Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Hunkering Down for The Blizzard of 2011 ~ And the Recipe for Snow Ice Cream

There are blizzard warnings where I live. Last night the winds swirled and close to six inches of snow fell on top of the several inches that already lay on the ground. Tonight, the real fun begins as the winds will pick up and the snow is predicted to fall with a fury we haven't witnessed in quite some time 'round these parts. A little north of us, there could be 20 inches of snow with some ice mixed in for good measure when all is said and done. We can expect close to 10 inches on top of what we currently have.

This morning, I awoke to this view outside my door...



And, I am thoroughly delighted.

For me, all this snow means Snow Days. No school for my boys...and no work for me. And, it's no secret, this mama loves a good snow day. It is celebrated with such glee and giddyness, I can't even tell you. This snow day, while full of bliss, has been a little different than a typical one.

James and I, of course, sang the "No School Today" song this morning. But, the Tims....they weren't singing. Husband Tim left at 2:00am to do snow removal at a WalMart parking lot a half hour from our house. And, Timothy was called into work by his boss, the owner of the local grocery store early this morning. James and I joked that the Tims were doing their part to ensure that the county can stock up on bread and milk, and hunker down for the Great Blizzard of 2011. No one would go hungry on their watch!

After lounging a bit, we bundled up to conquer the driveway. This may seem like a small task, but you must know a little secret. I haven't shoveled the entire driveway....or mowed the lawn for that matter...in all my almost seventeen years of marriage. I am quite taken care of by my burly manly-man husband and growing sons. Yes....I am not ashamed to admit that I'm one of those women. The kind that used to drive my mother a bit crazy. The kind who are taken care of by men and don't feel the least bit apologetic about it.

That being said, the driveway needed shoveling, and there were no Tims with strong backs and arms to do the job. So James picked up a little shovel to work on the sidewalk, and I grabbed the snow shovel and made my way into the frozen tundra. After all, Caroline Ingalls would surely have made sure that she shoveled a place for Charles to park the wagon if he had been out working in the wee hours of the morning in a snow storm to provide for their family. I could do the same, right? And, any loving wife would.



So....I shoveled....and shoveled...and shoveled...



I wondered how many calories I was burning as I wiped the hair from my face and dug the shovel into the endless piles of snow. I grew weary midway through when I looked at the size of the task, and decided to stop looking and just shovel. I smiled, thinking how there are life lessons...even in shoveling the driveway. Don't look at the size of the task....just keep shoveling...and keep trusting. I thought of how grateful I was for all the years my husband shoveled the driveway with a back already aching from a hard day's work...or in the wee hours of the morning before he left for work. Or for Timothy, who willingly shoveled the driveway so many times so we wouldn't have to. I thought of how proud I am of both my Tims....out working while we were nestled into our warm house, without a care in the world.

And, when I was finished....I may, or may not have sung a line of "I am woman, hear me roar"....with a satisfied grin. ;)




(Pay no attention to the Christmas wreath still adorning our door. I'm not even going to make an excuse. That's just how we roll!)

I think even our sweet lab, Rex, was proud of me! =)


After a nice little snowball fight with this guy...


We went inside to make snow ice cream! It was so yummy and the boys (our neighbor boy had joined us) were quite
   impressed that we could make ice cream from snow. 


Snow Ice Cream Recipe

Fresh snow
A little milk
A couple spoonfuls of sugar
1-2tsp. vanilla
Stir to consistency and taste

It's a fun and simple treat to enjoy with your children on a Snow Day!


O.k....time for me to go and cook for my people. Hope you are nestled in safe and warm.

Have a blessed day! =)

P.S. If you would like to attend the Women of Faith Conference with us, please visit the Coming Events page for information. We are ordering tickets this weekend, so we need to collect the orders ASAP. Also, the Helping Hands ladies will be sewing Comfort Bears at Harvest Fellowship again this Saturday if you are able to join us. No sewing experience necessary!


8 comments:

Shannon said...

I love the line about 'I may or may not have sung: I am woman, hear me roar!' Just love it!

Mary said...

Now that I am a mom to 3 sons, I am hoping to be "one of those women" too! :)

Tonya said...

You look beautiful in the picture above! (close up with your scarf on!) Stay warm!

Love,
Tonya

Jennifer said...

So TOTALLY jealous! All we are getting is rain and thunder! Bummer!

Linda said...

Good work Kelly....I remember those days when I would be out there doing that too. But not these days.

You do look so pretty in the close up picture. (:>)

And that snow ice cream does look yummy.

Glad you enjoyed your snow day!

Jenilee said...

I think you are getting more snow up there than us. we have ice! your recipe looks GREAT though! we will have to try it with our next big snow!

Holly said...

We got freezing rain today so it was a little slick. Glad you got a snow day! Schools were closed here too.

Your snow ice cream makes me want some more! Kyndra keeps wanting to make more but I told her we have to wait for fresh snow b/c our snow is kinda yucky right now.

And FYI our Christmas tree is still up lol

Kristin said...

I want some snow ice cream!! Yum! Good job shoveling that driveway!! Such a beautiful picture of you....you look so much like your mom's picture I've seen on your blog :)