Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Monday, August 9, 2010

The Yoke We Carry



The above picture was taken on a field trip to Sauder's Museum in May. James was eager to test out the yoke after watching other boys boast being able to carry its heavy weight. I, of course, used it as an opportunity to point out how heavy the yoke would be to carry a long distance on his own, as I lifted it from his sagging shoulders. Then, I briefly whispered the scripture to James regarding the yoke that Jesus wants us to carry, and how it is meant to be light...not a heavy burden. It's light, because He helps us carry it, or even carries it for us.

Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
Matthew 11:28-30


James is smiling in the picture, but don't let his wide, toothy grin deceive you. That yoke was heavy, and he sighed with relief when I lifted it. As we walked along, and in the days ahead, I reflected on the simple truth of the scripture. It often happens when we mothers are "teaching" principles of wisdom and truth to our children that we are also the students, as God whispers His truth to our own hearts.

I can't say for certain, but I could probably speculate that a good number of you will be able to relate to what I'm about to share about the carrying of burdens. The yoke represents all the things we try to carry on our shoulders: brokenness we try to fix on our own, our sin, our hurts, disappointments, regret, responsibility for those we love, expectations that will never be reached - both those unmet by others and those we fail to meet, grief, pain, failures, illness...every burden of this life. When we carry it alone on our shoulders, it weighs heavily on our back, stealing our energy, wearing down our resolve. Our shoulders slump under its weight and every step is cumbersome. Our heads hang in broken despair.

Then, One who loves us comes alongside and lifts the heavy yoke from our weary shoulders. Relief washes over us as we look up into the eyes of our Rescuer. He walks beside us, carrying the weight of the burdens that we created, the very buckets we filled with all of our "stuff". His yoke is easy, His burden is light. This is the yoke He means for us to carry...the one with Him doing the lifting while we find rest for our tired souls.

He never meant for us to carry all of the things we heap into our buckets and try to carry on our backs. The only part we are responsible for is the moment when we are asked to release the yoke. Sometimes, He comes alongside us to lift the weight of our burden, and we hold on tightly...thinking we must continue to carry all of this heavy weight. I have been guilty of this stubbornness, and He has reminded me time and time again to release the yoke that is not mine to carry. Sometimes I only listen when it gets so heavy that I begin to stumble under the weight. What freedom awaits for the day I learn to let go sooner, or better yet, never pick up my heavy-laden yoke at all.

-------------

Speaking of carrying yokes...please take some time this week to show some love to and pray for our double feature...Crystal and Hannah...on this week's Walking With You blog.

6 comments:

Jenilee said...

what a wonderful picture and verses to go with it. enjoyed this post!

Caroline said...

What a wonderful post and I so needed this today. It has been a rough weekend.

{{HUGS}}
Caroline

Holly said...

Where do you come up with such good posts? I'm feeling very uninspired lately in the blog post area and haven't really wrote anything real inspiring in a long time!!

I think it's easy to forget that Jesus doesn't want us to carry our burdens alone. I know I forget many times that I can just turn to Him for everything.

Lori said...

These words were beautiful.

Honestly...as I read, I pictured Jesus smiling at them and saying, "Yes!"

xoxoxo

Lori said...

PS--by 'them', I meant the words I was reading. I realize that was not very grammatically clear!!

Jennifer Ross said...

Look at how long it took me to read this post, and yet this was the night God had planned for my eyes to read. I love how He places everything in order for my life.... even your post out in the blog world. lol

I want to have a smile on my face as I carry my yoke too.