Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Ripe With Possibility (This post includes the Two Hour Delay Song for Your Listening...ahem...Pleasure)



This morning I woke up to the glorious news of a two hour delay due to icy roads. A two hour delay...sigh...one of life's gifts for children and mommies and teachers/faculty alike. You may not know this about us. But, whenever there is a two hour delay at the Gerken house, James and I dance and jump on the bed and sing the two hour delay song.

It goes something like this:
Two hour delay...two hour delay...two hour, two hour, two hour delay....HEY!

A two hour delay means I can sleep a little longer, linger a bit more, and sip my tea a little slower. As opposed to rushing around like a mad woman and grabbing my tea on our way out the door to get James and I to school and to my job as a special needs para, as I shout to Timothy to drive safely and have a good day. Husband Tim leaves for work before we are up, so he sometimes gets a groaned, muffled..."Love you...see ya". Real life isn't very romantic...but after almost seventeen years...I like real life way better, anyway. I would so rather laugh with that man, while nestled under the covers in my sweatpants than do almost anything else. But, that's another post.

A two hour delay also brings with it the possibility of the ever coveted, NO SCHOOL TODAY! We wait with baited breath for the words to scroll across the screen. No longer simply satisfied with the extra two hours, we long for more.

And, that, my friends, was the gift we received on this glorious ice covered Ohio morning. So, in sweet celebration of this delightful gift of a day ripe with all the possibilities a free day can hold, I give you our demonstrations of the Two Hour Delay Song and No School Today Song....performed live from my bedroom in our morning clothes and no make up...for the sake of authenticity...where I may or may not spend most of the day. Today, I just might work on my book (the one I've been writing for several years) from the comfort of my bed, organize a corner of my basement, call a friend, definitely will sip some tea, read some blogs, study my bible, read some of the Lies Women Believe book, maybe work on some Sufficient Grace shipments, pray some prayers, perfect my moves on Just Dance 2, giggle with my people, and soak in the sweet gift of right now. Oh...the possibilities.





By the way...I'm wearing my Bernie Kosar jersey, even though you can't tell in the video. My morning clothes are fancy like that! ;) The season is over for the Browns...but, there's always next year! (The sad motto of Browns fans!) And....I'm now rooting for the Jets to go to the Super Bowl, because I love their trash-talkin' coach.

I hope you are enjoying the gift of right now, as well...and all the possibilities this day holds.

Oh...a couple other things...

Our son, Timothy turns seventeen this week! Happy Birthday, Timothy! (Which means I have been a mama for seventeen years...wow!) And we are making Comfort Bears for Sufficient Grace this Saturday morning at 8:30 a.m. at Harvest Fellowship Church. If you're local, come on out and help us stuff some bears!

9 comments:

Jenilee said...

that is too cute! I love that you have a special song. that is something he will ALWAYS remember and something that he will share with his kids one day. thanks for the video too. you are so adorable!

Spud said...

Absolutely adorable! Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

So cute!

Linda said...

I used to sing this silly song every morning before taking my kiddos to school when my kids would say come on mom it's time to go!.
"One more cup of coffee..and I'll be on my way!" (Sung real hokie like a hillbilly!) tee hee The kids would roll their eyes!

Unknown said...

Awe - so cute! I used to love snow days, and since I grew up near Buffalo we had a LOT of snow days :)

Lisette said...

You just made me smile!

Holly said...

You guys are just adorable with your little songs! Glad you got a day off!! :) Wish I could be there for the comfort bears! Some day I need to be there for one of those and help out!

Jennifer said...

Loving the video! Too cute! Enjoy your day!

Sydney said...

That video is so cute! I think exactly the way you do about snow days and delays! I had a snow day today and I get one tomorrow too!
Anyway, I love your blogging style and your mission with Sufficient Grace Ministries.

Visit my Blog at: http://faithfulalwaysblog.blogspot.com/