Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Friday, November 27, 2009

Becoming One And...Being Full

A long time ago when our marriage was still new, I wrote an article about "Becoming One". Someday when I have a little more time, I will dig it out and reprint it, because I'm sure it was written with more thought and effort than I have to give tonight. But, for now, I'd like to do a little reflecting on the idea of two people becoming one in marriage. The original article conveyed the message that it takes time for two people from different families, backgrounds, values/belief systems, etc. to become one. It is not something that happens the moment two people say "I do". Rather, it is a process that is so amazing and beautiful, it is almost like magic. Only, it isn't magic at all. It is a work of the Holy Spirit...a beautiful evidence of the hand of God. It really is one of my favorite things to watch...the shaping and molding of two people into one. God is able to teach us (if we are teachable) so many things through marriage...He is willing to gift us with unspeakable joys and grow us in ways we never could grow on our own. I will share more on this later...but for now, let me just share a little story with you that goes along with the idea of becoming one, quite nicely, in my humble opinion.

When Tim and I were married less than a year, I opened the door to my refrigerator one morning and what to my wondering eyes did appear...but a headless, skinless squirrel soaking, uncovered in a bowl of salt water. In my refrigerator. Along with the food. That I eat. And, I am a town girl in every sense of the word. In my house, squirrels were rodents, NOT dinner! Well, needless to say, the screams could be heard for miles! I just stood there, screaming...wondering what was the matter with this person I married! Oh my word...

Fast forward fifteen and a half years...to Thanksgiving Eve, 2009



My kitchen was turned into a butcher shop, and I spent Thanksgiving Eve 2009 with my hands in a tub of freshly ground venison, helping Tim package the meat that he literally provided for our family with his own hands. The bountiful reward from a successful hunt. I wasn't screaming. In fact, I was happily working alongside him to get the job done, grateful that he was willing to provide for our family so faithfully and a little proud of him.(I'm almost like Pioneer Woman- O.K., maybe not!) It feels good to be working together with one heart and one mind, as God intended...not that we always do, but we certainly have come a long way from those early years.

And when I think of all the places we have walked together...and all the shaping and molding, breaking and rebuilding that God has done to get us here, my heart is full of thanks...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanksgiving is all about focusing on our "fullness". And, I don't just mean the fullness of our bellies (which definitely applies at the Gerken household!). It's about being full...about recognizing all the ways we are filled by the faithfulness of our loving God. It is about looking back and remembering what He has done for us...and it is about looking around at all we have been given right now. It is about being thankful...for all the ways He provides, for the storms He carries us through, for the memories filling our minds, and the love held in our hearts, for the laughter and joy, for the tears He keeps in a bottle, and for the future He promises will be filled with hope and good plans for us.

What abundance we enjoy...a bounty of blessings...

I am thankful for...

our little house...

the rowdy boy sounds that fill aforementioned little house...

the tired, dirty-from-a-hard-day's-work man that will soon walk in the back door after wrestling the stinky dogs that live in the garage and faithfully guard our little house...

the dreams we dream for those who dance in heaven, the dreams that fill this little house...

the God who is served by those who live, love, and dream in this little house.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

What a wonderful post. I would totally scream so loud about the squirrel!! Good grief! Such great things to be thankful for :)

Tammy On the Go said...

hey friend
I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving...you are loved.
Tammy

Wylie @ Shout A Joyful Noise! said...

The squirrel would have SO upset me!!! So blessed to have found your blog tonight & I look forward to coming back!
Joyfully,
Wylie

Holly said...

Oh Kelly, you sure gave me a hearty laugh with that squirrel story. hahahaha

I hope you had a wonderful thanksgiving.

Stacey said...

Thanks for linking up with Lazy Wed Walk! Happy Thanksgiving!

The Lazy Mom
www.imalazymom.com

Linda said...

Kelly
Oh my word! I would have died...right there as I looked in the fridge and saw that headless squirrel! (:>)

I liked your view on working alongside your man...and what it means to become one.

But you won't find me doing any of that stuff! Tee hee

Jenilee said...

lol wild game in the kitchen! been there!! :) thanks for linking up this post. :)