Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Monday, December 14, 2009

Christmas Tour of Homes 2009


Please click here to visit The Nester and view other homes on the tour.

I'm so excited to participate in my second Christmas Tour of Homes. I so enjoyed "visiting" everyone last year on the tour. And, it was nice to get some visits here, as well. Unfortunately, I'm a little rushed this year, so let's get right to it, shall we?



Welcome to our simple little home. Although we love Christmas here at the Gerken residence, we don't have a lot of fancy decorations. Most of what we have has little monetary value, but holds great sentimental value to us. I believe a Christmas tree should tell the story of a family. And, ours certainly does. To read more about some of our ornaments and the meaning behind them, please click here.



Come on in to the kitchen. Things are a little busy here, these days. So, please overlook our dust and crumbs. You'll notice my little Christmas card tree in the corner. I borrowed this idea from our very own BooMama, after I fell in love with hers on last year's tour.



Aren't these wreaths cute? My boys each had the same wonderful second grade teacher. Although they are many years apart in age, they both made a wreath for me for Christmas when they were seven. These are two of my favorite Christmas decorations. Things are just all the more special when made with the hands of those we love.




"What is that on the table, looking so yummy?" you ask.




Why that's just a few goodies left over from Gerken Baking Day 2009. Please have one... or two even. We have plenty! Chocolate really does make everything better...at least for a few minutes! =) And, if that doesn't cure it, some laughter and fellowship with dear friends takes care of the rest.




I'm so glad you stopped by for a little visit, but I really can't let you go without sharing the reason for the joy in my heart during this season of celebration. I'll leave you with the Willow Tree nativity set given to me by my sweet mother on our last Christmas together, and the reason it means so much to me.



For unto us a Child is born,
Unto us a Son is given;
And the government will be upon His shoulder.
And His name will be called
Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Of the increase of His government and peace
There will be no end...
Isaiah 9:6-7a


Some of you may have read this before. I've shared it here more than once... but I'm so grateful Jesus came for us, I just want to share it again and again and again. I'll post the end below, but I encourage you to click here to read Because He Came in it's entirety. It tells our story, a picture of His grace and evidence that He makes beauty from ashes.

From Because He Came...
More than two thousand years ago, the world ached for salvation, swelled with yearning for deliverance, redemption, restoration...for a Savior to rescue from sin and death. And He came...a baby King, born in a lowly stable on a quiet night to a peasant girl and her betrothed...a carpenter. He was in the still, small voice when He whispered past Elijah. And He was in the quiet stable birth when He came to rescue us and sent His angels to tell the lowly shepherds the good news.

His name is Jesus...and He came for me.

His name is Jesus...and He came for you.

And Because He came...there is hope for tomorrow and a promise of a joyful, forever reunion. He will wipe away all of the tears and wash away the loss and regret. He will cleanse and forgive and clothe us in robes of white. The empty arms will be filled. The hungry hearts will be fed. Brokenness will be restored. Mourning will be turned to dancing. And sin and death will be no more.

Because He came...He will carry us through this life.

And because He came...He will come again...in all His glory...to take us home.

© Kelly Gerken, Sufficient Grace Ministries 2008-2009

That, my friends, is the reason for my joy. Thanks for stopping by...

A Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year to you!

Happy touring...

15 comments:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Your home looks beautiful, thank you for sharing.

Unknown said...

Beautiful home Kelly. I loved seeing all the pictures.

Caroline said...

So very beautiful. Thanx so much for sharing.
Caroline

Kami said...

I love that you can feel the warmth and the love in your pictures! We, like you, don't have a ton of decorations up, but our home definitely has a warmth to it! I love the Christmas season and I love the reason that we celebrate. This is a beautiful post - thanks for sharing! :)

Joyeful said...

Your home is beautiful, just like you! And those cookies DO look yummy!

Jenilee said...

beautiful! I love your tree. thanks for opening your home!

Jennifer Ross said...

That's a beautiful nativity set. I really like how the Christmas tree becomes so many memories each year. It's fun to bring it all out...

Thank you again for the package that you sent me. I love the little angel boy on my tree. That ornament holds it's own story...

Debbie Petras said...

Hi Kelly,

I loved visiting your home. I also participated in this Christmas Tour of Homes 2009. I couldn't believe the number of bloggers participating but I'm glad I got to visit you.

I wanted to tell you how excited I was to receive your memorial ornament in the mail. I placed it in a special place on my tree in memory of my mom. I wish I had it there when I took the photos of my tree but know that it looks beautiful and means so much to me.

I pray that you will have a blessed Christmas this year.

May the Lord bless you,
Debbie

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

Beautiful! "I believe a Christmas tree should tell the story of a family"... I couldn't agree more! I think that makes the best tree!! Your wreaths are so cute... and great idea putting them over your calenders!

Muthering Heights said...

I have the same nativity scene! :D

Joan said...

Simply lovely. Thank you for the tour.

Blessings & Merry Christmas!

Jennifer Juniper said...

I love the Willow Tree Nativity! I have a few pieces, but noticed the nativity a few years ago and want to start collecting it too!

Rachel said...

Hey! We at the Hansen House don't have alot of decorations either...we are newlyweds so the selection of ornamets and decor is small...but I'm loving your house and the stuff we can do with simple things =)

Holly said...

The boys' wreaths are so sweet and I can see why they are your favorite! I love your willow nativity too. And if you don't mind, I'll take some of those cookies!!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Beautiful post....so glad that I stopped by..Your pictures are great. There are new tree pictures up on the holiday blog...and I am loving looking through all the beautiful decorations on the Home Tour...Just need a few free hours...
http://grammyababychangeseverything.blogspot.com/
http://teresa-grammygirlfriend.blogspot.com/