Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A Gift of Time Book Tour

For those new to this site, my name is Kelly Gerken, and I am the founder of Sufficient Grace Ministries for Women and Families. You can learn more about our non-profit ministry which offers comfort and hope to hundreds of families each year all over the United States and beyond by clicking the link in this post or the Home Tab at the top of the page. This ministry was born from our own family's journey through the loss of three of our five children: twin daughters, Faith and Grace, who suffered from twin to twin transfusion syndrome and a son, Thomas, who was diagnosed with Potter's Syndrome. You can read more about our family's story of hope and healing by clicking here.

I mentioned in a previous post that part of our story was shared in a recently published book co-authored by Amy Kuebelbeck and Deborah Davis entitled, A Gift of Time. This book is a wonderful resource for families who are facing a fatal pregnancy diagnosis and for those who walk with them through this journey. Kathleen Benson is hosting a question/answer virtual book tour today, so I joined in to share some thoughts along with a few of the other contributors.

I answered some of the other questions, especially my initial reaction/feelings after reading the book in a previous post. Click here to read those thoughts.

And, now I'll try to answer a few other questions on the tour:

· As a bereaved parent, how have you continued to celebrate the memory of your deceased infant, and what resources did you utilize to help you cope with your loss?

During a past session of Walking With You (our online bereavement support site), I shared more details about how we remember our babies. In the beginning, we had little birthday parties with cupcakes or cookies with a close friend. We don't always make a big deal out of those days now, many years later. But, we never forget. Hanging special ornaments on the tree at Christmas, donating bibles in their names, purchasing presents to give to needy children at Christmas through Operation Christmas child...these are all different things we have done. One of the most significant ways that their lives have touched the lives of others is the legacy they have through Sufficient Grace Ministries. Every Dreams of You Memory Book that is given to a grieving family, every Comfort Bear that fills a pair of empty arms...every one of the items we give says that Faith, Grace, and Thomas were here. Their lives mattered. Because they lived, because God comforted us in our grief, we can reach out to offer comfort and hope to others.

· For most of the contributors to A Gift of Time, many years have now come and gone since the deaths of our babies. Looking back on your pregnancy and experience since the birth and death of your child(ren) has your perspective changed at all over the years? Do you have any regrets or think that you would do anything differently, “knowing what you know now?”

It has been fourteen years since Faith and Grace were born still, and twelve years since we spent six precious hours with our Thomas before saying goodbye. When we carried Thomas, after learning of his fatal diagnosis, we didn't know that we were making some brave choice. We were just trying to parent our son the best we could, and do what we felt was right in the eyes of the Lord. We didn't know the significance of that choice. Looking back, I realize that there was so little support because most of the time families in our situation chose to terminate. We were sort of like pioneers in many ways. But, we didn't know that. We were just trying to survive it...praying for a miracle, while planning a funeral.

Regrets...

Yes, I have many. I regret not taking on the perspective that we could take Thomas to different places while in my womb, making memories...soaking in that gift of time for all it was worth. I sang to him, prayed for him, talked with him. I did cherish the time. But there was so much more I could have done. I could have written him letters. I could have had beautiful maternity pictures taken. I could have planned to have our oldest son at the hospital to share that precious time, along with other family members. We could have chosen comfort care...and would have, if we would have known there was such a thing. I could have written a birth plan, if I would have known there was such a thing. I could have given him a bath like I wanted, instead of allowing the nurse to tell me that would just be "too hard". I wish I could have had beautiful photographs of all three of our babies and our family like parents have today through organizations like Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep. I wish I had pictures of me kissing his face. I wish I would have unwrapped him and taken pictures of his feet and hands.

There are more. I could fill books with my regrets. But, I did the best I could. We did the best we could. We loved our children...all of them. And, one thing we do not regret. We do not regret giving them every opportunity for life. We view our time with them as the most precious of gifts. For that we are grateful...and for the promise that our regrets will one day be wiped away along with our tears. All will be right in heaven, where they wait, complete and safe.

· Whether or not you believe that “everything happens for a reason,” what good have you found that has come from your experience parenting a baby that did not live long before or after their birth?

I could fill books with the good that has been born from this journey, as well. We believe and have witnessed, that God makes beauty from ashes. We would have never chosen this path, but it is the path we have walked. And, there have been beautiful gifts in our lives because Faith, Grace, and Thomas lived. We were broken, more than once, in our sorrow. We learned to cling to God in such a profound and deep way...a way that can only be learned through being so broken, so desperate, so in need of His strength. We learned what it feels like to experience His sufficient grace. Our marriage went through incredible struggles, and seemed that it would barely survive at one point. And, yet...He healed not only our broken hearts, but our marriage has been restored to a place I never imagined possible. I mentioned before the work of  Sufficient Grace Ministries. That is a beautiful picture of the good being born from so much sorrow. And, we stand in awe of the privilege of being able to watch this story unfold.

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort that we ourselves have received from God. ~ 2 Corinthians 1:3-4



Because we were comforted by a loving God, we want to reach out and offer comfort to others walking this path.
This verse has also held true for us:


Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy.
Psalm 126:5

Thanks so much for stopping by on the tour. You can meet some of the other contributors to A Gift of Time by visiting Kathleen's site, linked below.
To continue to the next leg of this book tour, please visit the main list at Four of a Kind.







