Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Unlikely Blooms ~ Enduring Love



A couple weeks ago, Timothy and I spent the morning with my friend Dawn and her husband Steven, from Marshall Photography. We stood on the golf course as he swung with natural rhythm and posed every once in awhile. Later, we walked down alleys in the midst of midday downtown busyness...alleys with stories untold and chipped paint from years of standing silent. Tim played his guitar as Dawn's camera clicked away, and I stood in awe that my oldest son has grown into a man that can create such beauty as his fingers glide across guitar strings. I was glad he couldn't see my eyes filling with tears under my  big brown leopard-print sunglasses. 



But more on all that later. 

Right now, I wanted to talk about the picture at the top of this post. I snapped it when we were walking down one of the time-worn alleys. God often works in themes, as I've mentioned before. And the lovely white petunia sprouting up from the concrete-covered ground, against the brick building reminded me of one of those recent themes He has been revealing to my heart. 

The kind of love that suffers long and is kind. The kind of love that never fails. The dying to yourself, laying it all down kind of love. The kind of love that always hopes, always endures. The kind of love that is full of gentleness, yet strong and determined enough to push up through concrete and bloom, shining forth beauty and life where there was none.

I have spent some time at the bedside of those in the twilight hours of their earthly lives, watching the valley of the shadow of death pass over. And, there is one thing that is certain. 

All that matters in that moment, is the love we share. 

It isn't the running to and fro, the fretting over schedules and bills, the daily tasks of keeping order, the petty things that drive us crazy, the gray hairs and extra padding  we carry around, the way we are perceived by others, our successes, our failures, our careers or lack of. It isn't a decision weighing on our minds, our checkbook balances, our last names, our abilities, or the size of our waistline. It isn't even the hurts or the arguments. It isn't the words we can't take back or those we left unsaid. 

All that matters...all that remains when we lie stripped of all earthly glory and gray from death's shadow...all that matters is love. 

Nitty gritty, soul laid bare...love. 

Every circumstance in life, no matter how crooked and

 distorted and ugly it appears to be, if it is reacted to in love

 and forgiveness and obedience to Your (God's) will can be 

transformed...." 

From the book: Hinds' Feet on High Places.


That's the kind of love that God wants from us. The kind that blooms despite impossible odds. Transforming, 
redeeming, life-giving, grace-filled love. 

The way that He loves us...the kind of love that never stops and never gives up. The kind of love that covers a 
multitude of wrongs. The kind of love that means we are never separated from Him.

Because of His love, I am like that petunia, growing against all odds in a place I never should have grown. 
The impossible, made possible. Blooming when I should have shriveled and died.
 Living instead. Thriving even. 
Many of you are like that petunia, as well. 
Because of His great, life-giving love.

And, since love is all that matters...

I will be driving to Chicago later this week, with my kids (Tim has to work) to see my father. It has been a few years since we've seen him, and I have never been to his house. While I am, in general, a big chicken when it comes to driving, I made a promise to Tim, myself, our boys, and most of all to the Lord that I would not let another summer pass without making the trip. So, even though Tim is unable to join us due to work demands, after much prayer, we have decided to take a leap and go. After all, God has not given us a spirit of fear! I will also be taking some time to meet with the amazing staff from The Haven Network while we're there. Please keep our travel and the meeting in prayer! 

8 comments:

Jenilee said...

I will be praying for safe travels and for a wonderful trip!!! you CAN do it!

September said...

Safe travels Kelly,,, Your post gave me a lot to think about again tonight. The size of my waist-line might be one of them I WON'T be thinking about (grin)..
Thank you for sharing that picture. I will be camping with my kids all week,, and will be focusing on what matters.
Love to you,
September

Rob's Farmgirl said...

Great post...loved it! And praying for your upcoming trip. Go you, for not letting fear rule;)

Spud said...

I'll be praying for your trip. Enjoy your visit!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Amen! Great story. Have a wonderful time driving to Chicago. You will be just fine. Have some great pizza while you are there.
(Aurelio's-Gino's-Lou Malnatis)

Debbie Petras said...

Kelly, I love your photo that tells such a wonderful story. It reminds me of something a friend told me recently ...bloom where you're planted. A flower that bursts in the midst of the unlovely, the downtrodden, the ugly.

I agree. Love is most important. And when we enter the rest of God as we go through our day, He gives us love to share with others. I will pray right now that the Lord will provide His cover of protection for you as you travel to see your dad and that the time spent with him will be good. May He work in you and through you to love others.

I so appreciate your visit and kind comments on Heart Choices. It's been too long since I visited you too. I'm glad to reconnect.

Blessings and love,
Debbie

Unknown said...

Kelly, you were meant to write. You do it so well. I loved this post and I totally agree. Enduring love is beautiful. I love the visual of enduring love you shared in the petunia blooming in such an unlikely place.

Safe travels to you as you go to visit your dad.

Thanks for sharing Kel.
Love,
Lynnette

Holly said...

Will be praying for safe travels for you and a wonderful visit with your dad. I'm excited to hear about The Haven Network too!