Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The One Who Knows The Heart

For more information about Tuesdays Together in The Word or to join us on the journey, please visit DeeDee's blog.

So God, who knows the heart, acknowledged them by giving them the Holy Spirit, just as He did to us, and made no distinction between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith. ~ Acts 15:8-9

This verse reminds me of another verse when God chose an unlikely shepherd boy to be a king over His people. As Samuel was sent to anoint God's chosen one, he was surprised when the older brothers of David were passed over and God said to him, `"Do not look at his appearance or at his physical stature, because I have refused him. For the Lord does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." ~ I Samuel 16:7

The Lord looks at the heart. He is not concerned with our status, our physical appearance, our position, our title. He is not concerned with our race, our nationality, whether we are Jewish or Gentile. He looks at our hearts. He sees us, knows us, every inch of our thoughts and dreams, our weaknesses, our brokenness, our gifts, our desires, our longings, our sorrows, our regrets, our victories, our failures. He sees it all. He is interested in a heart that's been purified by faith in Jesus...not anything else that this world will tell you makes you worthy of love, value, and acceptance. He just wants a heart that says, "I am willing to trust you. I believe you. I will follow you."

Back to Acts 15:8-9...The "God who knows the heart" then "acknowledges them by giving them the Holy Spirit". The Holy Spirit is talked about throughout Acts and we see the important role of the Holy Spirit in our lives emphasized many times throughout the New Testament from the time it was first received by the church in the beginning of Acts.

...they were forbidden by the Holy Spirit to preach the word in Asia. ~ Acts 16:6b

When these things were accomplished, Paul purposed in the Spirit, when he had passed through Macedonia and Achaia, to go to Jerusalem... ~ Acts:21a

For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things. ~ Acts:15:28

How did they know what the Holy Spirit was saying to them? How could they be certain that it was a message from the Lord? Two things: prayer and God's Word. Acts 12:5 ~ Peter was therefore in prison, but constant prayer was offered to God for him by the church. And what happened? But the word of God grew and multiplied. ~Acts 12:24 And, as they continued in prayer, seeking the Holy Spirit for guidance, and studying and preaching the word of God...what happened? So the churches were strengthened in the faith, and increased in number daily. ~ Acts 16:5 And again...what was happening as these men remained faithful to following His call? So the word of the Lord grew mightily and prevailed. ~ Acts 19:20

As a mom, sometimes I wonder if anything I do is really making a difference. Will my children choose to follow the Lord? Will the seeds we've planted take root or will they be swept away by the cares of this world? As a friend, I wonder if I show the love of Jesus to those around me? Is my light shining, or is it hidden beneath the pile of my weaknesses? As a wife, do I help my husband be the best he can be or am I a hindrance to his walk? As a servant in ministry, is my heart right? Could I do more, give more, pray more?

Sometimes, like Paul, I feel locked in a prison of my own making...kept from moving forward to complete freedom...kept from being all I can be. I want to shake loose from the chains, see the walls of my prison broken down. I want to be free to follow Him with all of my heart. I smile at the image of Paul and Silas in prison, "praying and singing hymns to God, and the prisoners were listening to them." They were singing praise to God, while they were still in the prison. They were not free from circumstances. Yet, they were free...even while they were bound. The circumstances held no power over them.

God sends the earthquake. The walls from the prison come tumbling down. The guards see and are afraid. One says, "Sirs what must I do to be saved?" So they said, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household." Acts 19:30-31They tell the prison guard about Jesus and go have a celebratory dinner with the guard and his newly saved family! (See Acts 16:25-40)

This simple "formula" from the early church encourages me to persevere. Through prayer, relying on the Holy Spirit, and the word of God...His work will be accomplished. We can keep on keeping on in obedience to His calling. Like Paul and Silas, we don't have to wait for perfect circumstances to praise our God...to walk as one who is complete and free as we sing and tell of His glory. Right where we are, we can praise the One who knows our hearts, and He will lead us to freedom. He will knock down our prison walls in His time. Until then, He will comfort and guide us with His Holy Spirit, as we seek Him through prayer, and study His perfect word.

