let the rain become part of the celebration! They certainly did... =)

O.K....that's enough summer memories for now...sniff. Just wanted to leave you with a reminder that we are still featuring blogs and stories of grieving moms on Walking With You each Monday. Please take some time on Mondays to encourage and pray for these families. (The post is usually up by late in the day Monday...you know...I'm juggling!)

10 comments:

The Writer Chic said...

Super cute white dress, Kel. I must be channeling you -- I bought one very similar on clearance at Walmart yesterday. Can't wait to cute it up with a jean jacket and jewelry.

Unknown said...

What a fun summer time you all had! I will miss the summer, however I am ready for the weather that fall brings with it!!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

It went by quickly. Looks like it was an awesome summer. How wonderful that you enjoy golf. I have played a few times but I never became an avid golfer. That is a great place to go for peace.
Have a wonderful school year.

Kristin said...

It will take us awhile to get back into our school routine too. Looks like you had a great Summer though!

Sarita Boyette said...

Glad you had a great summer - what wonderful memories you helped make for your boys! xoxoxo

Linda said...

Sounds like you and the family had a fabulous summer!

You look cute up there on stage singing your heart out to God! (:>) You little songbird!

Jenilee said...

the canoe trip looks like great fun! and I would love to hear you sing sometime! :)

Caroline said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful summer. Lots of great memories made. I would love to hear you sing sometime.

Caroline

Unknown said...

Looks like you had a wonderful summer! Great pics Kelly!

Have fun doing the new (old) thing. :)

Love,
Lynnette

Holly said...

Is that the same gazebo you sang on last year?

It's been so long since I've been canoeing! You went on the Mohican, right?

I'm sure you and your boys will miss summer!!