Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Ripping off the Band Aid

Last Thursday, I was coming home from a lovely dinner with The Vollmers, and chatting on my cell phone with Becki in the garage, when James ran out with his usual dramatic flair shouting these three words,

“The washer overflowed.”

We’ve been joking about my washer for awhile. We have to give it a push to get it to go to the spin cycle. Tim said perhaps it was previously owned by The Fonz. While I have felt tempted to give a Fonzie-like “Eyyyyyyy”…with two thumbs up each time I pound the washer in just the right place to get it to do it’s job, I have found the scene from The Coal Miner’s Daughter where Loretta Lynn is trying to write a song and she has to keep kicking her old-school jalopy of a washer to get it to go to the next cycle much more fitting. So, if I’m on the phone with my girl Tracy when the washer gets stuck, I just start crooning in my best hillbilly drawl (nowhere near as good as Loretta, I’m sure)…”I’m just a coal miner’s daughter…” as I pound on my washer.

Yep…I know…sounds glamorous, right?

It's only even been stuck on the spin cycle, but Thursday something much different happened. This time, it stuck on the fill cycle....and no one knew it until it reached every room in the house. The funny thing is, for the past couple weeks, out of the blue, the washer has worked, switching to spin on its own. A miracle! Perhaps it thought we needed a break. After all, every vehicle in the Gerken household has been in the shop the past couple weeks for major repairs. My jalopy jeep is still making some strange noise…in fact, I’m pretty sure it’s a noise it wasn’t making when it went into the shop. Our bathroom drain is giving us fits. The internet works sometimes. Only some of the channels we are supposed to get are coming in on the TV. I could go on, but you get the idea. I shared the revelation with Tim about the washer, and he said, “I noticed that. Maybe it gave up, realizing we weren’t going to replace it, so it just decided to work. We waited it out…and we won.”

Perhaps the washer heard our boast. Perhaps it was merely lying in wait, trying to lull us into a false sense of security. Whatever the case, the washer most certainly had the last laugh. It’s ultimate demise began with those three words.

“The washer overflowed.”

And when I opened the door to the house on Thursday evening I stood in utter awe at the destruction before me. Water oozed like fountains throughout the hallway, into the bedrooms and bathroom, overflowing to the kitchen, seeping through the floor. I ran to the basement where I surveyed what appeared to be waterfalls pouring through the ceiling on to the furnace, scanning the length of the basement through the floor boards above…leaking onto the boxes of stuff I have allowed to accumulate. Ministry items, personal items, paperwork, pictures, clothes, my mother’s things. All stuff left for another time. Piles I had allowed to wait for me to organize…when life was less busy, when the immediate needs of the day were less pressing…when I was ready to look through the pictures, ready to face mom’s things and make a decision about what to do.

 And, now I rushed frantically, grabbing ministry items first: Comfort Bears, Dreams of You Books, our new banner, boxes of paperwork. I ran through the waterfalls, still shocked, my mouth agape in wonder that this was actually happening. I bit back tears as I gripped slippery, soaked boxes and shouted to James to get me towels to dry what I could once I rescued the items from the waterfall. My feet splashed through inches of water puddling around and over my sandals.

Upstairs, Tim brought out his tiny shop vac to extract what water he could from our fifteen year old carpet, after shutting off the water to the washer. Gallons and gallons of water, he sucked into the machine and emptied only to fill it again and again. I heard James slip and fall in one of the puddles, and Tim’s daddy voice telling him to find somewhere dry and stay put. Timothy came home and helped me move some boxes. Tim’s shop vac ran on. We worked into the night, finally plugging in the fans to dry what was left and collapsing into bed at about 1:00am.

The next day as we began to call the insurance company and further assess the damage, we started to look for the silver lining. At least I was home for the summer…not working at school. At least the golf outing was already finished and not looming ahead while I tried to make all the necessary arrangements to clean up the mini-disaster. When we tear out all the carpet, I can finally paint the rooms that have been waiting for me to paint. I will have no excuse to clean and sort the basement…going through mom’s things…doing all that I have put off for the past several years. And, most obvious, we are all o.k. and there are much worse disasters that people endure than this. We think of the victims of floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, tsunamis…and realize that we have so much to be grateful for.  As my very helpful insurance agent said, “At least there are still things to search through.” Yes, indeed. And, we are grateful.

As I began the sorting/cleaning process Friday and Saturday, I realized that these tasks that I’ve avoided like the plague were about to be priority number one for the next couple weeks. I will eat, sleep, and breathe sorting, cleaning, and organizing. Three things that were weaknesses in me before my mother passed. But, since then, I’ve sunk to a new level, and stayed as far as possible from the boxes. I’ve avoided and allowed things to pile to the point where it is overwhelming to think about. Mostly in the basement. The basement has been my secret….my embarrassing secret. Timothy teased that maybe I had a condition like on the show “Hoarders” (And, yes…I know that people suffer from heart-breaking conditions that cause certain behaviors, and it’s no laughing matter…so please do not think I mean any disrespect. Nor did he. Teasing is simply the love language of the Gerken family.)


