Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Saturday, February 7, 2009

The Man Voice

It must have been happening gradually for awhile, but it really hit me one morning. I was getting ready for work, stumbling around all bleary-eyed, trying to shake the "I Don't Wannas" and face the day. Tim had just said good-bye and left for work. I heard his truck rumble off down the road. I was walking down the hall in my morning daze when I heard a man's voice from the darkness of the bathroom. I jumped, obviously startled that I would hear a man's voice in my house after my husband had left. I looked up to see that the voice had come from my son. My son, who stood scratching his big afro-like curly hair that he refuses to get cut (much to his father's chagrin), asking me where all the towels were.

The man voice is a topic of discussion often among my circle of friends. We'll be talking on the phone and say, "Oh...do you need to hang up now, I heard the man voice." (Translated: Your husband's home...we better not be sitting around talking on the phone!) Or, more recently, as my friend Lynette's boys reached high school, I would notice the man voice in each of them when they answered the phone. I kept thinking each one was her husband, and now I have given up guessing. I teased her that all of her boys were getting the man voice and I never knew who I was talking to. Now, when my friends call me, they don't know where the man voice is coming from. Was that your husband or your son?

Six months ago, he was not as tall as me. Now, I look up to see where the man voice is coming from when he speaks. Six months from now, he'll be driving a car. You know that commercial were the little girl is asking her dad if she can go somewhere with her friends and if she can have the car. She's about five and so cute. Then, it flashes to the dad handing her the keys, and she's really a teenager. But, the whole time they were talking, he saw her as his little five-year-old girl. That's how I feel. When I look at him, I still see my little boy. And I'm not sure at what point in this crazy journey, I will see him as a young man. Will he always look like my little four-year-old boy who used to like to snuggle me and watch Old Yeller, instead of flinching when I reach out to touch him? Will I always see him reading his little insect book over his round little glasses, instead of struggling through Spanish homework, and refusing to let me help him?

In my mind, I'm still young, and so is he. But, time marches on...and I am no longer the mother of littles. My little boys are getting big. And, I am shocked. I have said it before, and I'll say it again...no one tells a mother this revelation when she is holding her sweet baby. No one tells you this when you still have a little hand to hold as you cross the street. No one tells you this while you look down to answer the tiny voice saying, "Mommy...". No one tells you that someday, you will not be able to comfort your little one so easily. He will not fit in your arms, and he may not want the comfort of your arms. Someday, you will look up to respond to a man voice calling you "Mom". And you will stand in awe, wondering how and when this happened. Maybe you won't...maybe you'll be expecting it. But I wasn't.

Just like I was amazed when he learned to walk and talk. Amazed when he played baseball, and could run and hit and pitch. Amazed when he learned to read and made friends. Amazed when he could swing a golf club with such grace, and quickly surpassed me and many of his peers in ability. I am amazed now, that he is becoming a man. The transition is a process that will take me some time. I have always been grateful that God gives us time for each transition in parenthood. We can grow through the stages of our children's development. Often, just when we get one stage figured out, it's time for a new one to begin. I am being dragged kicking and screaming into this phase. In fact, we've been here awhile and I still haven't accepted it. But, it's happening anyway.

I am so glad that throughout his young life, the Lord prompted me to teach him biblical truth as he faced various life lessons. There was an urgency especially from about ages 10-12 to cram as much in as possible. It needed to be said while he was still listening. Because now, he isn't listening much. There is so much letting go and tearing away. So much to trust the Lord with. Did I do enough? What kind of a man will he be? What kind of husband, father, Christian, provider will he be? Will he bring glory to God with his life? Have I been a good enough example? Have I failed in too many of the things that are important? Oh, the weight of responsibility. Oh, the realization that this child will not be mine forever...that he will go into the world his own person...that he will make his own choices...that he was never mine to begin with. Oh...

My son, do not forget my teaching,but keep my commands in your heart, for they will prolong your life many years and bring you prosperity. Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man. Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight. ~Proverbs 3:1-6

Make our paths straight, Lord...please direct his path and mine through this unknown place.

13 comments:

Jennifer Ross said...

I just got done playing the game Battleship with my oldest boy a little bit ago, and I noticed how big his hand is and how long his fingers are. I get so lost in the hustle and bustle of each day, I often overlook how little time we actually have with our children while they are still with us in our homes. I try to remind myself often that each day is a blessing and we are not promised a tomorrow. It won't be very long and I will have many "man" voices in my home. May we all walk through each day as if it were our last. To pass on to our children the greatest gift of all...... LOVE.

