Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Sixteen

Sixteen years ago, I was just one year out of high school...Tim still had one year to go...



Sixteen years ago on this bitterly cold January night, we bounced along in my mother's blue minivan, on ice and snow covered roads. Mom drove frantically, as I moaned and breathed through each contraction. A nervous eighteen-year-old, Tim tried to remain strong in the backseat. He may have leaned up to talk to me every once in awhile, to whisper words of encouragement. He may have held my hand. He probably did. But, I don't remember. I just remember the snow and ice, the anxious excitement, that look in my mother's eyes...that fierce I-will-meet-the-challenge-brave-the-icy-roads-protect-my-daughter-determined-mother-look.

We were so young...

I had been contracting regularly for some time, and by the time we went to the hospital, the contractions were about five minutes apart. They were getting stronger. I breathed through them for hours as my labor progressed at an agonizing snail's pace. More than twenty-four hours of contractions, (finally) an epidural, and a complicated delivery later, on January 20th, our Timothy was born. I became a mama. And, Tim became a dad.



In one, amazing, miraculous, life-changing moment...we were parents. Oh, the gift this boy has been to our lives. We thank God for all the ways his life has blessed ours. What we have learned about love, grace, life, loss, and family as we have walked through this life and grown-up together, in many ways. He is more man than boy now, as he prepares to get his driver's license and sasses me with his man voice or rolls his eyes to exert his independence. But, when I look at him, I sometimes still see my sweet four-year-old boy, still hear his deep belly giggles, still feel his hand in mine.




Sometimes, I miss my boy...but, even though we don't always see eye-to-eye, I am also thankful for the young man he is growing to be...


Sixteen years ago, I received an amazing miraculous gift...I became a mom!




Happy Sixteenth Birthday, Tim!

15 comments:

Jennifer Ross said...

Happy Birthday, to a very handsome young man:)

Very nice post Kelly.

xx

Spud said...

Our babies grow up too fast! Happy Birthday, Timothy!

Jill said...

Happy birthday to Timothy! Beautiful post. : )

Kami said...

This is a beautiful post! Thanks for sharing the story :) Happy Birthday to Timothy!

Christmas with Kasey said...

Happy Birthday to a very handsome son!

Nicolle

Unknown said...

How sweet!! I am sure you and your hubby were both scared out of your minds! Happy Birthday to your little boy!!

Holly said...

Happy Birthday Timothy! No doubt a beautiful day in your lives those years ago!

Caroline said...

Happy Birthday Timothy !! Hoping your day is special. :)
Caroline

Tammy On the Go said...

sniff, sniff....that was good

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post. Happy Birthday

Anchored By Hope said...

Holy smokes Kelly, this totally made me cry. :O) How sweet.

Joyeful said...

What a wonderful tribute to your son! Filled with so much honesty and truth! I love the way you write, Kelly!

Carol said...

I love these posts. I can feel the love you have for your son! Happy Birthday!!!

Kristin said...

What a sweet post, Kelly! Hope he had a great birthday!

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Timothy! Your son is growing up to be a very handsome young man :)