Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Senior Pictures...and Mama Confessions


This is my senior boy. I know you've been hearing a bit about our first born lately around these blog-parts, and I promise I will post about something else soon. But truthfully, I'm a bit consumed by this fleeting time.

My sweet friend Dawn Marshall took his senior pictures last month and she let us share one here. They turned out great, don't you think?

She also emailed me a copy of a pic she snapped before the one above. When Timothy took his guitar out of his case, it was a bit dusty. So, without skipping a beat, I did what mamas do. I dusted it off with the bottom of my skirt. Dawn, being a mama herself, was amused by the gesture. (Please ignore the fact that it was not my best side!)



Speaking of not my best side, I've been doing some thinking on the stuff we mamas do...the schedules we juggle, the guilt we carry, the things we forget, the things we'll never forget, the things we wish we could forget, and the things we want to remember forever, the things we mess up, and the moments when God's grace shines through and we breathe a satisfied sigh.I've been pondering the passing of time...the way everyone says that it will go so fast. 

They are so right.

I returned to my job as a paraprofessional at a local elementary school last week, and Timothy is in the thick of his very last high school golf season ever. SGM is busy and growing. Tim started his own business. And, James started middle school. I can feel the pull of my heart's desire to be the "keeper of my home" and the reality of the everyday demands of life. While I need to work, and enjoy my job working with special needs students, there are days when I would love to focus solely on the needs of my family...and bake some cookies. I've never felt like one of those people who could do it all. I try, but I mess it up.

I forget things, miss appointments, and constantly feel like I'm juggling and about to drop all the balls hanging in the air. A co-worker and fellow mama was sharing at lunch about  her child's homework, and forgetting something.

I looked up and said, "I don't know how other working mothers do it. Some seem to have it all together. I stink at it!"

And, I was thinking maybe I'm not the only mom who feels that way sometimes...whether we work outside of the home, or not. Maybe we all have moments when we feel like we are messing it all up. 

But, then, I look at my boy...almost all grown up. I remember the prayers I've prayed for his life...and the answers I've seen so far. I think about God's faithfulness, reflecting on all He has already done. Surely He isn't finished yet. His promises are the same for both my boys.

And, let me tell you...God hears the prayers of a mother.

I love that God is always big enough for everything that weighs on my mama-heart. I love that it's about His faithfulness...not my inability to get it right. It's about His strength...made perfect through my weakness. Always and without fail.

I'm so grateful...and now if you'll excuse me...I think I'll go bake some cookies.


8 comments:

Crystal Theresa said...

What a handsome young man you've raised :). I love the photo of you dusting off his guitar.

And, sometimes, I wonder, how I would even manage being a mommy to a living child when it's just two of us, and I can't keep our apartment clean. Sigh. But I know that's not why Calvin, Rainbow, and Gaelen died before they were born.

You are an inspiring momma, woman, and sister in faith!

Caroline said...

Such a great looking son. Wow a Sr. My Ridge will start Middle School next yr so hard to believe.

I know that rule of a busy Momma. I sometimes don't see how I get it all done. God helps us so much. You are a beautiful Momma. A very special friend to me.

Radiant Readhead said...

VERY nice!! amazing how many changes are happening in your life!! BUSY BUSY girl! You are truly inspiring. HUGS!

Linda said...

What a great picture of your handsome son! I totally agree with you that a mother's prayers are so important! (I cracked up at the picture of you dusting the guitar with your skirt!)

I think you have done,...and are doing,... a good job of mothering!

You love God,...you love your husband, and your family,...and you do things God's way!

Don't be hard on yourself Kelly,...just give everything to the Lord and continue on in faith sweetie!

You are precious in God's eyes...and in the eyes and hearts of your family. AND also in the hearts of your blog followers and to all those who have been touched by Sufficient Grace Ministries.

Love, Momma Linda

Kristin said...

What a great photo! And I love the one of you dusting his guitar....love that it captures what us Moms do, whatever it takes to get the job done for our kiddos :)

Time does go by so fast. I think whether you work or not, there's just never a shortage of Mom things to be done. We don't have to worry about what others do or how they do it.....God knew you were the PERFECT mom for your kids before the foundation of time! You're doing a great job, Kelly!

Jenilee said...

what an amazing picture! and you are so cute dusting it off for him. :) the things Moms do! and I do wish sometimes that I could focus solely on my home but that isn't life right now. one day maybe but for now, I'll keep enjoying my busy days.

Holly said...

I bet all of his pics turned out just as good as this one! :)

Gosh you are so right, Kelly! There's lots of times that I wish I could create more hours in a day to get everything done I need to do (or think I need to do). Thank goodness for post it notes to help remember!

Gottjoy! said...

Poignant thoughts. I am so glad God loves my children more than I do. And that I can't be their Holy Spirit (although sometimes...okay, a lot of times I try to be). I love how God fills in all those gaps...Although I don't want Him to just fill in, but to be in control.

And I love that picture of you with your son. A picture that says a thousand words!