Tammy On the Go said...

only 2, but my girl is already so big. Does the time really go by that fast?

Sally-Ann said...

Time speeds along. I have to constantly remind myself to stop and smell the roses, to enjoy the time I have with my children, they grow so quickly and will be gone before I know it. My oldest will be leaving the nest at the end of July this year, I will miss him greatly, but it is time.

L said...

The tears started falling as I was reading your post. Mine are still quite little but I feel the passing years and want to bottle up each moment to save forever. Your words captured my heart.

Lilyofthevalley - Tanya said...

Thank you for sharing. I have five children and two of them are boys. They are 6 and 3, so right now they are very much little boys, but I know they are growing up. I'm treasuring the times now! My oldest is 10 and when I look at her I wonder where has the time gone!

Linda said...

Kelly,

As I read your post I could feel your heart. As a mother and grandmother I have often felt the same kinds of feelings.

You put your thoughts down so beautifully,...and they tugged at my heart as I remembered life with my three girls when they were growing up.

We can only do so much and then we have to let them grow up,...and eventually leave the nest. And just have to trust them to God's care.

Sometimes they fall, but God will help them up. Just keep praying for your children everyday. And enjoy the new parts you will play in their lives,...Mother-in-law to their spouse, and grandma to their children! Take it from me,...these are great times too!

I loved the verse at the end. God's word is so pertinent to each phase of our lives.

Thanks for sharing,
Linda

Kimberly Pitman said...

I'm going through the same stage with my son, my only son, and youngest child. He's almost 14 and he no longer looks to me for protection but acts protective of me all of a sudden.

What a blessing to watch a son grow into a godly man. One year in our homeschool I had him write all of the passages in Proverbs that begin "My son . . ." My son aspires to be a Marine. I want those verses to come to his mind wherever God and the military send him.

Mindy said...

I have two little boys as well. I tell myself that this time is fleeting, on a daily basis. Especially when we are having a hard time. I tell myself to enjoy each moment because they do not last forever and soon enough they will be all grown up and moving on, without me. (Although they always tell me that they want to live with me forever, or at least until they get married.LOL)

Thank you for sharing this. At the rate that my oldest is growing, I'll be hearing the man voice all too soon...

Paula said...

What a wonderful story...I remember when mine got their man voices

Unknown said...

Kelly,
Your motherly love shines through in this post. My oldest is 18 and is beginning to do all those 'man' things. He's still at home taking college courses but he's excited about his future career and talks about his move to Los Angeles...it's times like those that my momma's heart aches a little...but the most important thing is that he serves the Lord wherever he is and that is my prayer. As long as he's happy and spiritually fulfilled, I'll be happy. :)

It's difficult to watch our children grow - it's hard to think of them away from home, but God's grace is sufficient for everything and I trust it will be sufficient for that too. Right!?

Thanks for sharing today.
Love,
Lynnette

iris7531 said...

I have 3 boys, 10, 8, 6 and I too feel the same way. As a single mom, my oldest feels more responsible than he should. It pains me that he had to grow up a little faster than he should have. But unfortunately I can't do it all. I pray that when they look back on their childhood, they will know all that I did because I love them and that I to did enough to show them how to walk strongly with God.

Abigail Kraft said...

Beautifully put...your love for your son is so apparent in your words. I've always loved that scripture at the end of the post. Recently especially, it has been increasing in importance for me. I love the part that says "Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man." It places such huge importance on the instruction of Christ in our lives, and so often, in growing up years, we tend to ignore instruction and follow our own knowledge. I pray every day that God will clearly present to me the lessons that I need to learn and that He will give me a willing heart to soak in the wisdom that He has offered me.

Thanks for sharing!
In His arms,
--Abigail

Veronica @ Luv My Quiver Full Of Arrows said...

Kelly, today is my eldest son's 16th birthday. I have been meaning to check out your blog since you posted a comment on mine (thanks, btw) and I now realize why it waited until today. I feel your every word in your post, because it is exactly what I am going through, feeling, experiencing. I love the paragraph that begins: "In my mind I am still young..." It really touched home. It is nice to know that there is another mommy out there like me.

God bless you. I am really looking forward to checking out the rest of your blog.

xoxo, Veronica in CA