I thought what he said was silly. After all, I don’t hang on to things that have no value. I can throw away things that are obviously garbage. I don’t consider myself to be a pack rat, keeping things that shouldn’t be kept. What I have done is avoid dealing with things that require a thought, emotional attachment, or decision. Like boxes of my mother’s things. Things that open up feelings that I don’t have the energy to feel. I’ve done my best to stay frozen in time, allowing it all to pile up. Not going forward, not moving on. Just stuck.


Like ripping off a bandaid, there would be no time to contemplate, to rationalize, to formulate a plan to avoid the tasks. The bandaid was ripped off, and my wound is gaping. Last night, I reached her boxes….the scrapbooking items she maniacally ordered from QVC, her sewing materials, pictures the boys drew for their Ma-Ma, some of it stained with water spots, some still dripping and some salvageable. The tears puddled at the corners of my eyes as I pulled items from Timothy’s elementary school years, streaked with water. But, they overflowed like a dam breaking when I pulled from the rubble pictures of my mother, young and vibrant…full of life and promise. The pain slammed full force, releasing in heaving sobs, tightening my chest. There is a reason beyond my dislike for taking the time to clean and organize, beyond the excuses of busyness I’ve claimed, a reason that I have avoided these boxes. Tears poured as I mopped up sopping items and saved what I could. I kept moving through the sobs, thinking that really it is time. It is past time. I felt the shame of allowing the piles to go so long, mixed with the grace of knowing that I only longed to protect myself from this pain. Kind of silly for a grown woman, isn’t it? Thinking that I could hide by avoiding boxes of stuff, thinking that her life…my life lived in those boxes. We human beings really are fearfully and wonderfully made.


Three words ripped off a big band aid, and my wounds are gaping. But, sometimes the band aid has to come off, so that the wound can heal. I asked God what was happening at first. After all, He knows that Tim is trying to work two jobs and we are already drowning in busy and broken stuff, and not enough. But, I get it…or I’m starting to. God always wants more for us than we realize we need. His ways are not our ways for a reason. He doesn’t want me stuck, hiding under piles of boxes. He doesn’t want band aids covering deep wounds. He wants healing, letting go, moving forward, trusting Him, obeying, keeping an orderly home (for my sake and the sake of my family), being real.

In the next few days, we will be cleaning up and tearing the carpet out of our entire first floor so they can bring new, and painting the walls, too. That means not only our entire basement, but every closet and room in our house is going to be gutted and all furniture removed from the house. (Talk about ripping off a band aid!! Ha!) So, we may slip a little further behind on SGM stuff. Please bear with us and pray for us. We are all fine, and still laughing for the most part. We are thankful for a God who provides, for good insurance, and good friends and family. The load of laundry I was washing at Tim’s mother’s house is finished, so I need to get back to the site of The Great Gerken Flood 2011 ( or maybe...The Washer's Revenge...a good title is everything, you know). Thanks for letting me pour out my heart…for loving me anyway, and for your prayers.

Love to all…

8 comments:

Linda said...

Oh my goodness Kelly...my heart is so moved as I read this post. You write so beautifully...and I am feeling your pain sweet girl.

Even when it is time to "rip off the "Band Aid", so that the healing can begin...it still smarts! And before the wound heals, it oozes....especially when the scab gets knocked off in our struggles.

As you go through this healing process, just keep close to Him...and He will put a song in your heart, as you work through everything.

We all have to deal with issues like this at one time or another...but it is possible to get through them by God's Sufficient Grace!

I don't need to tell that to you sweet Kelly...Because if anyone knows "The Beauty of Sufficient Grace"...it's YOU!

{{Hugs}}
Momma Linda

Chris said...

What makes this funny is how OCD mom was about laundry!

Jenilee said...

wow... what a story and what a God moment for you to realize that He was doing something in you through this terrible thing. I will be praying for you!

Holly said...

Sorry about your washer Kelly! I know it's not as tragic or as bad as what a lot of people go thru but it still sucks nonetheless. I'm glad you were able to save a lot of the items from the water.

How often we all put things off for another day only for another day to pass into another week, another month, another year. Sometimes it takes things like this to kick our butts into gear even when we'd rather not. I'm sure I could use a good butt kicking.

May God be close to your heart and comfort you as you go through your Mother's things. I'm sure that will be emotional.

Spud said...

Ever since I read your last post I've been praying that God will help you with your struggles ripping off the Band-Aid. But I guess we know blessing come through raindrops - or washer floods, in your case. I'll be praying for you!

Sarita Boyette said...

I'm so sorry for all your troubles - just cannot imagine how tired and hurt you must be! Someway, somehow I hope that going through your Mom's things helps you to heal. I pray the Gerken household gets through these crises and back to normal soon.(((HUGS)))

Jennifer Ross said...

This post took me right back to the flood that happened to my family last year. It was a complete nightmare!! I lost thousands of dollars in materials, but there were some very special things that were also ruined. It broke my heart.

I had to go through everything I owned looking for mold.... remember!?

I felt so bad for you after reading this, just knowing how much time it takes to clean up and how hard it is to go through all of the memories. I hope that you're doing better. I've been thinking of you .....

Mattie said...

Oh Kelly! Bless your heart! I know it could be so much worse, but it still is so hard to look through all these things. I'm praying for God to protect your heart as you look wade through what remains.