Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Monday, August 15, 2011

Our Trip to Chicago and My Dad

This weekend, I drove to Chicago. Alone with my boys.

If you know me in real life, you realize what a crazy big deal that is. I don't even like to drive on the highway an hour away! So, six hours on the turnpike, without Tim...now that's something! (Tim had work obligations, and couldn't join us.) But, I did it...and we survived. Sometimes you have to just pray, trust, and leap! I remember one of the lessons that hit home when my mother was battling cancer had to do with the song I Hope You Dance. The words: Whenever you have the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance were a message for me years ago. So, this weekend, I danced, driving to see my father's house for the first time, also to see my brother for the first time in close to a decade, and to meet with the ladies from The Haven Network. I'll be posting later this week about my visit to The Haven Network, as well as doing a special Chicago-style Traveling Food Fest. So stay tuned!

Tonight as I write this post, emotions and thoughts of family and ministry happenings tumbling around in my mind, I'm not sure where to begin.

Thursday, we left in the morning, beginning the six hour drive to the Chicago area. We stopped in South Bend, Indiana, to see Notre Dame, (Timothy's favorite college football team). He has always loved the movie Rudy, and it remains his favorite. After our visit, I have a hankering to watch some Rudy myself!


And, yes, James is wearing an Ohio State jersey on the Notre Dame campus! =)


We had lunch at the Legends of Notre Dame restaurant. A really cool place, if you're a Notre Dame fan.

We lingered for a couple hours, soaking in the architecture and the atmosphere, snapping pictures, and browsing the bookstore.


We arrived in Geneva a couple hours behind schedule, spent a moment freshening up in my dad's office located on the second floor of a historical red house with yellow trim, and took the short walk to the train station, through the kind of neighborhood you would read about in a book about a summer romance in a quaint town on the lake.. Much to James' delight, we boarded the train for the hour ride to Chicago.




Downtown Chicago


At Navy Pier



I hear they dye this river green on St. Patty's Day. Wouldn't it be fun to see that?


My Dad, smoking his pipe, walking through Chicago. He has smoked a pipe for as long as I can remember.



The boys and I with my Dad...


After our Chicago visit, we drove to my father's home in Rockford, Illinois. We spent the next few days meeting friends, neighbors, and my dad's wife, Carol's side of the family.


This is my handsome brother Colin. On Friday night, we rode with my dad to Milwaukee to pick him up at the airport.


During my visit, we flipped through photo albums filled with pictures I had never seen before.  Like this one of my dad holding me as a baby. I love this one, because he is wearing a fisherman's sweater. Fisherman sweaters always remind me of my Irish dad.


And this one...both of us so young. 

And my grandparents, who both passed away years ago. 


As I turned the pages of the albums, I reflected on the memories. And, the mystery of time and love...of roots and connections and family. We love the best we can. We do the best we can, being the flawed vessels that we are. God is teaching me about love, gently and patiently...freeing, grace-filled love. Have you ever considered that it is no accident the people God places in our lives? Whoever they are and however they stumbled into our lives, we have the opportunity to love them.

The family we know well, the family we know little of, the friends we share laughter and tears with, our neighbors, even those that drive us crazy and push all of our buttons. Even fleeting meetings with random strangers. Every encounter we have is an opportunity to show love and grace to another soul. What if we lived that way? 

He is teaching me. And, I'm trying to learn...slowly and clumsily, like flawed vessels do.



10 comments:

Kristin said...

I absolutely love what you said about how every person in our lives, we have an opportunity to love. Oh, how God has been working on me with that! He has definitely placed some in my life that push my buttons, but I am trying to simply love. The world would be so different if we all did that.

Our stories are similar, with having to travel to see our Dads and I'm not a good traveler at all! I'm glad you had a nice time. Chicago looks like fun!

Jenilee said...

wow! I'm so glad you went and had such a wonderful trip! the pictures are adorable. :)

Shannon said...

I especially love the pictures you shared! What a gift to have those old pictures of you and your dad, your grandparents, and the recent one of you and your brother. I love the big smiles and the fun that you can see in the big family picture you took while you were there. You give your boys a special memory to take them on this trip and walk through the exciting and scary together!

Holly said...

What a great trip you have shared so far. It is always wonderful to be with family. I love looking at old pictures so I think I would've enjoyed that a lot!

Linda said...

Looks like a great trip Kelly girl! These were great pictures.

I am so glad that the driving went ok. I'm glad you "danced" through it!

Great post...and good reminder to love freely! Even those who make it hard...or who "push all our buttons".

Love you,
Momma Linda

Jill said...

Love the pictures! Chicago is one of my favorite places to visit.

Mattie said...

I always love seeing old family pics, thanks so much for sharing your trip!

Katie said...

Awesome, Kelly! Love all the pics! Chicago is one of our favorite cities!

Unknown said...

What a brave woman you are! I'll bet it helped having your oldest son along. I think having older children makes us braver. Don't you? :) How old is Timothy now? He looks 17-18.

Looks like a blessed and wonderful time. I couldn't agree more - time spent with people is opportunity to share love. :)

Love,
Lynnette

Lori said...

Oh those baby pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Precious. I can only imagine how emotional it must be.

Love your humility. Your last sentence was beautiful.
xoxo