Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

O Lord, My Strength...

For more information about Tuesdays Together in The Word or to join us on the journey, please visit DeeDee's blog.

I love you, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I call to the Lord, who is worthy of praise, and I am saved from my enemies.
The cords of death entangled me; the torrents of destruction overwhelmed me. The cords of the grave coiled around me; the snares of death confronted me. In my distress I called to the Lord; I cried to my God for help. From His temple he heard my voice; my cry came before Him into His ears.
~Psalm 18:1-6


We live in a place where babies die...where cancer causes suffering and slowly takes the life from one we love...where people can't always be trusted...where marriages fail...where hearts are broken...where lives are destroyed by addiction...where the cords of death can entangle. We live in a fallen world with sorrow and pain and grief. Sometimes, I feel overwhelmed by the torrents of destruction. Some days the cords of death entangle me. Since my first taste of death's sting when we said good-bye to our Faith and Grace, I have been awakened to the sorrow that lives in the valley of the shadow of death. Not only in my own life, but in the lives of others. There are so many grieving hearts in need of comfort. Death will not only touch all of our lives as we will inevitably say good-bye to those we love, but touches those around us who grieve and need someone willing to walk with them in their pain. Some days it's overwhelming to look upon the sorrow of so many grieving hearts.

And then, I remember, my God who is able...the One who hears my cry...

He reached down from on high and took hold of me; He drew me out of deep waters...(Psalm 18:16)
You, O Lord, keep my lamp burning; my God turns my darkness into light. With your help I can advance against a troop, with my God I can scale a wall. As for God, His way is perfect; the word of the Lord is flawless. He is a shield for all who take refuge in Him. For who is God besides the Lord? And who is the Rock except our God? It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect. He makes my feet like the feet of a deer; he enables me to stand on the heights. He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze. You give me your shield of victory, and Your right hand sustains me; You stoop down to make me great. You broaden my path beneath me, so that my ankles do not turn. ~ Psalm 18:30-36


How many times my Jesus has reached down from on high and taken hold of me...drawing me out of deep water...waters that I thought I would drown in. How many times He has kept my lamp burning, turning my darkness into light. My daily existence is evidence of His ability to turn darkness into light. How many times He has sustained me with His right hand. Until the hope of heaven is fulfilled, He will sustain me.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We started the books of Acts in this week's reading, and I am amazed and encouraged by the zeal of Peter, John, Stephen and others who relentlessly shared the gospel every chance they were given...in prison, during stonings, under duress. They proclaimed the power of Jesus, the gift of salvation for all who call upon the name of the Lord.
Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved. When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus. ~ Acts 4: 12-13

I love this! It was evident that they were "unschooled, ordinary men" and that's how they determined that they had truly been with Jesus. Jesus was reflected even more through their weaknesses. The name of Jesus holds the power of salvation for those who call on Him. Their words, their courage, their boldness didn't come from man or the wisdom of man...but from God. Through the Holy Spirit they were filled with wisdom and courage.

Later in chapter 4, when they had been threatened over and over to stop telling people about Jesus, they prayed instead for more boldness...Lord, consider their threats and enable Your servants to speak Your word with great boldness. (Acts 4:29) And, after they were flogged for telling others about Jesus...for obeying God rather than men... The apostles left the Sanhedrin, rejoicing because they had been counted worthy of suffering disgrace for the Name. Day after day, in the temple courts and from house to house, they never stopped teaching and proclaiming the good news that Jesus is the Christ. ~ Acts 5:41-42 They actually rejoiced that they were flogged for following their Savior. And they never stopped proclaiming the good news of Jesus to everyone they encountered.

Wow...amazing...

Oh, Lord...strengthen my faith. Give me a heart that is willing to serve you with boldness. Strengthen me to take up my cross daily...remembering those who have gone before me...remembering my God who is able to equip me for every good work.

5 comments:

Laurie Ann said...

Beautiful, beautiful post, Kelly. I loved it. Especially this:
My daily existence is evidence of His ability to turn darkness into light. How many times He has sustained me with His right hand. Until the hope of heaven is fulfilled, He will sustain me.

Amen!

Thank you for sharing your heart with us. I'm enjoying this journey through God's Word!

Tammy On the Go said...

This spoke to me today...

Blog is no more said...

Yes, I agree, Oh, Lord strengthen my faith! What a beautiful post today.

Tricia said...

Kelly
This is a wonderful post, I have savored every word! God's Word is so good, and I just love reading what everyone else is gleaning from our readings...

Your faith and love for the Lord are very evident in your writings, thank you for sharing from your heart with us... you have blessed my weary heart today!

Blessings!

DeeDee said...

oh such a beautiful post, Kelly - I am sorry that I was not able to reply back last week... it was just one of those weeks.

And you asked if I was ok?... the newest prayer request is for my Mom. - A bad mamogram - now a needle biopsy.. next week either a lumpectomy (sp?) or another biopsy..
I need a good cry - but just simply have not had time. Because I know once it starts - it may take a while to turn off LOL.

You are a blessing!
Thanks so much!