Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Monday, August 22, 2011

The Haven Network

I first read a blurb about The Haven Network a few years ago, shortly after learning about the concept of perinatal hospice and meeting Amy Kuebelbeck (author of Waiting With Gabriel). I was grazing through a list of perinatal hospice organizations, and stopped for moment when I read that The Haven Network was a Christian-based, non-profit organization, serving families who received a fatal diagnosis during pregnancy. Immediately something stirred in me. I knew that one day I'd like to make a connection with them and see what kind of work they do. Perinatal hospice was a fairly new concept, and I was quite intrigued with the idea that such a place could exist...a place where families facing a fatal pregnancy diagnosis could find support, encouragement, guidance, resources, and comfort. It is the very thing I wish existed when my family muddled our way through years ago, and some of what I longed to help provide for families myself through Sufficient Grace Ministries.

I came across the name again at some point, and found that The Haven Network was located in Rockford, Illinois...the same town my where my father lived. I thought that if I ever happened to visit my father, I would have to see if I could visit The Haven. Years passed, and we started serving families in our own way...through the Dreams of You Memory Book and Comfort Bears and online support through families. I spoke at hospitals and women's groups...sharing about the hope and comfort God gives and about SGM.

Two weeks ago, while planning a spontaneous visit to finally see my father's home, I remembered The Haven Network. The whirlwind trip was going to be a busy one...with just the boys and me. So, I wasn't sure if I could pull it off. I had a fleeting thought about getting their contact information, when a mom named Laura that we had ministered to through SGM sent me a comment on facebook that Rockford, Illinois was the location of the perinatal hospice organization that walked with her in her time of need. She had such wonderful things to say about the ways they had offered her support. I quickly asked for their contact info., and she sent it. I contacted them and spoke with Jean who was receptive to meeting with me and arranged a time that fit into our busy schedules.

We met Saturday morning. Jean greeted me at the door of their beautiful building location on the river. I walked through the hallway, gazing at walls adorned with gorgeous black and white photographs that captured precious, yet brief lives. Baby feet, mamas and babies, hands holding one another...soaking in a lifetime of love and memories in a moment. Everything about the place was soothing and welcoming...honoring of life.

I met Kathy, who joined Jean in her office to share the mission they had for families who face the loss of their babies. They have a staff with a nurse (Kathy) and a photographer and a host of volunteers. I kept choking down the emotion as I looked around me, as if walking in a dream, my own dream and vision. I had longed to create such a place where families could come...a haven where there would be love and encouragement to continue a pregnancy with hope and dignity. A place where each precious life is treasured and a family is supported through the process....a place where someone will hold the hand of each mama and daddy and walk with them all the way. At one point I had to allow the emotion to come out...so overwhelmed to know that such an amazing, beautiful place exists for families like us. I felt such awe and gratitude to be standing in the room with the women who created such a place...the women who have made this their life's work. How I long to do the same.

I shared with them the story of Faith, Grace, and Thomas...with much emotion spilling over. And, I told them about starting Sufficient Grace in 2004 and operating out of my basement. Even as we sat in their beautiful building, they shared about starting in a basement in the beginning, as well. I gave them the Dreams of You Memory Books and other items I had brought to give in memory of Michael Vollmer.



They loved the books and I felt that we had been parts of a puzzle fit together in that moment, as I admired all that they had accomplished and they encouraged me on what we have accomplished. (All of us knowing that God was really the One that made it all possible!)

It was such a blessing to spend time sharing and exchanging ideas with like-minded ladies, with hearts of compassion for the same purpose...comforting grieving families. I hope to work with them in the future in whatever way our paths happen to cross again. It seems the Lord has plans for us, and I look forward to seeing what that might be! I hope you'll take a few moments to learn more about this wonderful organization and the services they provide for families. Praying God's continued blessings on the beautiful ladies from The Haven Network.

                                               Pictured below: Jean, me, and Kathy


5 comments:

Caroline said...

So glad you got to meet them. What a beautiful organization they have going on.
Thanx for sharing this and all you do Kelly.
{{{ <3 }}}

summit90 said...

Kathy and Jean were so excited about your visit. You are right, God does have much in store for us. Thank you so much for your visit and for giving us the books and bears. We have already shared a book with a wonderful family.

Kathy Pittman (Photographer :)

Holly said...

This organization is so wonderful and I wish something like this existed in our area. Maybe one day! You never know what God has in store. I would def love to go w/ you next time.

babyrndeb said...

wow - that sounds like a beautiful place to have your hospice.
Our program operates out of a small office , we do home visits and offer many of the same services. If only we had a calm, relaxing place where our patients could meet.
Maybe I need to plan a visit to Haven~

Lori said...

Ok. This one DID make me cry. What a beautiful organization but more beautiful was the picture of the three of you...such beautiful testimonies for doing things for the glory of God.

Loved this post.