13 comments:

Linda said...

Amen SISTA! What a powerful post! I'm touched, very touched...that is so true, so humbling and such a eye opener for me!

Linda said...

The Holy Spirit is such an important person in the Trinity. When I truly KNEW that I was saved,... I started feeling the conviction of the Holy Spirit in my heart when I would sin. He would gently remind me of the sin,... and I would be convicted and repent, and then I would ask God to forgive me and then I would feel peace. (I John 1:9)

I had never felt that conviction before when I was "claiming" to be a Christian but didn't have any evidence of His fruit in my life. This was because I had head knowledge , but hadn't truly surrendered my life to Him.

After my true conversion to Christ I felt free from my prison as you said,...and I had such joy. I was not suddenly perfect,...but I knew God was doing a work in me.

His Spirit was now bearing witness with my spirit that I was a son of God. (daughter) And also the Holy Spirit was now doing His job as Comforter in my life,...which to me was further evidence that I was truly saved.

I lost a 20 year old niece around that time, and also her 22 yr. old husband who were killed in a car accident, and God the Father knew I had truly placed my faith in God the Son, and He comforted me so greatly through God the Holy Spirit. The Trinity is such a great mystery but a great truth.

Acts is a great book. Thank you for sharing these truths this morning. If I joined in Tuesdays time in the word can I comment on any portion of Scripture that I am studying?

Blessings on your new grandbaby! How exciting!

Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

June said...

I have often wondered how I would handle being in jail for the gospel's sake. The early Christians were tried in so many ways, I think this is why the church meet in the home.

I would like to tag along with Paul on his missionary journeys. The power of God was powerful in his life.

Is the power of God powerful in our life??? I want it to be in mine.

June

Jennifer Ross said...

What a nice post. I also wonder if I am doing everything that I am supposed to be doing when it comes to my husband, children, church family, friends, etc. It is a huge responsibility and I sure don't want to mess it up. Thank you for the encouraging words!

Tricia said...

How truly powerful is prayer, the Word, and the indwelling of His precious Holy Spirit! All 3 have powerfully changed my life... and how true it is that we do not have to wait for the perfect circumstances to begin praising Him, we need to do that now, right where we are, and He will be glorified and our chains will fall to our feet!

What a wonderful, powerful God we serve!

Blessings!

Blog is no more said...

I also wonder if I am doing all I can to be a good witness for my family and friends.
God does look at the heart, thank goodness! Some of the best hearts live in broken bodies!
Great post.

Tammy On the Go said...

Hey kelly,
We got Joshi's diagnosis, it is stage 4 Liver Cancer. Please pray for him. I have a note from his mom posted on my blog. She is putting all her hope in Christ. And so are we.
Love,
Tammy

Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

In case anyone is wondering...it is DeeDee who is welcoming a new grandbaby, today. We are not ready for grandbabies yet at our house! Still training up my boys and motherhood is enough...we all need to grow before grandmotherhood begins!

Linda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda said...

OOPS! Kelly, I am reading too many blogs I guess,...(:>) I will congratulate Dee Dee on becoming a grandma,...and not you... Sorry!
Linda~
P.S.
When I was 40 I became a grandma and have been enjoying grandparenting for 18 years now. But my age is showing I guess cuz I'm not as sharp as I used to be,...tee hee

Laurie Ann said...

Very powerful post! I love the truths, inspiration and encouragement shared here, Kelly. I am loving reading His Word so much!

Veronica @ Luv My Quiver Full Of Arrows said...

Father,

Thank you for using my Sister, Kelly, in such a mighty way in this post. What a blessing she is, Lord. Will you keep her safe and remind her every minute how much you value her, how the seeds she is planting in others are done for your glory? In Jesus' holy name, Amen.

Amazing post!!
xoxo, Veronica in CA

Meredith said...

A Formula for success indeed!! I especially like this part:
"Like Paul and Silas, we don't have to wait for perfect circumstances to praise our God...to walk as one who is complete and free as we sing and tell of His glory."

Sing it!! and may the power of the Holy Spirit encourage me to persevere as well!! Thank you!