Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Friday, January 22, 2010

Peeling, Pouring Out, and Embracing...

Well, the layers are peeling back and what lies beneath isn't pretty. The treadmill and I have had to take a little break the past couple days. Somewhere during the fat jiggling, sweat dripping, face grimacing agony, the honeymoon ended. I started thinking of the song, "(I Hate) Everything About You" sung by Ugly Kid Joe in the early nineties...wondering how I could change the lyrics to express my feelings for the evil treadmill.

It really got ugly when I noticed the leftover bagels and cake in the lounge from teacher work day. On day 2 of the taunting bagels, I exploded, "For the ever-lovin' Pete, could someone please get rid of these bagels! I can't take it anymore!" (You know it's bad when I use such strong language as "Pete"...and it's downright serious when there's an "ever-lovin'" thrown in!) I told you, it wasn't pretty. You see, I love my food...I miss my food...and I'm hungry. I know I talked about leaning on the Lord, but a few times this week, I resembled an addict experiencing withdrawal as I went from weepy to slightly violent to weepy again! Granted, the only harm I wished on anyone was directed at the treadmill and some tasty-looking bagels, but still...not attractive godly behavior.

God is always faithful, though. He never leaves us in our ugliness, unless of course we want to stay there. Then, He always obliges. And, no one can convince me God doesn't have a sense of humor. He has an uncanny ability to meet us where we are, and I love how He does it. While doing devotions with James, we were studying John 6 where Jesus talks about being the "bread of life"...and he who comes to Him will never hunger or thirst. Oh...He is good. And He most certainly knows the way to my hungry heart. He knew that if He talked about bread, He'd get my attention. Oh yeah...I'm listening Lord.

The other interesting thing going on here, is that when you take away my food, or whatever it is I'm using to hide behind instead of dealing, I become aware of all these feelings. Emotions and things I've been avoiding start welling up and pouring out. I'm always surprised by all of that. It makes me realize that there are things I'm still holding on to, hidden hurts that haven't been allowed to fully heal...things I've numbed instead of facing...things that have been buried under layers. What a crazy process this is. You'd think it would be simple just to put down the Doritos. Who knew there was so much attached?

It's really a good thing, though. Because as it all pours out on to my Father's lap, He is able to comfort and heal the hurts. It may look ugly right now as I sort through the feelings, but in reality, it's the path to freedom. Yes...there is a part of me, now that it's really getting hard, that wants to just crawl back under the layers (with my Doritos), where it is comfortable. But, I won't. I'm pressing on.

Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
~ Philippians 3:12-14


(FYI: In the spirit of pressing on, my nemesis -a.k.a. The Treadmill- and I called a truce this afternoon and I did my afternoon workout.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One more thing, I want to share that God has laid on my heart this week...the issue of embracing and cherishing the gift of life. Many of you know first hand how precious the gift of life is. One of our missions at Sufficient Grace Ministries is to encourage others to value, embrace, protect, and treasure life in any form no matter how brief. Sometimes I wish that I would have done more embracing and less just surviving of the time I was given with my sweet babies. I cherished their lives in the best way I knew how at the time, and I viewed them as precious gifts. I suppose my regrets over not doing some of the amazing things I see you all doing as you embrace your time with your little ones (photographs and memory-making especially) may have something to do with my desire to spend the rest of my life embracing the gifts we were given in the lives of our Faith, Grace, and Thomas.

We are all given the precious gift of life, and we have a choice today whether just to merely survive or to fully embrace the life we've been given. God is whispering to my heart to do a little more embracing. And, I plan to do just that.

10 comments:

Angela said...

I am in a blah mood, but I did want to say thank you for all you do and those of us you inspire.

I am so with you on peeling back the layers and it is so hard.

I will be adding youe button to my blog too

Dana said...

Your words are such an encouragement to me and so many others!

Thank you.

Cecilia said...

I have been seeing the emotions that food was covering too. I'm trying to 'become friends' with exercise again, but it's definitely a battle sometimes. Hard to believe how much I used to relish time in the gym =). Thanks for being real!

Shannon said...

I tried to leave a comment, but for some reason Blogspot ate it. So I'm trying again. If you receive two comments from me that are nearly identical, delete this one. ;-)

That's what I hate about diets. I love my starches and carbs too much to give them up. Giving up the Pasta is NOT going to happen (I often swear to my parents that we MUST have some Italian in our family lineage).

I have been trying to embrace life more, too. Sometimes it gets difficult, especially when other Glory Mamas announce their newest pregnancies, knowing that for some reason God decided a life on this earth is no life at all for my baby. Even though I want so very much to have one (or 10) more.

So I'm not only trying to embrace life in THIS life, but embrace the knowledge of a perfect life for eternity.

Linda said...

You are an overcomer...and an encourager...and a very sweet person. I love your heart and how kind you are to people.

I pray you will have success in all your efforts,...by the strength, and power, and grace of God!

Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

Gottjoy! said...

beautiful words, beautiful heart....

My sweet prayer partner just gave me a book just released by Nancy Leigh Demoss: Choosing Gratitude. It has touched my soul and this post on embracing life is nestling right there with it...in my soul, my heart...

Hugs to you as you continue to peel back the layers.

Unknown said...

Thanks for being honest, and true. It's nice to know I am not the only one with food struggles! Thanks for the encouragement to embrace life!

Kristin said...

The treadmill has been calling my name lately, but I have yet to step on.......I'm sure I will be having the same experience once I do!

Holly said...

Things will get tough Kelly but keep it up! You will persevere!

Anonymous said...

Kelly, thank for this post and being so open with us. Glad you made the truce with your treadmill - I'm sure you'll get to be good friends, too.

The part your wrote about God never leaving us in our ugliness, unless we want to stay there. That really spoke to me - and the parts about wanting to just hide behind/with/eating the Doritos....

I think I'm there. And that's not a place I want to be. I don't want to wallow in this ugliness, in this lack of motivation and jealousy at what others have or what I perceive them to have... I don't want to want to stay in bed all day and not take care of myself or my husband in the ways I should be.