Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Friday, February 18, 2011

Cling

I'm always late to the party.

And, this time is no exception.

When 2011 dawned, many people were writing about choosing a word that would encompass this year for them. Maybe it's a word that God had whispered to their hearts...a word holding a promise of what was to come...or a word that held a special meaning, a message just for them.

I don't know who started this practice, and truth be told, I just heard of it this year. As a lover of words, myself, I'm not sure how I've missed out on this for so long. Even after reading about other people's inspiring words for 2011, I didn't choose one for myself. Not right away. I'm a procrastinator like that. Hence...the always being late to the party...or where ever else I happen to be going.

Besides...there was a stirring in my heart that the word needed to choose me....

You know...if there was even going to be a word at all...

I put it aside like a faithful procrastinator...too busy to contemplate the perfect word. I'm the type of person who can't choose a restaurant to have lunch, and I almost always regret what I choose to eat...wishing I would have chosen something else. It's hard enough to make decisions and commitments that I have to make. I certainly wasn't going to seek one out. And, especially not such a weighty decision as what word would encompass and define this entire year. No, thank you.

But, when something seeks you...

When God tugs at your heart, stirring in your depths, pursuing your wandering gaze, demanding your attention with a persistence that is both relentless and full of gentle speaking grace...

Well, now...that's a different thing entirely....

A word began to form, deep inside my depths. Such a quiet whisper, I'm not sure how I even heard it. It resonated, barely a thought, but already part of me. Small and still, but clear and resolutely there all at the same time...

Cling...

I tried to shake it away. Cling? That's going to be the word...my word?? What does that even mean? Even as I asked, I knew. The word had already staked it's claim. My spirit knew. Even in the knowing, I resisted.

But, when He pursues you...

With one word....

With one breath...one thought...one look of His eyes...

Sometime in January, my in real life friend, Lynette, called. My little prayer warrior friend, the tiny woman with four boys who prays mighty prayers. Lynette had heard a teaching on the radio about the concept of choosing a word to focus on for the year. Allowing God to speak to your heart and mull it over, chewing on what He has to say about that particular concept in your life.

I smiled knowingly....in awe of His pursuit, but not surprised. He is faithful like that...

Again, the word Cling sprang immediately to my heart...but I didn't speak it with my lips. I heard myself say instead that some blogger friends had been talking about this very thing. She and I committed to pray about the word God would have us focus on for the coming year. We would then share the word with each other and encourage one another with what God had to show us.

I did pray...

But, each time I came to Him, the bold whisper....His answer...was there before I could make the request. Even as I prayed about other things, it was there...bubbling up...piercing through. How can a whisper be so certain, so full of authority, so unrelenting?

Really?

That's the word?

Finally, as I drove in the car alone one day last week, listening to JJ Heller's hauntingly beautiful, naked-hearted voice, pondering all the anxieties that plague our hearts...all the weighty things of this world that entangle us, stealing our joy, stifling and choking the very life from our lungs, all the broken places that keep us from being the people we were created to be...His word...the word He was offering to me...nay the word He had bestowed upon me...the word that had chosen me...pierced through my thoughts again, with it's attention-demanding whisper.

Cling...

I yielded, allowing the word to claim me with it's embrace, washing over me as I embraced it right back.

What would I cling to as I flail through the coming year with all my imperfections? For comfort, for peace, for joy, for wisdom....would I cling to my stinky onion layers, or would I reach for Him? Would I cling to the hem of His garment as if my life depended on it? There is a lot of letting go involved in the act of clinging to Him.

Not wanting my own thoughts to pollute the truth He wanted to speak into my life, I typed the word cling into the bible gateway search....

He spoke...

Deuteronomy 30:19-20 (New King James Version)

I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live; that you may love the LORD your God, that you may obey His voice, and that you may cling to Him, for He is your life and the length of your days; and that you may dwell in the land which the LORD swore to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, to give them.”
(emphasis and italics mine)

If there were nothing else said, that would be enough. The above words are enough for my heart to ponder for a lifetime. Scripture to base not only this year on...but the length of my days...being led by those words.

Yet...there is more...

A loving warning should we choose to cling to something else...

Joshua 23:11-13 (New King James Version)
Therefore take careful heed to yourselves, that you love the LORD your God. Or else, if indeed you do go back, and cling to the remnant of these nations—these that remain among you—and make marriages with them, and go in to them and they to you, know for certain that the LORD your God will no longer drive out these nations from before you. But they shall be snares and traps to you, and scourges on your sides and thorns in your eyes, until you perish from this good land which the LORD your God has given you.

Instead, may this be the cry of my heart...

Psalm 101:3 (New King James Version)

I will set nothing wicked before my eyes;
I hate the work of those who fall away;
It shall not cling to me.

And, may this be my daily prayer...


Psalm 63 (New International Version, ©2010)

You, God, are my God,
earnestly I seek you;
I thirst for you,
my whole being longs for you,
in a dry and parched land
where there is no water.

I have seen you in the sanctuary
and beheld your power and your glory.
Because your love is better than life,
my lips will glorify you.

I will praise you as long as I live,
and in your name I will lift up my hands.
I will be fully satisfied as with the richest of foods;
with singing lips my mouth will praise you.

On my bed I remember you;
I think of you through the watches of the night.
Because you are my help,
I sing in the shadow of your wings.
I cling to you; your right hand upholds me.

If I'm not clinging to Him, what am I clinging to? One brings life, and the other death. Much to ponder in the coming year, and for the length of my days.

And, yet...such beautiful simplicity.

One, whispered word....

Cling...

6 comments:

Jenilee said...

I love your word. I think it is perfect and has a wonderful picture in it's meaning. love it!

Kristin said...

I love when God speaks to us in that way. I love the verse that says choose life. I think my word might be "choice" since I've been learning so much about making intentional choices to step out in faith, instead of choosing to fear and do nothing.

Gottjoy! said...

Wonderful, wonderful word...and the verses that goes with it...wow! I have never noticed that, although I have read Deut 30 many times...

Look forward to how God will use this in your life...

Mrs. Frogster said...

so much thought and instruction in one little word! thank you for this thought-provoking post - I needed it today.
:) may God bless you today!

Holly said...

I think that is a wonderful word for this year! I know a few who pick a word each year but I've never done it for myself.

Jennifer Ross said...

Cling.......... perfect word to hold onto Kelly. There is no better place to be, then clinging to our God.

(I'm almost done with Ch.6.) :o)