Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Tonight...

I'm working on this week's Walking With You post. And, I just have to be honest. Tonight, through a throbbing sinus headache and bleary eyes, I don't feel like talking about the hard things. I don't feel like searching for answers. I don't feel like remembering.

Tonight, a sweet baby girl named Ella is on my mind. A sweet baby girl, whose mother I am honored to call my friend...a sweet baby girl who lived nine minutes on this earth after her birth, before joining her sister in heaven. My heart is with her and her husband as they grieve tonight. I longed to go to them myself today, but due to work, responsibilities at home, and schedule conflicts, I wasn't able to accompany my friend, Dawn (NILMDTS photographer), to meet sweet Ella. I'm struggling with the fact that I couldn't be there today, and heavy with thoughts of their sorrow.

When I think of the raw, fresh pain of grief as I am tonight, it seems there are no words of comfort. I'll be honest, I wonder if anything we're doing even comes close to offering a drop of comfort in the bottomless pit of sorrow left in a grieving parent's heart. It all seems so small in the face of that kind of sorrow...a bear, a memory book, some pictures, some mementos.

The truth is that nothing can fix that brokenness, nothing can ease that pain, nothing can make it better. Nothing on this earth, anyway. Nothing, except time spent in the loving arms of our heavenly Father. I know that. No words I say, no small offerings we give. None of it can bring a mother's baby back to her aching arms.

And, even as I know that...I also know (at least I hope) that those little things tell a mother that her child was here, that someone understands, that her dreams for her baby matter, her child matters, he or she has value. The pictures taken by those amazing NILMDTS photographers are priceless, beautiful gifts for a mother who has to fit a lifetime of love and memories in mere moments. They provide a tangible memory honoring a precious life.

I'm going to keep holding on to that to ease the questions swirling in my mind...questions about why we do what we do...and if it brings any comfort. Questions that are making it hard for me to find the words to encourage tonight. I will put up the Walking With You post soon. This week we're talking about "Getting Better and Busyness". (UPDATE: Post is up.)Please check the Walking With You page...but I'm not making any promises of eloquence or grand revelations this evening. Just the bare minimum. I am spending some time in my heavenly Father's arms tonight, hurting with my friend...and praying.

9 comments:

Kristin said...

I'm so sorry about your friend, Kelly. Just be sure to recognize the enemy's lies and listen to the truth....nothing you do out of love is meaningless. It does matter and what you do is a beautiful ministry.

vera said...

Praying for your friend, and for you too. You absolutely make a HUGE difference!!

Amy said...

I didn't know about any of these ministries when I lost Levi. After I delivered him, my L&D nurse asked if I wanted NILMDTS photographs. I didn't know. My family said yes for me. I absolutely cherish those photos. I'm afraid I would have forgotten what he looks like, and it hasn't even been a full year yet, if it wasn't for those photos. No, the ministries don't take the pain away, but they do help in the healing process. I will forever have the face of my baby.

Cecilia said...

They do help, and you are making a difference. Praying for peace and comfort for you and Ella's family.

Unknown said...

Kelly, I am so sorry for your friend. Praying for you and her family.

Jennifer Ross said...

All I could do was shake my head while reading your post. I love what you do, and I hope that you don't ever feel like it isn't enough. When the parent is ready, having something to "hold onto," is critical. You help fulfill that need, and I pray that God continues to allow you to bless the lives of grieving families.

You're doing a great job Kelly. I hope that you feel better real soon!!

Kami said...

Oh Kelly, I am praying for you. I understand completely the way you're feeling. Wanting to help, yet knowing that no amount of help you can offer will ever truly fix the brokenness. Your ministry definitely matters and it is something that touches so many families in a way that probably isn't even understood to them until years later. My prayer is that God will give you His peace that transcends all understanding. That He will wrap His loving arms around your friend and that His name will be glorified through this tragedy.

Praying for you, dear friend!

Unknown said...

I left a little gift for you on my blog. www.missingjuanito.blogspot.com

Holly said...

I'm so sorry for your friend and my heart hurts for them. Praying for them through the difficult time.

I know I am behind on my bible study but I plan on catching up this week.