6 comments:

Kami said...

Your heart is absolutely beautiful. When I had my first miscarriage I never expected it to rock and change my world so much, but it really does. I love to hear of all the good that came from these tragic moments in your life.

My sweet uncle just lost his precious wife almost two weeks ago. His perspective and his attitude completely amaze me. He continues to remind me that God is good ALL the time and that she is finally dancing like she always wanted to (she had muscular dystrophy and was scooter-bound for most of her life). I love his heart and I love your heart.

God really, truly is good all the time!

Jennifer said...

Your ministry and sharing is a beautiful reflection of the love you have for the three babies you so dearly miss!-- Jennifer, Gianna's Mom

Kathy said...

Thank you so much for contributing your story to A Gift of Time and for participating in this book tour Kelly!

I am inspired by the work you do through Sufficient Grace Ministries. I agree with Jennifer (and you), that your ministry is such a powerful way that Faith, Grace and Thomas’s legacies live on.

It has “only” been 3 years since my baby girl Molly was born died. So I really appreciated reading your perspective being 14 years out from your twin baby girls’ death and 12 years since your baby boy Thomas’s passing.

I loved your answer to the second question. Especially this part, “We didn't know that we were making some brave choice. We were just trying to parent our son the best we could, and do what we felt was right in the eyes of the Lord….We were sort of like pioneers in many ways. But, we didn't know that. We were just trying to survive it...praying for a miracle, while planning a funeral.”

Thank you also for sharing about your regrets. I agree that you and your husband were “pioneers” back then and unfortunately as you said, you didn’t have the benefit of knowing about or having access to all the options that parents and families have now when they receive a fatal or life-limiting prenatal diagnosis and prognosis.

I am so grateful to parents like you though who learned from your experience and helped pay it forward, so that when the time came for our daughter Molly to be born and die, we were a bit more prepared and knew about things like compassionate care and Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep. So I thank you for paving the way for parents like me and many more who may someday follow in our footsteps.

I also really appreciate what you shared in response to the third question you answered. I was very moved by this part especially, “We believe and have witnessed, that God makes beauty from ashes. We would have never chosen this path, but it is the path we have walked. And, there have been beautiful gifts in our lives because Faith, Grace, and Thomas lived…. And, we stand in awe of the privilege of being able to watch this story unfold.”

Thank you also for sharing that verse from Corinthians. That is definitely something that I have also tried to do since the birth and death of our daughter Molly. It helps me to give even more purpose to her life and death, when I know that I can use what I learned from our experience to try to help others grieving and healing from loss in their lives.

Thank you again Kelly for participating in the A Gift of Time book tour and for sharing part of your story as a contributor to A Gift of Time! I really enjoyed your thoughtful and thought-provoking answers to the questions you chose to discuss.

Take care and God bless,
Kathy

Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

Just wanted to share a couple comments by Jennifer and Deanna that were left on a link to a previous post. I found Jennifer's comment to be such an encouraging blessing.

And, also wanted to share their comments in case others may also be considering joining in the "Gift of Time" contributors' gathering at Faith's Lodge. Also...I wasn't sure if Jennifer would see Deanna's comment on the other post, so I added it here. Hope you girls don't mind me adding your comments to this discussion as well as leaving them on the other post. =)

Jennifer said...
Kelly, The poignancy of your writings, shared in this beatiful, rich blog--as well as the printed quotes in __A Gift of Time__ are helping me reflect on my own experience, four years ago, with our anticipated loss. I am in awe. You have a very special talent for expressing your authentic, faith-filled insights with supreme eloquence. God bless you for your courage in sharing and inspiring so many facing similar hardships! The quotes on p. 16, p. 40, and p. 87 resonate so very deeply with what I experienced when we learned of our daughter's diagnosis (like your Thomas, with bilateral renal agenesis/Potter's Sequence). If I had the opportunity to have read these very open reflections you have shared during our darkest hours, I would've have better understood that we weren't alone, and that peace could be found in the midst of the storm. Thank you for sharing so honestly with so many! Peace be with you, today and always~ Jennifer, Mother of Gianna (fellow __A Gift of Time__ contributor) P.S. Are you applying to attend the Faith's Lodge retreat this fall? My family is attending!

March 30, 2011 11:49 AM


Deanna said...
@ Jennifer & Kelly, if either of you are attending Faith's Lodge, please let me know! My husband and I often volunteer there making dinners for groups & would love the opportunity to be there when you are. We are avid supporters of them, part of our proceeds go to their cause. We have been there once and stayed as a retreat, we are going again this fall. We also volunteered at Hope Rocks last year. My email is deanna@riversrally.org :)

March 30, 2011 1:06 PM

Lori said...

Reading that Psalm this morning has just completely made my sob. I've always loved it, now I cling to it...and reading it this morning is exactly what I needed to start my day.

Sowing, but reaping as well. I'm blessed.

xoxoxo

Unknown said...

Dear Kelly, thank you for participating in this tour! Your creation of Sufficient Grace Ministries is a beautiful tribute in memory of Thomas, Faith and Grace. Your triple heartbreak has yielded a wonderful ministry. And thank you again for sharing Thomas' story for this book. You and your husband are parents to all five of your children always. Amy