Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Because Everyone Loves an Irish Girl...At Least That's What My Kelly Green Shirt Says!

In case you think I'm always serious...



You see, sometimes I'm kind of fun, crazy, and off-the-wall! Even the second graders I work with were "talking about" my outfit on St. Patrick's Day! (Except for a certain second grade friend of mine who happens to lovvvve green! He said, "OHHH Mrs. Gerken, you are wearing my favorite dark green, and all the colors of green!!" with a big grin that made all the other snickers worth it!) And, my kids said, "Wow, Mom!"...shaking their heads.

It made me smile, remembering when I was young and so caught up in what everyone else thought. To some degree, I still do care about a few things. But, definitely not whether I dress crazy on St. Paddy's day!

It reminds me of something my Irish father once said:

"With every decade you will concern yourself less with things...you will not get stressed out over every little thing. The things that bother you in your twenties, won't when you're thirty...and so on."

It sounds like every decade brings a little more freedom from the things that we hold on to, and the things that hold on to us, keeping us from fully being the person we were intended to be. And I think as I walk with the Lord, I am more O.K. with the person He has created me to be...with each passing year.

6 comments:

Kristin said...

You look adorable in your green :) I guess that is true, the older we get, the less things bother us. There should be some good things that come from getting older, right?! Ha!

Caroline said...

You look great !!! You know it is very true what I used to let bother me , it doesn't even matter now.
Caroline

Jenilee said...

you look so cute! What a great picture and a great memory for you, your kids and your students!

Holly said...

I think you look great in all your green. :)

I think your dad is right!

Jennifer Ross said...

That's great! Wow! I won't even go get my mail unless I have make-up on. lol Maybe when I'm in my thirties I won't care. heheheh

The words from your father are wise indeed. I do agree. As time goes by, I care a little less than I did a few years prior.

Cherie said...

I LOVE your outfit and SO applaud what you've written. It's so GOOD to dare to be ourselves! Sometimes we all need to be reminded just how important that is and to take a look our life and ask ourselves that question.